IGNORED

A bad round

Note: This thread is 3262 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Last weekend I got off to a great start but after I double bogeyed a hole I completely lost it. Does anyone have any tips on how to remain focused after shooting a bad hole.

I don't have a quick cure specific to golf. Maybe others can chime in with their golf specific strategies. From other aspects of my life I have been turned on to mindfulness. Not to get TMI, but I have some emotionally difficulties (think anger management but with all emotions). Mindfulness was a strategy given to me to work on this.

Mindfulness - t he intentional, accepting and non-judgemental focus of one's attention on the emotions, thoughts and sensations occurring in the present moment

An example when you are playing golf would be: After a triple bogey you say to yourself "I just got a triple bogey and am feeling _____ (disappointed, angry, frustrated, etc)". You do this without judgement. So you don't say that sentence to yourself and then follow it with "feeling _____ (dissapointed, angry, frustrated, etc) is bad, and now I will probably screw up the next hole.....etc, etc" You just say to yourself what happened and the emotion and just accept it or let it go. Kind of like reminding yourself that you are in control. Just because something just happened and my natural reaction was to be angry about it, doesn't mean I have to go on being angry.

This may sound like some hippy dippy bullshit to some people. It certainly did to me the first time it was suggested to me. All I can say is if you practice it and really buy into it and work on not being judgmental of your emotions (ie anger, frustration, disappointment are bad), it works.

If you're intersted google it and you'll find all kinds of variations and different techniques. It works for me. Rather than getting wrapped up in an emotion and letting it take you were it will, you just acknowledge it and move on.

Last weekend I got off to a great start but after I double bogeyed a hole I completely lost it. Does anyone have any tips on how to remain focused after shooting a bad hole.

We all handle things differently and I'm sure you'll get a lot of different perspectives on the question.  For me, the best thing I can do is tell myself that it's done and I can't change it, but I can make up for it and get that stroke back on another hole, so no harm done.

Another thing that really helps me focus if I'm frustrated from a bad hole (or nervous because I'm shooting well and don't want to screw it up) is to tell myself "This is the only shot that matters" as I approach and prepare for each shot.  You can't re-do the ones behind you and the ones yet to come aren't here yet, so the only thing you have any control over at the moment is the shot you're about to hit.

Just a side observation, but if a double bogey makes you "completely lose it", maybe you should re-evaluate your expectations (especially assuming that your handicap is correct in your profile).  A double certainly isn't that uncommon for a bogey golfer.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

While my advice might not be the best, here is what I do. Came out and felt great on the range. Striping the ball. Dead center of the fairway on the first hole. Then found myself shooting a 51 on the front. It was a mess. I just said screw it, had a beer, relaxed because, hey, this might be my first triple digit round in a long time. Then it hit me. I didn't care about my score I just relaxed, hit greens (or was close) chipped and putted for a bunch of pars to my way to a a 37. 88 felt pretty damn good after that start. Just remember, this is a game and we're not making any money.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

As mentioned, NO CARD WATCHING. Play 18 one hole rounds. Not 1 18 hole round. You aren't playing for millions of dollars, so why worry as if you are? And if you ARE playing for money you can't afford to lose, then don't. IF it's a quarter here and there, what are you worrying about. pay the 25 cents and move on. A couple of years ago, I was "en Fuego" at a course we play occasionally, finished the 14th hole and my friend says, "Hey, you're one over...!" I nearly clocked him with a 3 wood. Didn't want to hear it with 2 of the 4 remaining holes being tricky but par-able with the right play, with 18 being an odd layout, but if the corner is cut just right, eagle is in easy reach. I knew I was playing well, but I just gave them the score to write down and moved on to the next hole. I wound up parring the 2 tricky holes and bogeying the easiest hole (which was 15- the next hole after his comment. Nearly clocked him again)and parring the other.

...A couple of years ago, I was "en Fuego" at a course we play occasionally, finished the 14th hole and my friend says, "Hey, you're one over...!" I nearly clocked him with a 3 wood...

A few days ago, one of the guys in our foursome made the comment "I'm even on the back!" as we were standing on the 14th tee box.  He didn't par any of the remaining holes.  The Golf Gods are always watching and listening. :-$

Mac

WITB:

I just try and focus on the next shot. If i have a bad shot or hole i just say to myself "ok thats in the past, next shot is going to be good"

Also dont let your head slump after a bad shot. I was always told, whatever sport, to keep my head up after a bad shot or game as it helps keep you out of a hole mentally.

Dont get too far ahead of yourself either. thinking you need X amounts of shots, birdies, points puts too much pressure on yourself. Thats often going to lead to more bad shots

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Tough to say. To be honest with you, you are a 17 handicap. So you are going to see more ups and downs in a round than better golfers. You also are more likely to see the big blow up hole, double bogey or worse.  You might end up shooting a very good round once in a while, but most of the time the inconsistencies in your swing will cause you to have those blow up holes.

Basically its the ability to play golf. Control what you can, basically your emotions and how you react to your own game. Still a golfer needs to accept their own golf game for what it is. If you want to shoot better then improve your swing.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I used to have the same problem. Still do on really rough rounds. But for me personally, I remind myself it's a game, and if I'm not enjoying it, I shouldn't be playing that day. Also, as hard as it is to practice, figure out what you did wrong, and move on. Good luck buddy!

