IGNORED

2015 Masters Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3297 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Can't remember a pre-Masters with so many great storylines going in:

- Tiger Woods back

- Rory McIlroy going for the Career Grand Slam and 3rd major in a row.

- Bubba playing well and with a legitimate shot at his 3rd green jacket in 4 years.

- Jordan Spieth playing his best golf thus far of his career and a chance to really take over as the face of golf in America.

- Phil Mickelson going into Augusta in great form.

- Tiger Woods back

- Bubba playing well and with a legitimate shot at his 3rd green jacket in 4 years.

- Jordan Spieth playing his best golf thus far of his career and a chance to really take over as the face of golf in America.

I think only the first three of these are major stories.

The other two might get a bit of play next week going into Augusta but Phil or Spieth (or both) will have to do something going into Sunday for it to get a some attention against Tiger's performance, whether it's a successful one or not.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm not even gonna lie, I'm pretty excited. I haven't been this excited about any tournament since the Farmers Insurance, these other guys just don't do it for me. I really don't have high expectations for him, but I know the media will hype the heck out of it.

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

- Tiger Woods back

Maybe a perfectly respectable four rounds in the offing, nothing more than that.

See above.

Tries too hard, gets frustrated, bad things will happen; misses cut or utterly anonymous by Saturday afternoon.

Bubba will be very prominent on the leaderboard by late Sunday afternoon.

- Tiger Woods back

A prediction: The 2015 Masters is going to surpass the 1986 Masters.

I'm not even gonna lie, I'm pretty excited. I haven't been this excited about any tournament since the Farmers Insurance, these other guys just don't do it for me. I really don't have high expectations for him, but I know the media will hype the heck out of it.

TGC, and in particular, Chamblee, are doing backflips right now.

Christian

I think only the first three of these are major stories.

The other two might get a bit of play next week going into Augusta but Phil or Spieth (or both) will have to do something going into Sunday for it to get a some attention against Tiger's performance, whether it's a successful one or not.

Whether you think it or not, there all great stories. Yes, the likes of ESPN (and most of TST) will only talk about Tiger through Friday afternoon, but once his tournament is over, the conversation will shift to what I think will be some great storylines for Sunday afternoon. It would be hard to imagine if Spieth and Rory aren't at least somewhat in the mix for the weekend...throw the likes of Phil and/or Bubba, DJ, Scott or Day onto the leaderboard and it's shaping up to be as good as golf gets in the post Tiger era. I'm hoping for Valhalla type drama on sunday....just enhanced by the best golf setting in the world.

The person most happy about Tiger playing is probably Rory. Since Tiger came back from back surgery, he's played in.... The Open Championship: Rory won The WGC at Firestone: Rory won The PGA Championship: Rory won The Phoenix Open: Rory won (on the other side of the Atlantic) Farmers: Rory didn't play If you like to bet based on trends, I guess you know where to put your money haha

I guess for good reason everyone is writing TW off. But come Sunday (maybe I'm just to big of a fan), I would be more surprised to see Tiger out of it then in the mix.

Whether you think it or not, there all great stories. Yes, the likes of ESPN (and most of TST) will only talk about Tiger through Friday afternoon, but once his tournament is over, the conversation will shift to what I think will be some great storylines for Sunday afternoon. It would be hard to imagine if Spieth and Rory aren't at least somewhat in the mix for the weekend...throw the likes of Phil and/or Bubba, DJ, Scott or Day onto the leaderboard and it's shaping up to be as good as golf gets in the post Tiger era. I'm hoping for Valhalla type drama on sunday....just enhanced by the best golf setting in the world.

Whether you like it or not, just because you say something doesn't make it fact; it can be just your opinion. Now that Tiger is playing the only other storylines that I think will pop up during the week are going to be Rory possibly winning a career Grand Slam & can Bubba do it three out of the last four years. Regardless whether Tiger performance well or doesn't, I think that's what is likely will be the talk on the weekend. Phil and Speith will get a mention leading up to the weekend but they won't be storylines unless they're in the mix on Sunday like anybody else who would be in the mix

Christian

Whether you like it or not, just because you say something doesn't make it fact; it can be just your opinion.

Now that Tiger is playing the only other storylines that I think will pop up during the week are going to be Rory possibly winning a career Grand Slam & can Bubba do it three out of the last four years.

Regardless whether Tiger performance well or doesn't, I think that's what is likely will be the talk on the weekend. Phil and Speith will get a mention leading up to the weekend but they won't be storylines unless they're in the mix on Sunday like anybody else who would be in the mix

I said they're all great stories. Whether ESPN (and the other talking heads) gives them coverage is not my concern or my yardstick for a great story. Of course Tiger is going to get 99% of the air time but as far as golf goes, you can't tell me that Spieth going for his first major or Phil going his fourth green jacket are not great stories. They're all good for the game. Phil isn't Tiger, but if you saw the crowds that followed him around on a Friday in Houston yesterday, he is still a big part of the sport and moves the needle.

I said they're all great stories. Whether ESPN (and the other talking heads) gives them coverage is not my concern or my yardstick for a great story. Of course Tiger is going to get 99% of the air time but as far as golf goes, you can't tell me that Spieth going for his first major or Phil going his fourth green jacket are not great stories. They're all good for the game. Phil isn't Tiger, but if you saw the crowds that followed him around on a Friday in Houston yesterday, he is still a big part of the sport and moves the needle.

My point is that whether they're great stories or not is a matter of opinion. What I'm saying is that I don't think they'll get much play. As I said, I think they'll get a mention but those storylines won't be developed, IMO, unless either or both in contention on Sunday.

Christian

I hope that Woods either misses the cut or is in contention to win. The worst is when he's -1 on a Sunday, the leader is -9 and CBS shows EVERY GODDAMN SHOT of Tiger Woods.

I hope that Woods either misses the cut or is in contention to win. The worst is when he's -1 on a Sunday, the leader is -9 and CBS shows EVERY GODDAMN SHOT of Tiger Woods.

I don't think we have to worry about this...

His 77-75 for the first two days won't let him stick around for the weekend.

• Administrator

That doesn't happen nearly as often as you think it does.

Will they show more of his shots than some other no-name who is -1? Yes. Every shot? Almost never - not even when he's near the lead. I've heard this complaint for years so I pay attention to it.

Anyway… networks tend to know where their bread is buttered. Tiger's the only player that moves the needle. If Rory's in contention, he'll come close.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

If he's in contention, it will be non stop TW. If he is going off Sunday morning 10 back, they will show him here and there. By the time it goes on tv , there may not be much to show, or well you know.

The way Jordan Spieth is playing right now, I'm not sure there's a guy going into Augusta with more confidence than he is. He wins tomorrow, that's four wins in 4 months (even though the Hero and Australian are non-PGA Tour events). Add a couple 2nds and 3rds mixed in. Very Tiger-like numbers he's starting to put up. He keeps this up, he's slowly turning into the most consistent player I've seen since Tiger in his prime. Not even Rory stays in contention this consistently.

Couldn't agree more ^^ he's playing all the time, plays consistently well, the guys a machine and after last years performance I can't help but think he'll be close to the top on the last day! He's quite a likeable chap too! But go duffner! ... And Rory!

Gaz Lee

Note: This thread is 3297 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!