IGNORED

Getting to single figures...

Note: This thread is 3121 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Do more of everything. I'm not sure single digits is possible playing once in a while and practicing only twice a week.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Do more of everything. I'm not sure single digits is possible playing once in a while and practicing only twice a week.

It's possible to not only get to single digits but well into single digits. I have played exactly 35 rounds in the last twelve months, and a similar amount for the previous couple of years, and that's the most I've ever played. Prior to these last few years I probably haven't averaged more than one round a month since high school (25 years ago). And I practice about twice a week, usually only at lunch time during the week for 30-40 minutes each time. And I'm currently in the 5's. The best way, IMO, is to find a good coach (I use EVOLVR) to confirm what your priority piece is and maximize your practice time. Also search this site for "Five S's of practice," " Practice like a stupid monkey," "quickie pitching video," and "don't accelerate your putter." Good luck - it can DEFINITELY be done.

It's possible to not only get to single digits but well into single digits.

Anything is possible but I think for most people only playing in 2 tournaments a month and practicing a couple times a week seems a little tough. But I may be wrong. So my original statement should have been that it is possible but pretty tough for most.

I think to get to single digits, the player has to have a little more natural ability than those who never get to single digits. Lot's of play, and lots of "correct" practice will get golfers as low as their natural ability will allow. Single digit golfers still make mistakes, but their mistakes are not a serious than say a 15 handicapper. The single digit golfer will also make fewer mistakes than the 15 handicapper. Single digit golfers have a more consistent, better over all game than do those with a double digit handicap. I think it also helps to play against better players. Another plus would be more usable distance with each club, than the other guy,  which would make single digits easier to obtain.

Just to throw this out here. If a golfer gets to single digits while playing most of their rounds at one golf course, one they are very familiar with,  is that golfer a true single digit player? What of the golfer who goes from an 8, to a 10 when playing a tougher course? Obviously some will be, but I think they will be in the minority. I realize that handicaps can be computed to a larger number when playing a tougher slope/rated course.

Just wondering........ :whistle:

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

As an 11 h'capper, who plays approx once a fortnight in comps with practice time limited to two nights a week max in between, what would people suggest is the best way to get into single figures???

First, welcome to TheSandTrap!

Luckily you can improve your swing a lot with just two nights a week. You just have to be invested in the process of isolating what you need to fix in your game and really work on things in the right way.

I recommend using Evolvr or posting your swing on this forum here by creating your own My Swing thread.

http://thesandtrap.com/f/4180/member-swings

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Anything is possible but I think for most people only playing in 2 tournaments a month and practicing a couple times a week seems a little tough. But I may be wrong. So my original statement should have been that it is possible but pretty tough for most.

If you practice properly and focus on one or two pieces then it can be done. Golfers don't get better because they hit balls without a purpose and they just "try" things. You can also get in a lot of great practice at home, don't need to even hit balls to improve your mechanics.

@Angus McCoatup , this would be a great book to check out. There is some great instructional information in the book but it'll also help you lower your scores without having to make any mechanical changes.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Thanks for your excellent responses fellas! I'm definitely going to read and digest this advice... especially the 'can do' responses. Golf scores are influenced by positive thoughts, surely?! In my pre-season 'this is the year for me' optimism, I was thinking of buying a book, too; anyone recommend any?

I think to get to single digits, the player has to have a little more natural ability than those who never get to single digits. Lot's of play, and lots of "correct" practice will get golfers as low as their natural ability will allow. Single digit golfers still make mistakes, but their mistakes are not a serious than say a 15 handicapper. The single digit golfer will also make fewer mistakes than the 15 handicapper. Single digit golfers have a more consistent, better over all game than do those with a double digit handicap. I think it also helps to play against better players. Another plus would be more usable distance with each club, than the other guy,  which would make single digits easier to obtain.  Just to throw this out here. If a golfer gets to single digits while playing most of their rounds at one golf course, one they are very familiar with,  is that golfer a true single digit player? What of the golfer who goes from an 8, to a 10 when playing a tougher course? Obviously some will be, but I think they will be in the minority. I realize that handicaps can be computed to a larger number when playing a tougher slope/rated course. Just wondering........:whistle:

That all depends on the course itself and how it suits the players game. I've said this here many times, but there's a course I play around here that I always score well on. If I played it exclusively, my handicap would probably be 3. On the other hand, there are several course around here where I'd be a 7 or 8 no matter how often I played them.

I was thinking of buying a book, too; anyone recommend any?

Make sure to read my post ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

It can definitely be done.

I got down to a 7.5 last year(from an 11) with HORRIBLE putting. I think I averaged 2 three putts per round. :-( I hit balls 2-3 times a week in March and April but after that I'd only hit balls a 2-3 times a month  and I'd play 36 or 45 holes per week on average.

Like others have said, do the online lessons and practice with a purpose. Many people think they can get better just hitting balls with their same old swing and using "tips", it doesn't work that way. If you keep doing what you've been doing, you're gonna keep getting what you've been getting.

• Upvote 1

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

• Administrator

If you keep doing what you've been doing, you're gonna keep getting what you've been getting.

To add to that, people who "think" they're changing something almost never are.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

To add to that, people who "think" they're changing something almost never are.

So true. Changes take more time, discipline and exaggeration of movements than most people are willing to deal with.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

I discovered some magic pills on ebay to get me into the single digits...so far I'm not quite there but I see these colors I never saw before!

CLUBS:ping: CART: :sunmountain: DRIVER: :callaway:GOLF BALL: :titleist:

Assuming the guy with the magic pills is joking (maybe he should get a job on the stage?) I was considering which is most beneficial; short game lesson or general swing lesson... Any thoughts?

Long game is the most beneficial. Think about it this way, what would you challenge a PGA Tour player to, a putting contest or who can get the ball closer from 150 yards out?

I will say that learning short game and putting is much easier than the long game. In that regard it also means you need less time to keep it maintained.

Check this thread out,

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 3121 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!