IGNORED

Hit by a ball!

Ben
Note: This thread is 6034 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Let's hear your war stories.

I got hit for the first time (20 years) yesterday. Thankfully it wasn't too bad. just a member I was playing with practicing her chipping on the tee. She skulled one right at me, I gave a little jedi kung fu backhanded move to deflect it from a direct hit to my junk. Only a minor bruise on the joint where the pinky meets the palm.

Not me, but a member at my club was struck by a ball right in the chest about 30 yards from a kid hitting a full shot. The paramedics came and everything. But, the member shook it off, after a bit of time of course. That dude is tough.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

I remember one time just at our local Par 3 golf course, i was struck from a full shot. Luckily the person didn't play very often and it was a ground ball. Struck me in the leg. There was quite a large welt there for some time but it sooned disappeared...

I have had quite a few close encounters but that was my only actual connection ball to skin.

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

Home Course: Gawler Golf Club
Glove: Nike Tech Feel
Balls: Nike Power Flight

Ive never been hit, I hit my playing partner in the side of the head. It was last year and I hit my approach shot way right behind a set of trees, I was punching out to the green and he was standing in front of the green. It was probably a 30 yard pitch shot and I had to keep it very low. Well I swing and I sort of hook it and I cant see where he is because I am behind the trees, but I scream FOUR, and wham, right in the side of the head. He said when he heard me scream he turned his head away and the ball glanced off the side of his head. It cut him open and he needed a bandage but he played through. I felt terrible. We actually played yesterday and he brought it up.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

• Administrator
I've never been hit nor hit anyone. I've only ever seen two people get hit.

One was a blade/shank out of a bunker that hit a fat kid named Joe between the shoulder blades but off to the side of his spine. No problems - the fat protected him and it didn't hit any bones.

The second time I was standing 30 yards ahead and 20 yards to the side and 20 of a guy playing to a green with about a 7-iron. He flat blades it off the heel or something and it comes straight for us. I jump and it skips off the ground just below my feet, but it NAILS the guy next to me right on the lower back. He went down on the ground and started twitching, but was okay after five or ten minutes. He too missed the backbone (that'd really hurt) and he didn't even have a visible mark the next day.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I got hit once. Playing the first hole was walking down the cart path and the 18th hole plays up the other way. Guy tees off, ball bounces right in front of me on the cart path, takes a hard funny hop and shoots right into my chest. When the guy walked up he didn't believe me, thought I was joking.

I've only been playing for 6 months, but have already had a handful of very close calls. Judging from my track record I have difficulty believing I won't eventually get hit :) I've played about 80 rounds and have had 4-5 encounters with the ball missing me by a few inches.

I got hit back in high school. We were waiting in the fairway to hit our second shots, when a ball hit me right above the left elbow on the fly. No "Fore" or anything. It was a guy on our hole teeing off. I couldn't believe he didn't say anything. It took quite a few minutes to get my feeling back in my arm. Needless to say, I was a little jumpy every time I heard "Fore" for awhile.
play4him

Driver: Titleist 905R
3-Wood: Titleist 904F
Hybrid: Titleist 585 19 DegreeIrons: TitleistWedges (PW,Gap,SW,Lob): TitleistPutter: Bettinardi C04

I did the same thing hitting up onto the 17th green and almost hitting a guy on the 18th tee-off...I called "fore" as loud as i could and when i caught up to him apologised and he acused me of not calling "fore". I wasnt happy....Perhaps he should invest in a hearing aid...

However, these things do happen....My 18th hole was shit Grr

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

Home Course: Gawler Golf Club
Glove: Nike Tech Feel
Balls: Nike Power Flight

I got hit in the back by a playing partner. I was ahead and to his right, and he bladed a low screamer that slammed directly into my right shoulder blade. Had I been looking I could have avoided it, but I had my back to him walking toward the green. It hurt like hell, but wasn't that big of a deal. I had a welt for a few days. He felt awful though and kept apologizing for the rest of the round, so I didn't make a big thing out of it.

