IGNORED

Top game improvement irons?

Note: This thread is 3735 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For the 15 handicapper, whcih set would you reccomend? I'm not too concerned about workability, and most of my misses are fat or thin, not on the toe or heel. I'm looking for something that launches the ball very high.
I'm looking at the Titleist 775.CB, Callaway X-20, TM R7, Cobra FP, Cobra 3100 I/H, Wilson Ci6, and Clevland CG4.

905R 10.5* Aldila NV 65
904F 15* Graphite Design YS-6+
NVG2 UT 17* Fujikura Triple Action
755 3-PW Trispec steel
52/08, 58/08 rac TP Wicked putter (model 1)

I started golfing early last summer with a set of Ping I5's. Technically, I started with a "Walmart" set pretty much that I was borrowing for my first couple times out just to make sure I even liked the sport. Yeah......turns out this game can be addicting. So, I gradually improved my bag till I felt comfortable with what I was using for equipment compared to my skill level.

I couldn't be happier with the Pings I have now. For game inprovement irons aswell as players irons, Ping makes a great club. Im growing out of my Pings and I actually just picked up some Mizuno MP-60's, but thats just because I wanted a blade style iron with more workability.

I would say the I5's would be perfect for your handicap. In my opinion, the Raptures or the G5's would be "too much" of a game improvement iron for you.

All in all, you need to choose a club you feel comfortable hitting. If you get set on a "game improvement iron" but dont like the way they feel, look, play...then ur screwed already. If you get your hand on a set of "not so much" a game improvement iron, but you can hit em, they feel great, and you have confidence when looking down on them, then why not lean towards that one?

Good luck with the search, I just had to pitch the Pings, as I think they make a GREAT set of irons.

In The Bag:

Driver: R7 SuperQuad 460 9.5
3 Wood: G5 w/ Graffaloy Pro Launch Stiff
3-PW: MP60's Wedges: Black Pearl 52, 56, 60Putter: White Hot #4Ball: Pro V1

I started golfing early last summer with a set of Ping I5's. Technically, I started with a "Walmart" set pretty much that I was borrowing for my first couple times out just to make sure I even liked the sport. Yeah......turns out this game can be addicting. So, I gradually improved my bag till I felt comfortable with what I was using for equipment compared to my skill level.

You started golfing last summer and you're already a 9.6 hcp? Amazing! How'd you do that?

What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

If you get new irons, then what are you doing with your MP-60's?

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

For the 15 handicapper, whcih set would you reccomend? I'm not too concerned about workability, and most of my misses are fat or thin, not on the toe or heel. I'm looking for something that launches the ball very high.

Of that list, I'd go with the X20s, the 3100s or the CG4s.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

Practice, practice, practice. Im at where Im at right now because golf is a daily thing for me usually. If Im not on the course at least for a quick 9, I'll hit the range or putting green for a little bit. Golf just kind of came natually I suppose. I am nowhere near perfect though, I will never be able to make a career out of this game and thats just something I've accepted. Its just a lot of fun to try to perfect something that you will never be able to perfect.

As far as me getting new irons, I went FROM my Pings TO MP-60's. Went from I5 (game improvement cavity back) to MP 60's (players iron muscle back).

In The Bag:

I have some R7 Draw irons I got this summer. I was very happy them for improvement irons.

L4V M Speed
Insight XTD Hybrid 3 Wood
Insight XTD Hybrid 5 Wood
Idea A30S Hybrid 4 and 5 Irons
09 Burner Irons 6-AW CG14 WedgesF7 2 Ball Putter w/ dyssey Jumbo Grip Grom Bag

I tried out my buddies Mizuno MX-23's and really liked them. You might want to check them out, I've had a few people suggest them as well as their replacements the MX-25's.

In the bag:
Driver: SS 350
3 and 5 Woods: F-50
Irons 3-PW: BH-5
Wedges: MP 52-07, 56-11, 60-09Putter: Bettinardi A-01Ball: NXT TourHome Course: Sherwood Forest GC

taylormade r7's. r7 tp's are even a reasonable option if your ball striking is strong for your handicap. but yeah, the r7's are quite forgiving and decently workable. they're really great imo

XTD Pro - 9.5* - GD YSQ
GS Tour - 15* -GD Red Ice
Rescue TP - 17* - Fujikura TP
Idea Pro Gold - 20* - Mitsubishi JavlnFX
MP-30, 4-PW - Standard Lofts / 2* flat - TT DG RAC Z TP (54*/10*) X-Forged (60*/10*)Scotty Cameron TeI3 - 35"

Tested and hated the r7 tps

Not a fan of cast clubs and i found them to feel awful, going from my forged TM 300 series irons

Ended up with Callaway X Forged irons which im loving!!

