IGNORED

USGA to allow cellphones at U.S. Open for first time

boogielicious
Note:Β This thread is 3262 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

From golfweek.com

http://golfweek.com/news/2015/apr/16/usga-allow-cellphones-us-open-first-time/

Just wait for the call that ruins a shot!

Quote:

By Andy Zunz

The U.S. Golf Association will allow the use of cellphones at the 2015 U.S. Open at Chambers Bay, a policy that will be enacted for the first time in the event's history.

Mobile devices less than 7 inches in length will be permitted on the grounds – including cellphones and PDAs – but must be on a silent or vibrate setting. Cameras – including cellphone photography – are only permitted during practice rounds Monday through Wednesday, and video recording is prohibited

The USGA will set up four "phone zones" for attendees of the event in University Place, Wash., where Wi-Fi will be provided, according to Golf.com.

"It's a policy we've been looking at for some time at the USGA," said USGA director of public relations Janeen Driscoll to Golf.com. "Previously, the use of mobile phones had been a concern to us from a security perspective, but we’ve seen we’re able to control that and that in this day and age, people are accustomed to having (cellphones on) them for their own personal security."

The U.S. Open will be held at Chambers Bay June 18-21.

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So what are they going to do when a phone rings? Β Ejection? Β Warning? Β Angrily waving the QUIET sign in their face?

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, β€œexcept golfers."Β 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

So what are they going to do when a phone rings? Β Ejection? Β Warning? Β Angrily waving the QUIET sign in their face?

They'll hold up "Quiet your cell phone" signs to the crowd!

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

they are only about 7 or so years late with revelation but at least they figured it out.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- ClevelandΒ 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5Β Β 

they are only about 7 or so years late with revelation but at least they figured it out.

A golf course is no place for cell phones. USGA is making the wrong call. (pun intended) People are perfectly capable of going a few hours without one despite what they might believe

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD Β :bridgestone: TD-03 PutterΒ  Β 
:tmade: 300 Tour 3WΒ Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β  :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H HybridΒ  Β  Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β 
:tmade: TP MC irons Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β 
:ping: Glide 54 Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β 
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

I went to the US Open a few years ago, and had no issues with leaving my phone back at the hotel.Β  I could definitely go many hours without having to text (call) someone.Β  I only wish I had access to a camera though!Β  Oh well, the footage will live in my head forever.

Interesting that we love to pump up the golfing public as a bastion of sportsmanship and gentlemanity and yet we don't trust ourselves to mute our cell phones at the U.S. Open.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3Β |Β 15ΒΊ 3-Wood: Ping G410 |Β 17ΒΊ 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 |Β 19ΒΊ 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo |Β 54ΒΊ SW, 60ΒΊ LW: Titleist Vokey SM8Β |Β Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Interesting that we love to pump up the golfing public as a bastion of sportsmanship and gentlemanity and yet we don't trust ourselves to mute our cell phones at the U.S. Open.

You can't trust people. People are terrible. People can't even be bothered to use a turn signal while driving a deadly weapon. Nice wordsmithing BTW

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD Β :bridgestone: TD-03 PutterΒ  Β 
:tmade: 300 Tour 3WΒ Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β  :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H HybridΒ  Β  Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β 
:tmade: TP MC irons Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β 
:ping: Glide 54 Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β 
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

You can't trust people. People are terrible. People can't even be bothered to use a turn signal while driving a deadly weapon. Nice wordsmithing BTW

Disagree with your general premise, but as you know, it only takes one bad apple to screw it up for everyone. And unfortunately, there's ALWAYS one......

It is odd how our necessities have changed over the years. Β It seems that nobody can live without a cellphone anymore. Β I never dreamed that texting would be preferable to a conversation, but I think it is. Β Hell, I drove a car for for 40 years without a tire pressure monitoring system and now I consider it very important. Β Just think, us older guys would carry two spare tires as a child and now we don't even know where the tire tools are located. Β Kind of off subject, but our values have changed with the advent of electronics.

A golf course is no place for cell phones. USGA is making the wrong call. (pun intended) People are perfectly capable of going a few hours without one despite what they might believe

At a visceral level I completely agree with you. Β While I do not know how old you are, I fall into the "old fart" category and think that "hey we got along without these things for decades, we can put them aside for a few hours."

The problem is that more and more people, and it will just keep increasing, never went ANY time without them, as I did for my first 50 years on the planet. Β So the thing which I regard as able to be put aside for a few hours, is for them something that they virtually always have. Β We just look at it different. Β And I can't really claim I am right and they are wrong, because it is a cultural change, not some kind of moral change. Β And cultures change.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

The public space is the current 'tragedy of the commons'. Β No one owns it so no one cares about it. Β The open sea, no one owns it, so each boat can harvest all the fish possible. Β What's the common resource of this discussion? Β IMO, caring for the quiet of nature and having a respect for players and fellow spectators.

I sure don't care if you want to stick your face in facebook all day. Β I do care if you drive a car and simultaneously text your girlfriend. I don't care if you want to hear earphones all day and listen to punk rock or beethoven. I do care if you stop at the bottom of the busy down escalator to adjust the volume.

1. The tragedy of the commons is an economic theory by Garrett Hardin, which states that individuals acting independently and rationally according to each's self-interest behave contrary to the best interests of the whole group by depleting some common resource.

Nothing a little marshaling can't resolve - reminder at the gate, around the greens/tees (when players aren't there playing, obviously) to remind the golf fans to keep the phones quiet. Β Welcome to the 21st century - cell phones are important to people to keep in contact w/ work, family Β  I get a kick out of the Brit Open pushing a phone app for their tournament, then they go and ban having phones at the tournament. Β  Β If you want golf to be a popular spectator sport, better adjust with the times......

A few reminders, and having a few phone zones where fans are allowed to talk works and is fan friendlier.......

pretty sureΒ all relevent data will prove that you are wrong on this one. hell even the highest end private clubs...allow use of the phone in some places and they get more open to it evey year. 10 yrs ago it was a borderline unforgivable thing to use a phone at some of these places now it is ok if you are discreet. times changes you move with them or get left behind.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- ClevelandΒ 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5Β Β 

"Left behind"? Β As the bus drives into the sewer water? Β OK, Β no problem. Β I'll stay high and dry and left behind. Β  5 years ago, 40% of the WWW was garbage, now 88% is garbage. Β Why spend my precious time there?

Never underestimate the self importance people mistakenly place on themselves.

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

Note:Β This thread is 3262 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!