Titleist 907D1 10.5°
Titleist 906F4 15.5°
Titleist 906F4 18.5°
Wilson Staff Pi5 3-P
Titleist Vokey 56.14Cleveland CG12 60°Scotty Cameron Newport Two

I personally have never been hit. I've had some close calls though.....I have a funny story about this anyways, back in the 80's before I was born, my Dad was a Semi-Pro Bodybulder. He took 2nd Place in the Mr. Sooner State Compettition, so he was pretty huge. He was playing putt putt with my mom and some friends one day, and some guy on another hole got pissed off and whacked a ball really hard. It flew over and smacked my dad in the head, and knocked him out cold! The guy came over to apologize to my parents, and when he saw this massive guy laid out on the ground, he kind of mumbled an apology to my mom and then he turned around and ran as fast as he could to the parking lot, and went blasting out of there as fast as his car would go!....pretty hilarious.
Rynofskie

In My Well-Used Highlander Bag:

Driver:Redline RPM 9.5* Driver - TourLaunch Blue Shaft Rescue: "The Ripper" wal-mart special 3HybridIrons: ADAMS GT500 Undercut Widesole 4-LWPutter: Ray Cook custom mallet putterGuns don't kill people - the proper application of sight alignment, target...

One near miss and one dude really really hot at me.

A month ago we were playing a new course and I was looking for an approach shot I'd hit over the green. It seemed like we were on a high spot on the course. Everybody else would be lower. I hear FORE coming from my left side. I put left hand by my left temple and a second later I hear what sounds like the air sizzling. My Dad watched as a ball missed my head by about 2 inches. I looked over to see where it was coming from and there was an elevated tee about 220 yards back. Dude hit a slice, it was coming in on the fly.

A couple years ago I was at the range of my Dad's course, it is a bit short and there was some green space between a hole at the back. Anyway, I was really hitting my driver well on the range that day, I hit about 10 bombs in the same area, next thing I know is I see a guy walking very fast from that area to my part of the range. I see him and think, ok, this range session is over. My parents were with me and oblivious to this guy. I say "Ok, let's roll." So we walk to the parking lot and I'm thinking "Just get to the car, get to the car." He cuts across a shortcut and gets to me just at the car. He is HOT! He was a tatooed guy in his 40's and looked like he worked on the rigs. This dude thought I was trying to hit him because 6 or 7 missiles come in to the area he was standing. I honestly didn't see him and told him that. I swear he was going to beat the crap out of me if I would have said the wrong thing to him at all. I finally kind of convinced him it wasn't on purpose and we left. Still seems like it was yesterday, I still remember the feeling when I realized he was walking from the end of the range towards us. Yikes!

Swing = Stacked and On Plane when possible.
In My Bag:
Driver: Ping G5 9° Alidila NV 75g Stiff
3-Wood: Nike SQ 15° Diamana Stiff (Stock)
Irons: NIKE FORGED SPLIT CAVIY (S300)Wedges: Taylormade RAC Fe2O3 (Rust) 52°/56°/60°Putter: Titleist/Cameron Newport 1.5Ball: Looking for a new...

I was hit in the right calf by some guy's drive. It was getting late and we were playing the 18th hole at my home course. I guess this guy just decided hell if I don't hit now I won't finish. So he just teed off even though we were still in the fairway. The ball hit me on the fly about 230 yards out. I dropped like someone shot me. I had a bruise for 3 weeks and the outline of the dimples for about 6 months. I could've and probably would've kicked his ass had I been able to walk. They had to come out in a cart and carry me off the course. He just walked off the course didn't apologize or anything.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I haven't been hit myself but I've had dozens of close calls. I've almost hit people quite a few times, and actually hit someone else once. #17 at Sugar Bay, down in Warsaw (about halfway to Louisville on 71). Short par 5 but one of the tightest driving holes I've ever played. We've been behind these two hillbillies all day long, who themselves were stuck behind a slow foursome. So they hit their drives down the fairway, which bends to the right and can't be seen from the tee box because of a low hill. So after about 5 minutes I take a swipe with the 3 iron and probably hit the career 3 iron shot over the hill, slightly cutting the corner and landing in the fairway...somewhere out there. So my buddy takes his shot, and we drive up there. I ask if they'd seen my ball because they were closer than I thought they would be, and this guy was like "Yeah, got me in the arm". Upper arm on the outside. Ego aside from my 3 iron going as far as their drives, I offered to buy them both a beer at the 19th and they called it even. So yeah I got away with that one...
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I sliced a drive over some mounds onto another fairway once. It didn't look like there was anyone there so I never yelled Fore. Heard a weird noise but didn't think much of it. My buddy hit his drive and we went searching for mine. Turned out there was two guys by a cart in the other fairway. Seems I'd bounced my shot off the roof of their cart. Doh!