I'd recommed the mizunos mp30 irons, really liked them on test

In My Bag:

Driver: Burner Driver 9.5 (UST Proforce V2 Stiff 76g)
3 Wood: Rescue TP 14.5* (Stock 75g Stiff)
2 Iron: G10 Hybrid (Ust Proforce V2 85g High Launch Stiff)Irons: X- Forged (Rifle 6.0 Shafts)Wedges: 248.06, 252.08, SM56.10, SM60.04Putter: 9 XG Ball: TP BlackBag: Ozone Stand...

Definitely should try the new MP-57 from Mizuno. Forged and cavity back for both feel and forgiveness.
What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

try the r7, you won't be sorry. I'm very impressed with these. I was playing x20 tours. These are high launching long beasts that still look like a blade. g'luk

IN THE BAG-
Driver Adams 8.5 Insight XTD YSQ-65 Stiff
Nike Sumo2 3 wood
Nike Sumo2 3 hybrid
Irons Taylromade r7 Steel shaftCallaway X 60 degree wedge MD groovesPutter Scotty Cameron Newport

Have any of you guys hit the Wilson Ci6s? They won the Golf Magazines game improvement irons club test in 2006 and they are only $300 at TGW.

905R 10.5* Aldila NV 65
904F 15* Graphite Design YS-6+
NVG2 UT 17* Fujikura Triple Action
755 3-PW Trispec steel
52/08, 58/08 rac TP Wicked putter (model 1)

recently tested the Cobra FP Graphite + Steel, and X-20 Pro with Rifle shafts.

personaly, i prefer the x-20s as the cobras had too much draw for me.

Taylormade R5XL Plus - Regular
Nike CPR 3 22'
Callaway X-14 Pro Rifle Stiff
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56'
Mizuno Bettinardi

Handicap Index: 9.6 ... ....not only impressive..but amazing~!~@!#$...i'm jealous
I started golfing early last summer with a set of Ping I5's. Technically, I started with a "Walmart" set pretty much that I was borrowing for my first couple times out just to make sure I even liked the sport...

Couldn't be happier with my Callaways. Didn't try the X-20s but I don't know what I would change about the Big Berthas. Definitely game improvement irons.
WITB:

Driver: HiBore XL 10.5° Fit-On M Gold Fujikura Stiff
Fairway Woods: Big Bertha 3W Fujikura Stiff
FW-Hybrid: Insight XTD 5w 18° Aldila DVS StiffHybrid: Idea Pro 3i 20° Aldila VS Proto Blue By You StiffIrons: Big Bertha 4-PWWedges: CG10 50.08 GW, CG10 56.16 SWPutter: White...

haha. Thats what the index sais. I've had some nasty spreads this season though. Lately (past couple of months) I've been shooting consistent low 80's upper 70's golf. But.......earlier this spring I had a couple disaster rounds of upper 90's and even a 104 I believe. 25 mph gusting winds on a links style course and my game was horrendous!!! I dont think I had a green that I didn't 3 putt. Im not as consistent as I'd like to be, but lately I've been happy with the results of this season.

Back to the topic on hand. Looks like you're getting pretty good feedback from some people on here. I hadn't even thought about the Mizuno MP-57's. I haven't seen them in person yet, but they look like a very forgiving, cavity-back iron and they're made by Mizzy so you cant go wrong!!! Give em a shot too!

In The Bag:

had the opportunity to test out the taylormade r7 irons ... ...these irons were carrying the balls 10~15+ yards further compared to the mizuno mx-23...and extremely forgiving and easy to hit....truely amazing distance...straight and high ...(had to make one minor adjustment to the placement of the ball, but figured i out after 2 or 3 swings...placed ball bit further toward the tip of the head...) ..almost made me want to switch to them....thought maybe the different placement of the ball was what was making me hit further...tried it with my mx-23...and nope...that wasn't it...

Note: This thread is 3735 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!