IGNORED

Passive golf swing?

SubPar
Note: This thread is 4476 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This looks so simple yet I have a hard time taking "the hit" out of my swing. You've heard commentators during tournament coverage mention the importance of tempo or possibly how David Toms putts and swings like there is "no ball there". It is human nature to see the ball as the target and to try to ‘hit’ it, but in those rare moments when I can forget the ball and just let it get in the way during a complete swing I hit it so much better.

Here is a perfect example of a passive swing that goes right through the ball.

Any thoughts on his tips and/or technique? (he's not a fan of stack and tilt).

SubPar

http://www.rdbgolftips.com/

The head rotation thing, a la Annika, seems to be getting some attention. Trevor Immelman mentions it in this month's Golf Digest. Even Tiger mentioned a few issues back that he's been working on allowing his head to rotate forward through impact, although I haven't noticed if he's doing it.

This passive swing takes that to the extreme. Interesting.

Driver: R7 SuperQuad TP 9.5° Fujikura Rombax 6X07
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°

Orlimar3wood: Hip-Steel 15° (oldie but goodie)Irons: Ping i10 [4-GW] DG X-100Wedges: Ping Tour-W [54° & 58°] DG X-100Putter: i-Series Piper HBalls: B330-S or e5+

• Administrator
I watched the guy's intro video.

He doesn't hit his pitching wedge 150 or his 8-iron 180. Or his 3-wood 285. Driver 300+? Riiiiiiight.

I never understand why someone like him would bother to claim that he does. It just makes people doubt him right from the start. Why list yardages at all? Just say "3-wood" and leave it at that.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Pretty interesting...especially his head in the slo-mo swings. He's looking down the target line well before impact

I noticed the same thing, I even paused the clip when his club impacted teh ball. I thought I was seeing things. I do like his tempo, very smooth swing.

907D2 10.5*
F60 15*
Rapture 18, 21 hybrids
S58 5-PW
Tour 52, 56, 60 degree wedges Newport 2.5 TP Black Edge bag

I watched the guy's intro video.

But he does. I hit balls at the range where he teaches. Last week he hit my 8 iron 170 and the shaft is rubber compared to his clubs. We look at that fluid easy-going swing and think "no way", but I've seen up close and still find it hard to believe.

I think the point of listing yardages is to indicate that with a relaxed properly timed swing the ball actually goes that far. Part of the key is where the hands are at impact and how the club is unloading at exactly the right moment. I always doubt my eyes when I see Els on TV swing a wedge so smooth and easy and he hits it 150-165. And seeing it in person makes it even more amazing. I watch the pros warming up at Tiger's tourney out here in December and I see the same thing. SubPar
  • Upvote 1

• Administrator
But he does.

But that's beside the point. He's marketing himself through this site, and my initial reaction was "he's full of crap." I left the site without looking around at more because I didn't believe him.

It doesn't matter what's true or not. What matters is getting people to look around at his site. If the number of people who think "WOW! 180-yard 8-irons" outweigh the doubters, he should keep the numbers. But if the numbers go the other way, and the doubters outweigh the believers, it's silly to have the numbers. The safest bet here would always be "no yardages." People will leave if they think you're a scammer, but the corollary - people will leave if they aren't immediately impressed by your semi-unbelievable distances - isn't true. Tiger Woods drives the ball 302 yards on average. This guy looks nothing like Tiger Woods, and he claims 300+ yards. I obviously can't say for sure, but I think based on that, there are going to be a lot more doubters out there than "WOW" people, and that's bad for ol' Ron del Barrio.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
But that's beside the point.

Actually, my post(s) are beside the point. Sorry. Kind of went off-topic there.

Back to topic...

my swing for my irons is similiar, i just let gravity bring the clubhead down and i get good results but NO distance. maybe when i perfect gravity i can hit my 8 iron 180 yards.

In my wasabe green ozone bag:

Hibore 9.5° w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft Driver

G10 15° 1H w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft G10 18° 2H w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft T-Zoid Pro 3-PW S300 CG10 52° 2 Dot Black Pearl CG10 56° 2 Dot Black Pearl Newport 2 TerylliumLow Score = 88

The guy is smooth and makes some good points. One that comes to my mind is to let the club do the work which is what he does by remaining "passive." I would love to have his tempo and that is something that I am working on. I have shortened my backswing and allowing for a natural release which feels effortless when done correctly. It's getting it done correctly that is the hard part.