I think it's also important to mention, if you are a double-digit handicapper (like myself most days), don't come off that blow-up hole and decide to try something miraculous to make up for it. As soon as you decide to make some "hero" shot on the next hole, you are on your way to blowing up 2 in a row. This has been especially hard for me in the past couple months. I come off a short par 3 making double bogey, and decide I'm going to get tricky with my tee shot on the next one and try to hit a hook around the dogleg (which is almost impossible for me....I only hook it when I "miss", and that's a much more violent hook then what I'm looking for here) to make the par 5 short enough to birdie......then I hit a fade, end up in the trees on the long side of the fairway, and turn it into a par-6 length hole....

Move on from the bad hole and just try to play golf to your ability level.....it happened and you can't fix it, so let it go.

• Upvote 1

I think it's also important to mention, if you are a double-digit handicapper (like myself most days), don't come off that blow-up hole and decide to try something miraculous to make up for it. As soon as you decide to make some "hero" shot on the next hole, you are on your way to blowing up 2 in a row...

Good point.  Right now, my goal is to shoot bogey golf and take any pars/birdies as I can get them.  If I double/triple a hole, I just shrug it off (after the requisite few moments of being pissed off about it, of course).  If I had a par/birdie earlier in the round, I say I'm still at bogey golf, so no worries; if not, I just tell myself to stay in the game and I'll get those strokes back on another hole.  I know from experience that if I nut up and try to force the 'hero' shots, it's just going to make things worse, because I don't have the 'hero' shots in my bag - play smart, stay calm and just try to stop the bleeding.  Getting all jacked up and trying to force the issue is only going to make the score balloon worse - which will lead to more frustration, which will lead to more bad shots, which will lead to more frustration, which will lead to more bad shots, and so on.  Not good for the scorecard and not much fun either.

Mac

WITB:

For a start you realise that off 17, a double bogey is not going to ruin your round.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

For a start you realise that off 17, a double bogey is not going to ruin your round.

Exactly. I hate doubles, but even playing off 6ish, it's somewhat unusual if I don't have one in a round. Start with reasonable expectations for your handicap, and accept that you're going to have doubles, and the occasional triple. Make it a point of pride to always improve on the next hole when you do have a substandard hole.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Exactly. I hate doubles, but even playing off 6ish, it's somewhat unusual if I don't have one in a round.

Start with reasonable expectations for your handicap, and accept that you're going to have doubles, and the occasional triple. Make it a point of pride to always improve on the next hole when you do have a substandard hole.

Pretty much. Especially when it doesn't involve a penalty. I can understand if I hit a ball OB then I pretty much have to do something substantial not to get a bogey. When you inside 100 yards to the green in three on a par 5. It should not take you 4 more strokes to get the ball in the hole.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Pretty much. Especially when it doesn't involve a penalty. I can understand if I hit a ball OB then I pretty much have to do something substantial not to get a bogey. When you inside 100 yards to the green in three on a par 5. It should not take you 4 more strokes to get the ball in the hole.

And yet, you and I can do it with disturbing regularity.... :~(. Not so much on a par-5 necessarily, but a double can certainly rear it's ugly head on a longish par-4. Especially when trying too hard to recover from some sort of poor/mediocre tee shot. I try hard not to follow a poor shot with a stupid shot, but sadly, I'm not always successful. That's exactly @Shorty 's point. It happens. It will happen a LOT to a 17 hcp. He can't let that derail him when it does.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

That was the story of my round last night. It happens. You just move on. I tripled the first hole after a tee shot in the water and a crappy pitch. I came back and par'd the next hole. I could blame it on the wind and crappy course conditions, but really, I just wasn't on my game last night. This is why the only the best 10 of your last 20 rounds factor into handicap. It's about what you do over the long run that matters.

Edit: I was near the green in 2 on a par 5 last night and put my next shot into the bunker and ended up with bogey.

- Shane

I've been playing for about 22 years.  For the first 10-15 years of playing, this used to happen to me quite regularly.  In retrospect, I am very embarrassed of how I acted.  I threw clubs, yelled etc. and just made life Hell, not only for myself, but my playing partners.  Not sure if age has mellowed me out, I doubt it.  I'm probably still one of the most self-negative golfers out there.  I think that, for me, the difference is now when I have a bad hole I mutter to myself what a stupid f'ing B***h I am, as well as any other name I can think of and then let it go.  I have to get it out somehow before I can move on.  If I follow a double with a bogey, I tell myself that at least I'm making progress.

I played a couple of days ago and shot a 47 on the front with no OB's or lost balls.  Just all out terrible playing.  If I hadn't 1 putted 4 holes, it would have been 51.  The old me would have lost it, But at that point, I just wanted to make some good swings.  Shot a 38 on the back with 6 pars and a birdie.  I don't think that would have even been possible with my mindset from 10 years ago.

Anyway, IMO I think it's ok to get mad at yourself for screwing up. . .But once it's done, move on.

Note: This thread is 3262 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!