IGNORED

Hitting Net

Note: This thread is 3234 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Looking into buying a hitting net to put into my garage.  Just wanted to know what you guys think about what are some of the better ones out there.  Definitely looking for one that will hold up over time and not let balls fly into my drywall. I am looking at the net return nets but they are a little pricey.  Maybe that's because you get what you pay for? Just looking for input from all of you out there.

I bought a pretty nice one from e-bay, paid $46.00 + shipping. I believe they retail for about 79.00. Here's the one I got, it's 7' X 10' .

I would check e-bay, but bid with caution, and above all, Stay patient..and sneaky.. BTW, here's a link to some nets on ebay.    http://www.ebay.com/sch/Nets-Cages-Mats-/50876/i.html

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The only thing I don't like about those is that you don't get any feedback about your ball flight. I guess it's OK just to whack the ball.

- Disc Golfer

Looking into buying a hitting net to put into my garage.  Just wanted to know what you guys think about what are some of the better ones out there.  Definitely looking for one that will hold up over time and not let balls fly into my drywall. I am looking at the net return nets but they are a little pricey.  Maybe that's because you get what you pay for? Just looking for input from all of you out there.

Ever since you mentioned it, I've been looking into it as well. The net return ones make the most sense in that they have the narrowest profile. If you're short on space (not sure which part of the garage you're considering so I don't know if you are or not) then the cheaper half dome shaped ones are gonna be harder to fit in. A third option is to make your own. Go to thegolfevolution.com and look at the gallery of photos of their studio. They simply have a net a couple of feet in front of the back wall and I'm told by @iacas that the product is archery netting. If you want to get real creative, maybe you could install a bar on the ceiling and hang the net on hooks such that you could push it all against the wall when you are not using it and the wife can still keep her car in the garage. Everybody's happy.

One winter I used a net and hitting mat every day. Some days it was so cold I would break balls.   I couldnt see a ball flight but my ball contact was awesome in the spring.  I dont think I hit one fat or thin all year after that.

I have a Calloway net that I bought a few years ago and a mat that I've been using all winter.  I have it set up in my basement and I hit foam balls into it not real balls.  I have a finished basement and if I did miss I'd break a 4x4 window that would be expensive to replace.  I hit into it almost every day and it has helped me work on my swing.  This past Saturday I was with my daughter for her lesson and the weather was nice enough to open up the bay doors and hit real balls out onto the range.  Her instructor loaned me a 8 iron and I hit some and my contact was about as solid as its ever been.  I then hit some with a 3 wood, 5 wood and 3HL hybrid and 6 iron.  Every club was solid and it was like being in mid season form.

I find hitting into a net to be helpful and I leave it up all the time because I have the space.  If I do need to take it down its pretty quick and easy to set back up.   Using the foam balls also helps to make the net last a lot longer than hitting real balls into it.  If I had my choice I'd rather be hitting real balls on the range (assuming I couldn't be playing) but I do like using it.

The mat I use is a small one that is made only for the ball so I took some carpeting I had left over from the basement and cut a piece to stand on so that my feet and the ball are relatively level.  Otherwise the mat would have the ball higher than my feet, not by much but enough that I notice.

Beachball, you can hit Real balls into your net. What I do is get close enough where it's almost impossible to not hit the net, i.e. 6 to 8 feet from the net. I've hit driver into mine with out any issues. If your concerned that a ball would go through the net, hang a towel from the top, to slow the ball down.. ;-)

I own a "Izzo Big Daddy" and I put a hole in it by the second year. But even though this brand may be on the lower end, I love having it and hit into on a daily basis (not just winter). As others have suggested, I put some vinyl mesh over the area that gets hit the most. I highly recommend investing in a net and mat.

FWIW, I paid a bit extra for a higher-end, larger mat.

Jon

I couldn't resist anymore, after doing a lot of investigating I pulled the trigger on the truestrike mat and net return net.  I also purchased the side barriers for mishits.  The wifey gave me the go ahead but has emphatically said if I put a hole in her house their would be hell to pay, which is why I bought a more expensive net and side barriers.  Will send pictures when the whole thing is setup.  Thanks for the input.

I couldn't resist anymore, after doing a lot of investigating I pulled the trigger on the truestrike mat and net return net.  I also purchased the side barriers for mishits.  The wifey gave me the go ahead but has emphatically said if I put a hole in her house their would be hell to pay, which is why I bought a more expensive net and side barriers.  Will send pictures when the whole thing is setup.  Thanks for the input.

Lol. Good call!

Jon

Awesome! I'm jealous. Now, sign up for Evolvr so you'll have something to work on while you're banging away in the garage. :-P

Awesome! I'm jealous. Now, sign up for Evolvr so you'll have something to work on while you're banging away in the garage.

It will definitely make it easier to film myself hitting and not as embarrassing as taking my camera and tripod to the club.  I always find it funny that most of the people I have golfed with always want to be better but then never do anything to get better.  Their actions show that they are content with never being better than a 14 handicap.  Some of them actually are confused why I continue to get occasional lessons.  It's because I want to be a scratch golfer someday, will it ever happen...maybe not, but I am certainly going to try. I have the short game to do it, just need the long game to go with it.  No idea why I am rambling.

Anyways, Is the whole family included for the same price at evolvr?

It will definitely make it easier to film myself hitting and not as embarrassing as taking my camera and tripod to the club.  I always find it funny that most of the people I have golfed with always want to be better but then never do anything to get better.  Their actions show that they are content with never being better than a 14 handicap.  Some of them actually are confused why I continue to get occasional lessons.  It's because I want to be a scratch golfer someday, will it ever happen...maybe not, but I am certainly going to try. I have the short game to do it, just need the long game to go with it.  No idea why I am rambling. Anyways, Is the whole family included for the same price at evolvr?

I'm sure technically not, but you can probably get some help via your swing thread on here. BTW, @iacas Has already seen Bens swing and while he didn't offer any advice yet he did say "I like his transition move" ... So you know he's got a good base to work with. :)

I'm sure technically not, but you can probably get some help via your swing thread on here. BTW, @iacasHas already seen Bens swing and while he didn't offer any advice yet he did say "I like his transition move" ... So you know he's got a good base to work with. :)

He will be excited to hear that.  I know he has the legitimate potential to be great at golf if he would put in the time.  His swing is decent for only playing 2-3 times a year.  We went to Belmont yesterday and he hit 3 buckets of balls.  He got steadily better throughout the day.  Hopefully being able to hit in the garage and with a few more lessons he will get it down.

• 2 weeks later...
The side barriers and sandbags got delivered on Friday and the mat and net are supposed to be coming tomorrow. Will post picture when it's all setup.

I had a trip to Arizona in January so I bought an Izzo brand net and a little turf mat with a rubber tee. I swung all my clubs everyday for about a month prior to my trip. I hit each club about 25 times a day. I hit real balls and had it set up in my living room. Well any how I went on my trip as planned and I struck the ball well. When I came home I didn't hit into the net for a few weeks then decided to hit some balls one evening and hooked one terribly into my window! The curtains were drawn so it slowed it down a bit but I did end up breaking the first pane out. That ended my indoor practice with live balls. My wife made me take the net down and put it in the garage for the rest of the winter!

Pictures!!!

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Note: This thread is 3234 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!