The best part of the website is his conversations with Jon Lovitz specifically when Jon asks him if his man-breasts are an asset to his swing.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

my swing for my irons is similiar, i just let gravity bring the clubhead down and i get good results but NO distance. maybe when i perfect gravity i can hit my 8 iron 180 yards.

I spent some time at the range last night working on the "no ball" concept and trying to incorporate Ron's points on head turn. I hit the ball straighter with a better trajectory when I get the timing right, but initially to get that motion in sync I am not taking a "full cut". The distance only comes when the core rotation and release are on 'full shot' tempo... AND I trap the ball perfectly. The thing about Ron is that he hits down on the back of the ball and his hands in perfect position the maximize the ball speed. Even if I get everything else right I still have issues with hitting the ball on a downward trajectory BEFORE I hit the ground.

It actually makes me angry at myself when I see him hit a couple of balls with my 5 wood that carry 50-60 yards further than me. The fence a the Weddington range is 185-200 out on an angle and I'm guessing 150 feet high. His 5-wood usually sails over the top still climbing. I am happy to hit the bottom of the fence but I am working on improving that performance. Here is a video by another pro on the same concept of relaxation and focusing on the swing rather than the ball. SubPar

But that's beside the point. He's marketing himself through this site, and my initial reaction was "he's full of crap." I left the site without looking around at more because I didn't believe him.

I see what you mean. I had the same reaction when he said he could have me hitting my 8-iron 165. But after watching him and adding little by little his technique, I am gaining performance.

Yesterday I had what I've been hoping for... one swing where I felt a breakthrough so I could have an internal point of reference. I got the core and head rotation just right, trapped my P-wedge pretty close to perfect and hit it almost 20 yards beyond my norm. If I can hit my P-wedge 120-125 I have no problem believing Ron, or any +3 handicap, can hit his 130-150, but I'll suggest he lower his numbers so he will be more believable SubPar

• Administrator

My goodness... I fell asleep waiting for Ernie to hit the ball. That was almost as hard to watch as Sergio's pre-shot routine.

subpar: that jugvid is awesome. it looks hard but makes sense to me. im gonna try it out next time im at the range. i think my ball striking will suck at first.

In my wasabe green ozone bag:

Hibore 9.5° w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft Driver

G10 15° 1H w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft G10 18° 2H w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft T-Zoid Pro 3-PW S300 CG10 52° 2 Dot Black Pearl CG10 56° 2 Dot Black Pearl Newport 2 TerylliumLow Score = 88

Great information on the swinging relaxed and smoothly. I found Ron's head movement before impact interesting. What is the reason he has for the early lifting of the head. I think most players that would lift the head that early would completely miss the ball.

I see that he isn't a fan of Stack and Tilt but he also seems mis-informed on the S&T; swing. The Tilt he demonstates in his video isn't the Tilt talked about in the swing. Anyway, I digress.

The idea of hitting through the ball and not at it is a great concept and I would like to incorporate that feeling into my swing as well. It's similar to the less is more approach. Less effort = More distance. EFFICIENCY.

Swing = Stacked and On Plane when possible.
In My Bag:
Driver: Ping G5 9° Alidila NV 75g Stiff
3-Wood: Nike SQ 15° Diamana Stiff (Stock)
Irons: NIKE FORGED SPLIT CAVIY (S300)Wedges: Taylormade RAC Fe2O3 (Rust) 52°/56°/60°Putter: Titleist/Cameron Newport 1.5Ball: Looking for a new...

Great information on the swinging relaxed and smoothly. I found Ron's head movement before impact interesting. What is the reason he has for the early lifting of the head. I think most players that would lift the head that early would completely miss the ball..

He explains the head thing in one of the insructional tips

(here). It has to do with easily encouraging the rotation and forward movent of the body core, where the power comes from. I have been making some progress with this the last few days. My head still tends to get stuck at impact, but the more I get it to go on around with the clubhead, the better shots I hit. Beginning to think of the swing as a whole unit helps this along because when I am swinging "at the ball" all my forward momentum stops and I tense up at impact. Swinging freely through the impact area with no concern about the "hit" is giving me more clubhead speed and a better over-all shot. Moving my head through with the club is coming into the mix gradually. Obviously you don't have to use this technique. Tiger, Verplank and others are generating the body rotation while keeping the head stationary at or behind the ball. But more and more people, including Tiger, are starting to admire this technique. Letting the head go also takes a lot of pressure off your back. SubPar

Plus, he hit that 3-wood heavy If you watch it reall close you can see... hover your mouse over the back of the ball and the divot starts way before it!
Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

Note: This thread is 4476 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!