I met and played with one of those guys a few weeks later at a different course so obviously there were no hard feelings.

The first two instances take place at the Veterans' Center course in Brentwood, CA. The course is a par-3s course tightly packed into a small area. I'm on the second hole, which runs antiparallel to the first (tees near 1st green, green near 1st tees, although spaced enough apart). I hear "FORE! Second fairway!" and I place my stand bag down, and then, like an idiot, crouch on the wrong side of it (the smart thing would be to put it between me and the 1st tees). A ball bounces near me, then comes up and hits me in the elbow. It didn't hurt, although the guy who hit it was upset with himself for hitting me. He gave fair warning, and there's no hard feelings on my part.

The second instance was again on the second hole. I hit my shot to the green and missed left and short. There's a tree about there, and I was a beginner - this was literally about a month after I began playing. I thought I was good enough with my sand wedge to draw it around the tree (I've since disabused myself of this illusion) and onto the green. As you might imagine, I wasn't good enough; I hit the tree and then myself in the chest. Seeing as how I was a 120-lb weakling at the time (I'm presently a heavier weakling), I didn't hit it hard enough to even hurt me.

Count so far: Been hit twice, hit someone once; thankfully, only person hit is Y.T..

I was playing earlier this summer at Alondra Park in Lawndale. On the par-5 18th, a ball bounces off not one, but two trees and catches me in the arm. Eh, I've had girls hit my harder than that.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I was hit by a guy off a tee that was off to the left of the green I was on. It wasn't on the fly, but that was a real shank. He was very apologetic, so I wasn't pissed.

On another occasion someone hit the roof of my cart on the fly.

Driver: SasQuatch 460 Tour (10.5* w/ stiff Diamana Blue Board 83)
3-wood: Ti Bubble 2
Hybrid: 3DX Ironwood (20* w/ stiff UST V2); 3DX Genex (17* w/ stiff stock shaft)
Irons: MP-60 4- PW
Wedges: MP-R (52*-7, 56*-10)Putter: Bettinardi C-02

I've been hit twice.

First I was caddying about 6 years ago. The golfers i was carrying for had already teed off so i was not watching. A ball gets hit right at us as i'm taking a drink of gatorade and i get hit right in the leg on the fly. I finished the round but boy did that hurt.

About a month ago i'm playing a round with friends. I'm standing on the green waiting for my friends to come up. I'm watching the one person hit up and the other person though it was his turn. He hits up and it hits me right in the hip. That really stung.

During this season, i guess about 5/6 weeks ago, i hit a kid in the head. It was windy and cloudy. My 2nd shot into a par 5 and i miss judged the distance. I though it was like 220 downhill but it was really 200 downhill. My shot started my typical draw but because of the clouds i didn't see it was was hooking. It caught the trees and came in right on the tee box at which point i hear a really loud "OW". We get up there and I apologize and the kid even help me look for the ball. I felt terrible but he was a good sport.

Driver: 9.5* SQ Sumo Stiff
3W: 15* SQ Stiff
Irons: 3-PW R7 Stiff Flex
GW: X Tour Vintage 52 11 bounce
SW: X Tour Vintage 56 13 bounceLW: X Tour Vintage 60 8 BouncePutter: Monza CorzaBall: HX Tour 56

Note: This thread is 6034 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!