IGNORED

How to "Flight" Your Wedges and Short Irons

mvmac
Note: This thread is 1303 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Evolvr student hitting a flighted shot to gimme range.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I still don't get that kind of backspin, even when I feel the club strike "ball first." But feel isn't real so maybe I'm hitting ground first.

• Administrator
I still don't get that kind of backspin, even when I feel the club strike "ball first." But feel isn't real so maybe I'm hitting ground first.

Depends on a lot of things, too:

• clubhead speed
  • solidness of strike
  • groove cleanliness/sharpness
  • ball cover type
  • temperature
  • conditions of greens
  • etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Depends on a lot of things, too: [LIST] [*] clubhead speed [*] solidness of strike [*] groove cleanliness/sharpness [*] ball cover type [*] temperature [*] conditions of greens [*] etc. [/LIST]

Conditions of greens actually might have a lot to do with it now that I think about it. Whenever I have noticed some back spin it has been on certain types of greens (usually the bigger name courses).

It's pretty clear to me from the action of that ball that there is a "backstop" there. It's not excessive spin, just a sloped green.

I hit two greens from afar yesterday with this shot; in both cases, I was about 75 yards from the pin. I hit a flighted gap wedge to pin high. Both pins were to the side of the green, and I was at an odd angle, so they weren't in tight, but both were putts with a chance to make and a tap-in afterward. No complaints. I think this was my first time hitting a green with a flighted shot, although not my first attempt. Good day overall. Thanks again for the help Mike.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• 5 months later...
11 minutes ago, Crazycanuck44 said:

Well with 21/2 months to go are there any indoor drills I can do for this?

Heck yeah. You can work on "positioning" in a mirror, making 1/2 speed swings inside and even work up to full speed swings (video) if you have the carpet or a matt for it.

Mike McLoughlin

57 minutes ago, Howling Coyote said:

mvmac

What do you mean "flight" your wedges? When I hight my sand wedge or pitching wedge, I get a lot of height.  The sw probably flies up about 150 feet up while traveling about 70-75 yards.

Check out the first post. 150 feet is way too high even for a wedge. You want more near 90-100 feet high. Flighting just means a lower more boring trajectory. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

27 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Check out the first post. 150 feet is way too high even for a wedge. You want more near 90-100 feet high. Flighting just means a lower more boring trajectory. 

Saeve125

Without height, won't the ball skip off the green?

1 minute ago, Howling Coyote said:

Saeve125

PGA Tour players average 30 yards in peak height (90 feet). They have no issue stopping the ball on the greens. Also partial wedge shots and pitch shots can stop as well. So I see no reason why flighting a wedge would not stop. I think you are overestimating the importance of height or how high you need to hit the ball. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

13 minutes ago, Howling Coyote said:

It will still have some height, just not as much as a regular full swing wedge.  This means that you'll have more control in the wind and more control over the amount of spin.  Both of those lead to better control of overall distance.

7 hours ago, Howling Coyote said:

mvmac

What do you mean "flight" your wedges? When I hight my sand wedge or pitching wedge, I get a lot of height.  The sw probably flies up about 150 feet up while traveling about 70-75 yards.

Like @saevel25 and @Golfingdad said, it's a technique for lowering the ball flight of wedges/short irons for better distance (possibly better contact) and spin control.

Mike McLoughlin

Long-arc flighted short irons.... ? @connorspeterson

A video posted by Jeff Smith (@radargolfpro) on

Mike McLoughlin

I am playing golf again after laying off several years after an accident.  I can still strike the ball fine, but touch within 30 yards is the toughest part of my game. After reading Dave Pelz I am working on getting calibrated with different wedges. The 9:30 swing with "dead hands" is by far the hardest to execute. Any pointers for the touchy, reproducible swing with a wedge on short shots?

Note: This thread is 1303 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!