IGNORED

How to "Flight" Your Wedges and Short Irons

mvmac
Note: This thread is 1306 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm making a point of doing this from now on with every club shorter than a 5 iron. I'm realizing after my first tournament this past week that ego is a problem for me. I feel like I need to pull out my home run swing on every shot and it ruins me as the round progresses. Who cares if my opponent is hitting 7 iron to a 165 pin and I pull out a 6 iron? Monday morning I hit the range after the Sunday debacle and spent a lot of time hitting slow half-swings and thought to myself "Why not play this way?" When my consistency and stability (and fitness) get better, I'll maybe worry about adding distance.

My new slogan - Proud to be a Wimp!

• Like 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've been trying to work this into my normal play, and I've found my miss is a pull. Any idea why?

I like the recommendation of the video. I saw this earlier and also pull slightly and have been working on it. So, during play Monday and today's best ball I worked on remembering my alignment where my front shoulder is even or slightly closed to the target (pin) on short irons. The results have been much better. Got a picture or two from playing mates but think I'll do a video.

It depends. Normal upright or flat swinger?

I think full swing is OT so will say I was specifically referring to the 'regular wedge' vs. 'flighted' in the Mike's demo video. It looks like the shorter b/s and low follow-through along with the head shift toward the target is resulting in a comparatively flatter (L shoulder and R shoulder closer to each other on horizontal level) shoulder turn.

Kevin

I think full swing is OT so will say I was specifically referring to the 'regular wedge' vs. 'flighted' in the Mike's demo video. It looks like the shorter b/s and low follow-through along with the head shift toward the target is resulting in a comparatively flatter (L shoulder and R shoulder closer to each other on horizontal level) shoulder turn.

Sorry, I was confused then. Wedges and irons title. And your reference to "both swings". I'll reread thread.

Very interesting. I have a mustered up a partial feel with the PW to get anything less than 100 yards, and have been somewhat successful. Never dawned on me to tame a 6i, instead of bruising a short iron for 150.

I guess when I watch Sergio using an 6i from 230 it just made me feel tiny.

Ok I'm old school, it takes me a while to accept a new wave but yes today I pulled one iron stronger, choked up and swung within a 3/4 swing wowwww - I was hole high on most greens. On a Par 5 my third shot was within one revolution of dropping in the cup - I'll never go back to my old ways.

Jonathan Byrd did a few of these today, and I just watched a few of his swings. It's something I have to practice more I really like it much more control IMO.

My favorite shots in golf are low spinning wedge shots.  I do the same thing on 95% of my chip shots just on a much smaller scale.  In windy conditions, applying the same shot through your middle irons is very effective too.  It's a great shot to have in your bag.

The most difficult distance in golf is the six inches between your ears.

Read this thread recently and have tried this the last few rounds with incredible success.  Shot even par at mens-league last week and I'm usually in the low 40's... everything was working that night though!

One other positive... and this is pure vanity... it that when I hit these shots I take the most awesome divot ever!!!  Its a huge pelt of turf, right in front of the ball, that goes flying 20 yards... just like the guys on TV on Sunday afternoon.  Of course, the lower scores are the big thing but it does feel/look cool to take that pro-style divot that I never took before.

Titleist 915 D, 3W, 3H

TaylorMade RocketBladez 4I-AW

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 56 degree SW and 60 degree LW

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Dual Balance

Bridgestone B330

I've started playing this shot and having success with this it recently as well!

Maybe I'm still taking too long of a backswing, but it feels at least like I'm stopping around A3, and I'm definitely holding off the finish, and I've never lost more than 10 yards with this shot, usually more like 5+, and sometimes nothing at all versus my stock full swing.  Not totally sure what the deal is there.  But I've just been playing it for 1/2 - 1 club down and it's been working great.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Another fun part is when guys see your low wedge coming in hot and they think it's going to bounce off the green and then it checks up suddenly by the hole.  You here a "ooohhhh, AHHHHHH!"

The most difficult distance in golf is the six inches between your ears.

Another fun part is when guys see your low wedge coming in hot and they think it's going to bounce off the green and then it checks up suddenly by the hole.  You here a "ooohhhh, AHHHHHH!"

Ha ha that's so funny. I hit one of these in front of my buddy. In mid air he goes that better check and I said oh it will. He called me a dick when it stopped after one bounce 15 ft from the flag ha ha.

Still working on it I can't get it to check though... Not trapping it nuff I guess.. I'll get there one day.. :loco:

And yes I do use a spin ball Titleist PRO V 1X..

Still working on it I can't get it to check though... Not trapping it nuff I guess.. I'll get there one day.. :loco:   And yes I do use a spin ball [COLOR=555555]Titleist[/COLOR] PRO V 1X..

Maybe you need more speed from the top of your backswing to impact.

Well at 59 yrs old I'm just trying to get myself in better position as much as  can. I have hit some good ones though they just don't check, I'm not a long ball hitter by no means and I've come to accept I never will be. But this site has given me hope not to hit the ball further just BETTER.. hehe :beer:

Still working on it I can't get it to check though... Not trapping it nuff I guess.. I'll get there one day..

And yes I do use a spin ball Titleist PRO V 1X..

Make sure you're doing the followthrough piece right. "Brake" the finish with speed, straight arms, wrists feeling uncocked.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Make sure you're doing the followthrough piece right. "Brake" the finish with speed, straight arms, wrists feeling uncocked.

So you are throwing the wrist 'upcock' from b/s, but not pronating R over L, yes? How much lead wrist bow do you feel relative to the regular swing? Do you feel more left sided / steeper on the ball like hitting out of rough vs. regular swing?

Kevin

Note: This thread is 1306 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!