IGNORED

Am I the only one that doesn't carry a 3 wood??

fastfed
Note: This thread is 6035 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I never was able to hit a fairway wood off the...Fairway.. I never used a 3wd or 5 or 7 wood. I just couldn't hit them..

So for years I have been just using my 3 iron or 2 iron for my long shots. I would of course be short but it was just allot safer for me.

That being said about 4 months ago, my friend let me use his hybrid and I must say I was awesome with it.. I went out and bought this

It was a cheap 50.00 club and I was going to just reshaft it. But I must say I don't even need to waste my time with the shaft because the stock one suits me just fine..

So I carry my Driver, hybrid, 2 Iron, 4-9 iron, PW,56 Cleveland, 53 Vokey Spin milled and a putter. Thats it..

I use my hybrid as a 3wood ( thinking about getting a super low degree Hybrid next ) and it works fine, I hit it 205-215 yards dead straight.

I have no use for a 3wood..

Anyone else with me??

or am I alone?

i have an 18° 2H i use as my "3 wood" but im also about to buy a new stronger hybrid to hit off the tee. so far (from my research) the best options for us are the 14° 4dx 15° ping g10 and the 16° baffler. im gonna try to demo them all this weekend and make a purchase. as of now im leaning towards the ping g10. 3 woods are to long for me and i cant hit them off the deck either so im goin the hybrid route too. my new stronger hybrid will be used mainly off the tee because my course has a lot of tight tee shots.

In my wasabe green ozone bag:

Hibore 9.5° w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft Driver

G10 15° 1H w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft G10 18° 2H w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft T-Zoid Pro 3-PW S300 CG10 52° 2 Dot Black Pearl CG10 56° 2 Dot Black Pearl Newport 2 TerylliumLow Score = 88

I am now using a Taylor Made 14 degree Rescue hybrid instead of my 3 wood. I hit it 220-240 yards from a tee, fairway, or the rough. I love the club. I just added a Nickent 3dx 3 and 4 hybrid to replace my 3 and 4 iron. Wish I had these clubs years ago.

Beware of old dudes with old clubs and new grips.

The hybrids come in as low as 14 or 15 degrees which would give you @ 4 wood equivalent. I think the shafts are shorter which may work in your favor over a fairway wood.

That being said, I love my 3 wood from the fairway and hit a 240 yard shot onto a par 5 Sunday. It is a great club but it does take a consistent swing to get good results. I never leave home without it.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Got rid of my 3 wood a year and a half ago, and replaced it with a 5 wood with a 3 wood shaft. Hit it almost as far, more control and much easier to hit off the deck for me. Off the tee I have good control with it, and my yardage with it fits my home course well for the holes I have to use it on.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

I have used a 3 and 5 wood for years and I would never think about taking them out of my bag. They are my go to clubs when im hitting my driver poorly, and the loss of distance is not as penal as hitting a hybrid or long iron.

And your right about Nicklaus clubs. His high end offerings suprise alot of people.
In The Bag

Sumo 13* w/aldila NVS stiff
BB 2004 3wood
Boxer 3,4&5 Hybrids A3 6-Pw CG11 52* & 56* 2 Ball Srt 33"Ball Nxt Extreme

I have used a 3 and 5 wood for years and I would never think about taking them out of my bag. They are my go to clubs when im hitting my driver poorly, and the loss of distance is not as penal as hitting a hybrid or long iron.

i replaced a 5 wood with a 2H and i hit it longer and more consistant.

In my wasabe green ozone bag:

Hibore 9.5° w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft Driver

G10 15° 1H w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft G10 18° 2H w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft T-Zoid Pro 3-PW S300 CG10 52° 2 Dot Black Pearl CG10 56° 2 Dot Black Pearl Newport 2 TerylliumLow Score = 88

I wish they would carry a low loft degree, I want a 15 bad!

My buddy and I have been talking about this very question. I feel that I just need to practice more with the three wood, as my buddy is thinking about moving to a high lower lofted hybrid.
DBake
Titleist 909D3 10.5* Tour Green 89 Stiff
Titleist 906F2 15* v2 85 Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 2-PW S300
Mizuno MP-R 52* & 59*Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5Titleist Pro V1Leupold GX-1The Home Course (75.7/130)

I havent carried a 3 wood for the past few months and have been fine without it. If I ever find a 3 wood that I am confident with I will consider putting one back in the back but for now I will just stick to the 1 & 2 hybrids I carrying
Driver - TaylorMade R9 460 10.5°
3 Wood - TaylotMade Burner Tour
3 & 4 Hybrids - Adams a7
Irons - R7 tp 5-PW
Wedges - Vokey SM Black Nickel - 52º - 56º - 60ºPutter - Scotty Cameron California - SonomaSkyCaddie - SG4Lowest Round - 68 - Par 72 /67.6/120Lowest Tournament Round - 69 -...

My three wood gets swapped for a low lofted hybrid when the conditions suit (Three wood goes in when it is needed off the tee while a low lofted hybrid goes in when its needed off the deck.).

I have no use for a 3wood..

Well, I love my 3-Wood, admittedly. I just started hitting it well off the fairway, as opposed to just off the tee. But there are pros on TOUR who don't carry a 3-Wood, IIRC. I believe Bubba Watson is one of them.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's probably the 9" between your ears thats not letting you hit fairway woods.

Try some different ones with a positive attitude. You can never hit a club that you think you can't hit. Might just be the club.

In My Bag: This week
Driver: Nike square Sumo 10.5
4-Wood: Nike square Sumo 14.5
7 wood Cleveland launcher,
5 utility 19* clevelandIrons: 4-7 Titleist 690mb 8-pw Mizuno MP 33Wedges: Gauge Design GAS II 52* and 58* Putter: Scotty Cameron TE 10 2.5TP Mills or Cameron's or Bettinardi's. let me...

As other have said, the 3-wood for me is a must when I can't hit my driver.

DRIVER - Tight Lies/Graphite/10°
3 WOOD - Sasquatch/Graphite/15°
5 WOOD - Tight Lies/Graphite/19°
IRONS - X-22/Steel/3-PWAW - SV Tour Black Satin/Steel/52°SW - SV Tour Black Satin/Steel/56°LW - SV Tour Black Satin/Steel/60°PUTTER - Black Series #2/34"

I am now using a Taylor Made 14 degree Rescue hybrid instead of my 3 wood. I hit it 220-240 yards from a tee, fairway, or the rough. I love the club. I just added a Nickent 3dx 3 and 4 hybrid to replace my 3 and 4 iron. Wish I had these clubs years ago.

I have the same club and use it as my go to a lot of the time. no 3 wood here.

In the bag:

Burner 10.5
Rescue mid 16, 19, 22, 25
X-16 irons Forged+ Vintage 48, 54, 60 Circa 62 #3 A009125

Driver, 4Wood, 3 iron here.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Note: This thread is 6035 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!