IGNORED

Chiropractor recommendation / 2nd opinion anyone?

march11934
Note: This thread is 3150 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all,

Posting this for some insight about a recommended treatment i just received by a chiropractor.

Story goes.... I was playing a small tourney among a bunch of friends and back went on the 2nd day of a four day session. Of course i played through to the end. Who wouldn't right??

By the end of the last by I was done... Not enough Aleve in the state... I threw in the towel and went for a visit with a Chiropractor. After 2 sessions the pain is gone but the issues are not.

Seems that I have some phase 2 degradation in my spine in 2 of the 4 zones and was given a recommendation of an aggressive treatment. This is why i don't like doctors... LOL

So the point of the post is, can anyone make a suggestion of what would be a reasonable series of treatments? The recommendation is 3 visits a week for 12 weeks for a grand total of 36 visits and about 2 and a half grand after my medical coverage compensates me.

Any thoughts? Sound reasonable? Over the top $ ?? Drop golf and go back to billiards??? :)

Thanks in advance.

I'm a bit skeptical of those chiropractor annuities that they set up by recommending the long and frequent visits.  My only reason though is that it seems like such a great business plan, I really don't have any medical expertise to back up my skepticism.

I've had mild sciatica issues for the last 25 years or so.  This is what I've done and I've had good results:

http://www.amazon.com/Healing-Yoga-Rodney-Yee/dp/B000YV1L0S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid;=1432684154&sr;=8-2&keywords;=healing+yoga

Who knows, maybe that quick back program included in that DVD will help you (I originally had it in VHS).  It's only about 10 minutes a day.  After a few weeks I always had positive results.  Now, I just do it everyday and the problem has pretty much gone away.

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Try an osteopath.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

No offense to anyone that is a chiropractor on this site but I've always viewed them as part snake oil salesperson and part masseuse.  My best friend visits his chiropractor religiously every week for an "adjustment" that his chiropractor claims is required to keep his back "healthy".  He claims when he goes in after only a week his one leg is up to 1/2" shorter than the other but by the end of the session both legs are back the same length.

I'm sure there are some good ones out there but everyone I know that goes to one, does so on a weekly, bi-monthly or monthly basis which sounds like a better deal for the chiropractor than it does his/her patients.

I've never been to one and have no plans to go to one, I'm guessing based on my buddies experiences that one of my legs is at least 6" shorter than the other (maybe that's why I walk in circles a lot).

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

• 2 months later...

When I started to go see a chiropractor he had me get x-rays done. From there I could see 2 places where my back was out of alignment. It wasn't terrible but after he realigned my back it felt a lot better. I had gone 2 days a week for a month, 1 day a week, the monthly. Now I go about once every 6 months.

The reason I was given for the initial burst of visits is that the muscles around my spine needed time to grow correctly again. That for how bad out of alignment I was that the muscles would end up pushing my spine back towards the same way it was. Now I stretch my back and lift weights to strengthen my back which bigger back muscle help keep the spine aligned.

If I were you I would start off with stretching your back every day for 10 minutes 2 times a day. See how that works. If there is still pain I would recommend doing seeing the chiro but not as long as what he recommended.

Another option to look at is something called the Alexander Technique (http://www.alexandertechnique.com/).  It's all about your posture and how you move your body.  I had chronic back pain for years.  (Once it got so bad, I couldn't walk.)  Never went to the chiropractor but did tons of physical therapy.  PT would help temporarily but then the pain would get bad again.  I finally tried Alexander Technique and the pain went away and I know what to do to keep it away and when it comes back (because it does sometimes, I won't lie about that) I know how to handle it.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

No offense to anyone that is a chiropractor on this site but I've always viewed them as part snake oil salesperson and part masseuse.  My best friend visits his chiropractor religiously every week for an "adjustment" that his chiropractor claims is required to keep his back "healthy".  He claims when he goes in after only a week his one leg is up to 1/2" shorter than the other but by the end of the session both legs are back the same length.

I'm sure there are some good ones out there but everyone I know that goes to one, does so on a weekly, bi-monthly or monthly basis which sounds like a better deal for the chiropractor than it does his/her patients.

I've never been to one and have no plans to go to one, I'm guessing based on my buddies experiences that one of my legs is at least 6" shorter than the other (maybe that's why I walk in circles a lot).

I had an issue with one leg appearing "shorter" than the other, coupled with some lower back pain.  It turned out to be pelvic misalignment from sitting on my wallet all the time.  Two sessions with a PT taught me everything I had to do to correct the alignment and prevent future issues :-D

I have been a practicing chiropractor since 1984. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

1. LPGA Square Two Melody driver 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4i hybrid 
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

If it were me in your shoes, with degradation in my spine, I would go to a orthopedic physician. They are the experts on joints, bones, nerves, and other parts of the body's structure. They can run tests that other medical folks can't.

My opinion is that a qualified c hiropractor is good for adjustments, and other minor stuff relating to the body's skeletal system, and it's associated structures. Of course I don't know what what type of health insurance you have, so perhaps a chiropractor is your best choice. Just find a good one.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

If it were me, I'd go to a real doctor.   Chiropractic treatment is 100% quackery, isn't it?

Nope

4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW

• 5 weeks later...

Try a second DR, I did TODAY................turns out after a x-ray me back was fine,

Hips were misaligned causing alot of lumbar pain.

A church member I attend is a chiropractor he said stop in and let me look at you.

Quick hip adjustment and 3 hours later i played golf ............shot a 82 by the way!!!!

Try a second DR, I did TODAY................turns out after a x-ray me back was fine, Hips were misaligned causing alot of lumbar pain. A church member I attend is a chiropractor he said stop in and let me look at you. Quick hip adjustment and 3 hours later i played golf ............shot a 82 by the way!!!!

Whoop, there it is!! Glad you had a successful experience :beer: happens every day all over the world. Good stuff. Congrats on the 82.

4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW

I have been to see a chiropractor many time over the years and really did not see any benefit that a good massage therapist could not help. But I do not

discount the entire profession I believe it is based on sound science. But, and @Sante TwoGloves please give me your opinion on this.

I believe there are two kinds of chiropractor.

1. Examines you and finds out what is wrong. Recommends 1-3 appointments to correct/improve your issues.Then says come back again if you need more help.

2. Examines you and finds out what is wrong. Recommends 4-5 appointments per week till you get tired of it or your insurance runs out.

I have experienced both. Stay away from type 2.

Doug

It depends on the condition and the treatment goals.is pain relief the only goal then something like the recommendations made in example one might seem more to your liking. If you are more concerned about your spinal health long term as you should be more care will obviously be recommended. Doctors who specialize in corrective care for example might recomend treatment for a year or longer. That's not me. I'm more in the middle, pain relief with some corrective and preventive recommendations made depe ding on several factors the least of which for me is insurance coverage. Most people when they go to a chiro want to seen as little as possible and pay as little as possible, get feeling better and getting back to their lives. Some need more than that and I tell them so but I don't try to pigeon hole every patient I see into the same high cost long term treatment plan. That's horseshit.that leads to over utilization of care and unfortunately you see that in chiropractic just like in all healthcare professions
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW

Thanks for all the input.

I did go to see a chiropractor. I had a difficult time finding an ortho that was in my area.

Took a bunch of x-rays and then gave me a regiment that would cost me an additional 3000.00 on top of what my health insurance covered. Another fine example of health insurance and the care it affords. I decided not to bother and stopped playing for a few months. Back is fine now. Get a twinge from time to time but overall works good again.

I guess time heals all wounds.

Regards.

Note: This thread is 3150 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!