IGNORED

Course management - How would you react?

cbe_golfer
Note: This thread is 6032 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How would you react?.

• Low draw with a three wood/hybid into the green.
    • Draw layup in front of the creek with an iron.
    • Pitch it straight 100 yards and hit another iron into green.
    • Other..please describe.

Here's a situation. You are in the short grass perfect lie. You have 240 to the center of the green..very big landing area..no disasters around the green. There is a creek 60 yards from the front of the green. Your shot is a dog leg left turning at about 50 yards..tall clump of trees. You cant go over the trees and make it to the green. What would you play?

In the bag:
905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder S
X 15* Fujikura R
X 19* Fujikura S
4-P MP-14 TT DGS300 53* 588 Gunmetal MP series 56-14 TT wedge MP-R 60-09 Rifle SpinnerDFX Two ball Pro V1

Unless the tree is impossibly high I will try and cut the corner anyway. But I'm pretty good at working the ball with the 3 wood, so my second option is to hit a draw.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Course management will definitely depend on the skill level of the player. If a 240 draw is your bread and butter, then go ahead, but I'm guessing that shot is more likely in the bag of 5 handicaps and down. My play if I was a 15 handicap would definitely be to lay up to a distance that I like. My favorite distance is 125 yards out.

Swing = Stacked and On Plane when possible.
In My Bag:
Driver: Ping G5 9° Alidila NV 75g Stiff
3-Wood: Nike SQ 15° Diamana Stiff (Stock)
Irons: NIKE FORGED SPLIT CAVIY (S300)Wedges: Taylormade RAC Fe2O3 (Rust) 52°/56°/60°Putter: Titleist/Cameron Newport 1.5Ball: Looking for a new...

If I'm 240 yards out and you let me tee it up and hit driver, there's a very good chance that even a straight shot would leave me short. So unless I read this description wrong, I'm going to lay up to about 95 yards and hit a pitching wedge into the green. And if I'm long or short on my "to-lay-up" shot, then I hit a GW or 9I, both of which I'm fine with.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

240 yards is a 3 iron for me. It depends I may hook a 3 iron or lay up. Its kind of a difficult question, I mean is this a weekend round with your buddies or is it the last hole of the club championship and you have a 3 shot lead. Is there wind, whats the severity of the angle of the dogleg, is the lie level, etc. There are many scenarios in play. It sounds like a low percentage shot to me.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Pitch it straight 120 yards and hit another iron into green.
I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

I would be dumb enough to hit the draw into the green with my hybrid. I can't draw my 3 wood and 240 would be a stretch for me, but I do feel like at worst I could carry the creek and leave myself a pitch. Then again, thats one of the reasons I am a 16.9 and not a 6.9.

In reality I would top the ball and only advance it 40 yards. I would then follow it up by pushing my third into the trees on the right.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

I have no 240 yd. club other than my driver. I'm hitting a 9-iron about 130-135 and a SW or GW the last 100-110.

Bag: Grom
Driver: HiBore 10.5° Fuji Stiff
3W: V-Steel 15° Graphite Designs YS-6 Stiff
3h-4h: Bobby Jones Stiff
5i-PW: CG4 Steel StiffWedges: 588 DSG RTG 52°, 900 RTG 56° Low bounce, Reg. 588 RTG 60°Putter: Dead CenterBalls: Pro V1 Speed Cart V1Home Courses: Riverdale Dunes / Knolls,...

I would be dumb enough to hit the draw into the green with my hybrid. I can't draw my 3 wood and 240 would be a stretch for me, but I do feel like at worst I could carry the creek and leave myself a pitch. Then again, thats one of the reasons I am a 16.9 and not a 6.9.

lol..that is precisely what I would have tried two months ago...with a three wood though. I took my three wood out of the bag for that reason

and to NM Golf's variables..lets assume 20 degrees left..no wind..perfect lie..playing a casual round.

In the bag:
905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder S
X 15* Fujikura R
X 19* Fujikura S
4-P MP-14 TT DGS300 53* 588 Gunmetal MP series 56-14 TT wedge MP-R 60-09 Rifle SpinnerDFX Two ball Pro V1

I guess it depends how much of a dogleg you are talking about. I normally draw the ball with the three wood so I would feel comfortable with that shot.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I can usually crank my 2h over 230, and the club seems to have a natural draw bias.

Generally I would feel comfortable going with this shot; but if I am not striking the ball well I would lay-up with a PW/9 iron to about 100 yards, and have a full SW/LW in.
"There is no miracle tip. Fix your swing."

In the bag:
Sumo2 w/ Aldila VS Proto 60g S
Halo 2h Apex Pro 4-PW Vokey 2 52.08/56.10/60.04 Red X #3 34" Tour Deep

I won't try and pretend that I haven't tried to the hit the 240y draw with my 3 wood many times in the past in similar situations but with my ability it generally leads to at least a double!! Hopefully I would lay up about 120 yards out and hit wedge into the green.

23Rounder

Tour Burner 9.5 / RE*AX 60g Stiff
Launcher 13 & 17 Fairway / Fujikura Gold Stiff
MT Pro-C 3-W / DG S300 MP 52.07 Vokey SM58.12 Tracy II, 34" Putter Z-URS or NXT Tour

• Administrator
I'd draw a 3-wood or hybrid (the latter if I didn't want to go long for sure), but it wouldn't be very low.

50 yards is a heck of a draw. You probably won't encounter this kind of situation that often.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Here's a situation. You are in the short grass perfect lie. You have 240 to the center of the green..very big landing area..no disasters around the green. There is a creek 60 yards from the front of the green. Your shot is a dog leg left turning at about 50 yards..tall clump of trees. You cant go over the trees and make it to the green. What would you play?

Could you get a picture off Goggle Earth like this one below? For your situation: What I should do and what I would do are two different things. I should lay it up in front of the creek and and try to leave myself a 100 yard gap wedge shot. What I would do is grab my 3-wood and try to draw it around onto the green. The problem is I hit a fade shot normally.. So more than likely I would hit a hook and and bend it right into the trees.. .

The 18th hole at White Lake Oaks, where I play regularly is a similar situation, but with the opposite layout. It's a double dogleg that requires a draw off the tee. A good tee shot will leave you 200-230 that requires a fade or a very high second shot over trees. There is water from 50-75 yards infront of the green. In this case I normaly hit my 3H off the tee, as I tend to fade my driver and 3 wood but can draw the hybrid. There is plenty of bail out room right, but if you end up on the right half of the fairway you would have to bend the ball about 60 degrees to get it on the green. If you miss the fairway right, forget about the green in 2. In both of these cases I hit whatever will leave me 90-100 yards to the green. Usually 9 or PW. If I am in the left half of the fairway I have no hesitation. I hit either my 3 wood or the hybrid again. I feel that even with a mediocre shot I will still clear the water and leave myself with a pitch and putt for birdie. It helps that the shot is a fade and there is some room on the left side for error. It's a little risky if you miss left as there are willow trees and a drainage ditch, but it's a decent risk/reward ratio.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Note: This thread is 6032 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!