IGNORED

Number of balls allowed by Pros in a single round or day?

DanoesqBall
Note: This thread is 3322 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have seen so many answers in an online search as to how many balls a pro can go out with and use in a round...

I've heard Johnny Miller joke about running out of balls..

How many are allowed to be in a Pros bag for an official round of golf?

Please and thanks for responses.

(I am sure this has been covered here, couldn't find it)

I don't think there is a limit. You can't swap balls out during a hole, though, so if you're playing well then it's gonna be 18. But as long as you need them and can fit them in your bag I don't think there is a max. (Your caddy might object at some point though :))

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There is nothing in the Rules of Golf to limit the number of balls you can use in a round.  Indeed if you run out of balls you can borrow from anyone.

I'm not aware of any tour condition of competition limits - other than where it is specified that the same make and model must be used throughout the round.

[SIZE=16px]I have seen so many answers in an online search as to how many balls a pro can go out with and use in a round...[/SIZE] [SIZE=16px]I've heard Johnny Miller joke about running out of balls..[/SIZE] [SIZE=16px]How many are allowed to be in a Pros bag for an official round of golf?[/SIZE] [SIZE=16px] [U]Please and thanks for responses.[/U] [/SIZE] [SIZE=16px](I am sure this has been covered here, couldn't find it)[/SIZE]

Yeah, I know what you mean. Miller kept bringing it up like it was an actual thing. Theres no limit other than the one ball condition the Tour puts in, which just means you have to play the same model ball throughout the round. If you run out of balls, one of the equipment brand guys will just run out more to you. John Daly used the ran out of balls excuse once during one of his blow ups, and everyone called BS on it for this reason.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Can 'borrow balls from anyone' during a round of golf?  Can't borrow a club, maybe borrow a glove or towel.

Got any relevant back-up info on borrowing balls during a round?  And esp borrowing from a fellow competitor.

Got any relevant back-up info on borrowing balls during a round?  And esp borrowing from a fellow competitor.

Decision 5-1/5 has your answer:

5-1/5

Whether Player May Borrow Balls from Another Player

Q. During a stipulated round, a player runs out of balls. May he borrow one or more balls from another player?

A. Yes. Rule 4-4a prohibits a player from borrowing a club from another player playing on the course but the Rules do not prevent a player from borrowing other items of equipment (balls, towels, gloves, tees, etc.) from another player or an outside agency.

If the "One Ball" Condition in Appendix I is in effect, the player would need to obtain the same brand and type of ball as required by that condition.

• Upvote 1

I have seen so many answers in an online search as to how many balls a pro can go out with and use in a round...

No limit.  The PGA Tour does use the "One ball" condition of the competition, meaning that if a player begins his round with a Pro V1x, he must play that same type of ball for the entire round.  He can't change to a Pro V1 midway through.  But as long as he plays the Pro V1x, he can go through 50 of them if that's how his game is going, and he's good as far as the rules are concerned.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Can 'borrow balls from anyone' during a round of golf?  Can't borrow a club, maybe borrow a glove or towel.

As Fr0sty has helpfully referenced.

Thanks Mr Snowman.

I suppose Hollywood has been lying to us all this time.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Indeed they have, not to mention the scene of the girlfriend being thrilled at his epic flameout, when it cost her new boyfriend roughly $1 million, a 5-year exemption on the PGA Tour, a 10-year exemption to the US Open and a 5-year exemption to all the other majors and the Player's Championship.

Yeah, I'm sure she'd be thrilled at throwing all that away.....

No limit.  The PGA Tour does use the "One ball" condition of the competition, meaning that if a player begins his round with a Pro V1x, he must play that same type of ball for the entire round.  He can't change to a Pro V1 midway through.  But as long as he plays the Pro V1x, he can go through 50 of them if that's how his game is going, and he's good as far as the rules are concerned.

Just to nitpick a bit, he can use a ball of a different make or model, but it is penalized in a way similar to too many clubs.  A 2 stroke penalty for each hole the ball as used on with a 4 stroke max.

The notion that if a player runs out of balls he will be DQed (not that YOU said that, but I think it is a general impression some have) is not supported by the model condition of competition in Appendix 1.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

So if a player borrows a ball, does it have to be the same make and model he played during the round?

Joe Paradiso

So if a player borrows a ball, does it have to be the same make and model he played during the round?

If the one ball rule is effect, then yes.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

If the one ball rule is effect, then yes.

And that rule is only in effect in tournaments, and even then usually only at a relatively high level, I think. I've looked up the rules sheets of some local tournaments in the past out of curiosity, and they haven't had it in effect as far as I could tell.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanoesqBall

Can he/she play a different type of PRO V1x? If he started with a 2009 ProV1x can he borrow a 2014 ProV1x?

Bob

WITB

Driver:                         Ping I25 10.5 PWR65 stiff Flex

Fairway Woods:          Ping TiSi Tec 3, 5 and 7 graphite Cushin stiff flex

Irons:                         Pinhawk SL 5-PW 37.25 inches 

Wedges:                     Reid Lockhart 52 and 60 quad bounce, 56 dual bounce 

Putter:                        Boccieri Heavy Putter B3-M (250 gram back weight)

Ball:                            MG C4 / Wilson Duo

Grips:                         Winn DriTac midsize Blue

Can he/she play a different type of PRO V1x? If he started with a 2009 ProV1x can he borrow a 2014 ProV1x?

That's a really interesting question! The sample one ball condition from the Appendix I on the USGA site says "During a stipulated round, the balls a player plays must be of the same brand and model as detailed by a single entry on the current List of Conforming Golf Balls." I think they list the balls by model year, so my intuition is that it has to be the same model year, but I'm curious what other think.

Dom's Sticks:

That's a really interesting question! The sample one ball condition from the Appendix I on the USGA site says "During a stipulated round, the balls a player plays must be of the same brand and model as detailed by a single entry on the current List of Conforming Golf Balls."

I think they list the balls by model year, so my intuition is that it has to be the same model year, but I'm curious what other think.

That was actually part of the reason I asked the question.  With Titleist balls one has to know how to decipher the codes (alignment markings) to figure out which year the ball is from.

Joe Paradiso

That was actually part of the reason I asked the question.  With Titleist balls one has to know how to decipher the codes (alignment markings) to figure out which year the ball is from.

Yeah, I recall seeing Titleist balls on the conforming list showing each model year individually, with the alignment marker on each described. So I think for purposes of this rule each model year is considered a different ball as long as it gets a separate entry.

• Upvote 1

Dom's Sticks:

Note: This thread is 3322 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!