IGNORED

140mph + head speed, but driver is still bad.

Note: This thread is 3096 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

That's all well and great, but is the purpose of your video just to prove your swing speed (it's been done in the past by others, to mixed results). Wasn't the whole point of this thread trying to figure out why you weren't hitting your driver well?

Get some video and start a swing thread. Work on this:

I don't really care what your swing speed is or isn't. You shouldn't care what I think it is, either. Distance is the hardest part of the game, and if you have it in spades, you should be focusing on the parts of your game to get you down better than a 9, not worrying about what a bunch of people you've never met before think of your claims on the internet.

Good point, I hope to get to the driving range in the next few days. BTW, I have never seen a video of my onw swing, so this should be a good learning experience.

Good point, I hope to get to the driving range in the next few days. BTW, I have never seen a video of my onw swing, so this should be a good learning experience.

Great. When you do, go ahead and start your swing thread here: http://thesandtrap.com/f/4180/member-swings

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by JapanDave

I really want to post a vid ASAP and I can't get to the driving range. I could tee up an empty tee and take vid and you guys can judge for yourselves if the shop is fudging its speeds???

I have ordered a swing speed monitor and should be here in the next few days. But if anyone wants a vid before that I am happy to post one.

That's all well and great, but is the purpose of your video just to prove your swing speed (it's been done in the past by others, to mixed results). Wasn't the whole point of this thread trying to figure out why you weren't hitting your driver well?

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogielicious

Check these two threads out.  To reduce spin, you need to change your angle of attack to be nearly zero or even positive.

I don't really care what your swing speed is or isn't. You shouldn't care what I think it is, either. Distance is the hardest part of the game, and if you have it in spades, you should be focusing on the parts of your game to get you down better than a 9, not worrying about what a bunch of people you've never met before think of your claims on the internet.

I agree with Bill @JapanDave .  Let's focus on helping you optimize your driver.  It could be a simple as ball position and optimizing attack angle.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Here are some pics of what I was saying. Put a tee in the ground where you normally put the ball when hitting driver. Tee up a ball about 4 inches in front of the empty tee. Swing like normal at the empty tee, and let the other tee and ball get in the way. Tee the ball higher than you usually do. You might have to mess with distance between the tees. Jack

• Upvote 1

Jack

OK, I bought one these http://www.amazon.com/Jupiter-Yupiteru-Atlas-Swing-Trainer/dp/B004QTOX72 and tried I few swings one of those practice balls. With a 45" club I recorded a 130mph max swing speed averaging out at about 128mph. You set it up behind the driver and there were no wild card numbers and I took about 40 to 50 swings. I am still yet to be able to get to the driving range, but should be able to in a few days so I can post a video of my swing.

OK, I bought one these [URL=http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&linkCode;=ur2&camp;=1789&creative;=9325&tag;=thesandtrap-20&location;=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FJupiter-Yupiteru-Atlas-Swing-Trainer%2Fdp%2FB004QTOX72]http://www.amazon.com/Jupiter-Yupiteru-Atlas-Swing-Trainer/dp/B004QTOX72[/URL] and tried I few swings one of those practice balls. With a 45" club I recorded a 130mph max swing speed averaging out at about 128mph. You set it up behind the driver and there were no wild card numbers and I took about 40 to 50 swings. I am still yet to be able to get to the driving range, but should be able to in a few days so I can post a video of my swing.

Gettin closer to reality but still skeptical...look forward to the vid.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Hey Jack,

OK, I see what you mean. I will give that a try.

But try teeing it up so it lines up off your big left toe or just inside it so you're hitting up on the ball.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I have no idea what length shaft I was using at the shop, so I can't comment on that. And you will certainly get that vid, I just bought a GoPro HERO 4 last year for the family ski trips and will take the footage with that as well the data from the swing pro. I do have a vid with some empty tee swings if that will suffice for you for now?

Ultimately though , I want to post a vid with me hitting an actual ball so I can get some swing advise.

@Jack, I gathered that was at an angle, still yet to try that though.

Way to go distilling it down to the salient points Bill!

@JapanDave forum. Look forward to your swing thread. I will be going back to Japan in July again this year for work. Hopefully I will be able to get around in. I could not last time two years due to time constraints.

Vishal S.

I'm confident the OP has mistaken clubhead speed for ball speed. Ball speeds of 150 with a driver and 125 with a 7 iron make a lot of sense... Clubhead speed makes none. Also those ball speeds are very close to the pga tour average which would mean that he is a fast swinger.

Yeah, I was thinking that myself the whole time, but the OP really seems to know the difference.

Vishal S.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunther

I have no idea what length shaft I was using at the shop, so I can't comment on that. And you will certainly get that vid, I just bought a GoPro HERO 4 last year for the family ski trips and will take the footage with that as well the data from the swing pro. I do have a vid with some empty tee swings if that will suffice for you for now?

Ultimately though , I want to post a vid with me hitting an actual ball so I can get some swing advise.

@Jack, I gathered that was at an angle, still yet to try that though.

You may know this already.  The latest GoPro HERO 4 SW update allows 720p 250 FPS mode.   I get a nice slow mo video using the mode.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Way to go distilling it down to the salient points Bill!

@JapanDave, welcome to the forum. Look forward to your swing thread. I will be going back to Japan in July again this year for work. Hopefully I will be able to get around in. I could not last time two years due to time constraints.

Thanks, I have been here for nearly 20 years now. My wife and I own a private hospital and a few other business which tend to keep me busy.

Yeah, I was thinking that myself the whole time, but the OP really seems to know the difference.

I know the difference. And I know that I am hitting the 2 iron and 3 wood far enough to warrant the speeds I have been speaking of. The shop may have fudged the speeds to be getting close to 150mph on the machine. But, then again, I have no idea what length club they handed me for the tests. Like I said earlier, I am getting max speeds of 130mph with a 45" club. I have no problem posting my swing, I just need to get the time to get to the driving range, so if you guys can hold out for a few more days I will post it up.

@ rkim291968 , I was trying to set the camera to that setting, but I can't get more than 120fps????

@rkim291968, I was trying to set the camera to that setting, but I can't get more than 120fps????

720p/250fps is only available after upgrading the SW.   The GoPro sent me an e-mail this year saying they have a new SW upgrade.  I followed their instruction to update the SW.   You may have to get the new SW from their site, and follow their instruction if you haven't done so.   Once I updated my camera, the option became available.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Where da video at, yo?

Like I said earlier, I need to make some time to get to the driving range. I am working all weekend this week and the latest any of the ranges open to is 10pm. I will post, don't worry.

Note: This thread is 3096 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!