IGNORED

Bryson Dechambeau Plays Same-Length Irons

cipher
Note: This thread is 2927 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think I recall Bryson started out with 1-Iron clubs. Making Edel irons into one length seems like a step up since I've heard a lot of positives about Edel equipment. The Edel irons certainly aren't anything to look at though.

Yes, they do not distract the golfer ... no bling, some tech you can't see, and the grind on the sole helps you get through the turf.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The Edel irons certainly aren't anything to look at though.

Funny - I think they are one of the nicest-looking sets of cavity back irons you can buy.  To each their own, I suppose!

- John

Funny - I think they are one of the nicest-looking sets of cavity back irons you can buy.  To each their own, I suppose!

I like them as well. Not flashy, just a solid club with a great sole design.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Very interesting if he played the 1 Irons. I noticed earlier this summer that David Lake added a new "Pro-line" of clubs, same idea and look but presumably for more accurate and thus less forgiving play. I'm happy to see he must also be collecting on the DeChambeau publicity.

Pitch face on: [video]https://youtu.be/mnN5JqcRVZM[/video]

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Pitch face on: [video]https://youtu.be/mnN5JqcRVZM[/video]

Seems to go against pretty much everything I have learned on this site about pitching.. No cock of the wrist (absolutely beautiful?). Why? I'm assuming this is one of the quirky things he does and is able to do well, and will probably not change if he keeps winning, but would you teach a young kid to pitch that way? Is there a benefit in doing so?

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Seems to go against pretty much everything I have learned on this site about pitching.. No cock of the wrist (absolutely beautiful?). Why?

I'm assuming this is one of the quirky things he does and is able to do well, and will probably not change if he keeps winning, but would you teach a young kid to pitch that way? Is there a benefit in doing so?

More of a Steve Striker style (extreme Stricker), like you said, very little wrist hinge. Palmy grip and the handle very high at address produces that. Important to note that the AoA is still shallow.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

More of a Steve Striker style (extreme Stricker), like you said, very little wrist hinge. Palmy grip and the handle very high at address produces that. Important to note that the AoA is still shallow.

He's a bit strange that he carries that same motion into his pitching.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Too bad there's no US Am thread, but this is sort of related, while there's lots of talk about cookie cutter swings with video and Trackman, I didn't see that in the weekend broadcast of the US Am. Individuality is still out there.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Too bad there's no US Am thread, but this is sort of related, while there's lots of talk about cookie cutter swings with video and Trackman, I didn't see that in the weekend broadcast of the US Am. Individuality is still out there.

That's interesting that many AMs would have vastly different swings from the Touring Pros.    I wonder if they could get to the next level (professional golfer) with a few swing adjustments...

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

My original comment was about Bryson's clubs. They aren't anything to look at. Looked rusted. I don't doubt Edel irons aren't fantastic and I like a clean look on a club, but those wings remind me of Redwing shoes. :-)

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

• 2 weeks later...

He won the NCAA Div I individual title and the US amateur (the 5th guy in history to do that), so I'd say it works pretty well for him...you guys can talk crap all ya want about how it doesn't work, but I can tell you it does work for a significant number of golfers, including myself.

the lofts do not have to be changed.....I'm hitting my irons jsut as far and more solidly than i did before i made them all the same length.......btw,  i like my jumbo max grips too, but that's ok, you guys keep playing those $1k irons...to each his own....just don't be hatin :-)

This kid is a physics major and has studied the golfing machine extensively.  He has formulated his swing based on his understanding of what will work best for him and his physical attributes.  Seems to me he has a pretty good team around him, al Jordan Speith.

Just love it when a "teachin pro" starts spouting proclamations;   they've been teaching the same stuff for the last 25 years and the average golfer still can't break 100, so what does that say about their teaching methods.   IMO, about the same as the results of our Federatlized education system-not too good.....

• Administrator

@rdubya59 , if you quote posts, people will have a clue to whom you're responding.

Like this:

the lofts do not have to be changed…

They typically do, or you'll hit the long irons too low and the short irons too high, which leads to poor gapping.

This kid is a physics major and has studied the golfing machine extensively.  He has formulated his swing based on his understanding of what will work best for him and his physical attributes.  Seems to me he has a pretty good team around him, al Jordan Speith.

No argument there. Good for him.

Just love it when a "teachin pro" starts spouting proclamations;   they've been teaching the same stuff for the last 25 years and the average golfer still can't break 100, so what does that say about their teaching methods.   IMO, about the same as the results of our Federatlized education system-not too good.....

Not sure who you're talking about here, but I haven't taught the "same stuff for the last 25 years" and the average golfer doesn't take lessons. So… Let's cool the instructor bashing, mmmkay?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

the lofts do not have to be changed.....I'm hitting my irons jsut as far and more solidly than i did before i made them all the same length.......btw,  i like my jumbo max grips too, but that's ok, you guys keep playing those $1k irons...to each his own....just don't be hatin :-)

rdubya59,

Thanks for your comments on the Jumbomax Grips which are an integral component of his equipment and swing. So many golfers are afraid to try something "outside the box". We've all been taught that in order to release the club, it needs to be held in the fingers. There are many differing opinions on the subject, but we have found that when the club is held in the fingers, the face angle at impact becomes much more timing sensitive. That's why you see some pros winning for a time, then they disappear from sight. When they're on, they're on, but when their timing is off, they are spraying the ball all over.

When the grip is held more in the palms, as with our oversized grips, the face is square for a much longer time. It's simple physics. Think of driving a go-cart with a very small steering wheel. A small movement in the wheel causes a big movement in the vehicle, whereas a school bus or truck steering wheel is larger and you have to turn it more to affect the vehicle. If you watch videos of Moe, he said that golfers struggle because they are trying to rotate the club at impact and time it. He always took the club back square and simply hinged his wrists at the top, then delivered the club back along the same path without any manipulation of the wrists. That's why he hit the ball so straight.

I'm glad you were open minded and gave our grips a try. I hope with the recent NCAA win and the U.S. Amateur win as proof, more people will be receptive to the idea of larger swing grips (we are the only company making them that large, by the way). We coined the term Finger-palm™ grip to describe our methodology.

As a final note, there are other amateurs coming up in the ranks playing JumboMax and having impressive results. The 2015 California State Fair Amateur Champion just won using our large size grip!

Regards,

Dale Rehus

Vice President

JumboMax Golf Grips

Note: This thread is 2927 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!