IGNORED

My Swing (Triggers)

Triggers
Note: This thread is 2695 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Triggers said:

Oh nice! The videos got embedded lol, was that a mods doing or just happens with time? If a mod did it, could you let me know what I did wrong so I can correct the future? 

I did it.

Put the video URL on its own line and press return after. Sometimes I paste the URL in and hit return five times, and if three embed, cool. I delete all but one.

Kind of a PITA. I wish it worked more smoothly… at least as smoothly as smileys do. ;-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saw this thread for the first time.  Definitely still room for improvement of course (don't we all have that!), but man, huge improvement from your first post on the hip sway.  Was really bad in your first video, but looks great now, especially with the iron swing!

Noticed on your irons you're pulling up with your front (right) arm and bending that elbow into impact, though I won't pretend I'm a good enough coach to tell you what you need to work on first to fix that.

But I will say, on your driver swing you need to get your weight and pressure forward on the down swing!  Your lower body looks like a baseball swing, and even a baseball swing where there's not enough pressure on the front foot at impact.  By pressure I mean the effective weight pressing into the front foot, which is a different concept from what is (i believe?) called "weight" around here, which is the percent of your weight  that would be distributed between front and back foot if you were to stop at, say, your impact position and stand there statically.  Both weight and pressure should be forward in the golf swing, with more pressure forward than weight, at impact.

Weight should be more evenly distributed in a baseball swing but you still would want the large majority of your pressure forward at impact in a baseball swing, and it doesn't look like you even have that at impact in your current driver swing!

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

4 hours ago, iacas said:

I did it.

Put the video URL on its own line and press return after. Sometimes I paste the URL in and hit return five times, and if three embed, cool. I delete all but one.

Kind of a PITA. I wish it worked more smoothly… at least as smoothly as smileys do. ;-)

Lol, whatever works :) I'll give that a shot next time; thanks for stopping by to fix them.

4 hours ago, mdl said:

Just saw this thread for the first time.  Definitely still room for improvement of course (don't we all have that!), but man, huge improvement from your first post on the hip sway.  Was really bad in your first video, but looks great now, especially with the iron swing!

Noticed on your irons you're pulling up with your front (right) arm and bending that elbow into impact, though I won't pretend I'm a good enough coach to tell you what you need to work on first to fix that.

But I will say, on your driver swing you need to get your weight and pressure forward on the down swing!  Your lower body looks like a baseball swing, and even a baseball swing where there's not enough pressure on the front foot at impact.  By pressure I mean the effective weight pressing into the front foot, which is a different concept from what is (i believe?) called "weight" around here, which is the percent of your weight  that would be distributed between front and back foot if you were to stop at, say, your impact position and stand there statically.  Both weight and pressure should be forward in the golf swing, with more pressure forward than weight, at impact.

Weight should be more evenly distributed in a baseball swing but you still would want the large majority of your pressure forward at impact in a baseball swing, and it doesn't look like you even have that at impact in your current driver swing!

Thanks! I spent a pretty long time on "centered hip turn" which has drastically improved a lot of aspects of my game. 

I think I noticed the right arm at impact, but it seems like that may be some carry over from bending it during/around the top of my back swing. I can consciously try to keep it straight through the back swing, but takes effort at the moment.

As for the driver swing....I definitely 'feel' what you are describing, but I'm not really sure why it happens. Seems like I'm pivoting on my back foot instead of getting the weight forward and pivoting on my front foot. I don't exactly have the best 'weight forward' in general. That will probably be on one of major focuses next.

Broke 100 last weekend with a 99. Played the front 9 to a 44 but had a couple really bad holes on the back... 

Couldn't make a putt to save my life, I hit 4-5 GIR on the front and had 2-3 really good looks for birdie but didn't sink one. I don't think my putting was too far off just wasn't hitting them. I hit my driver pretty well, I've been compensating the slice by opening up my stance and closing the club face a bit at address and it makes it playable; I think I'm going to stick with that while I'm improving off the course. 

Should be hitting the range this week, been working on weight forward drills without the club. 

Edited by Triggers

• Administrator
10 hours ago, Triggers said:

Broke 100 last weekend with a 99. Played the front 9 to a 44 but had a couple really bad holes on the back... 

Congratulations!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 11/10/2015, 7:15:31, iacas said:

Congratulations!

I was at the range this week on work travel, so I had to use a loaner club. I've been working on starting my downswing with my lower body to shift the weight as I mentioned earlier. I expected to hit it a little further and crisper but I didn't expect a HUGE difference in my driver slice. I was starting to hit the driver really well,  hopefully I can translate that to my driver :p

No new video yet, but been working on weight forward drills. Overall feeling pretty good but still struggling with my driver. I'm not really sure why but it is very hard for me to get my the weight off my back foot ( as shown in the video ) with my driver swing, as well as getting my swing in to out. 

Tried my 3 wood off the tee a bit yesterday at the range, and felt pretty good. Seemed like I was hitting it about the same distance as my 'average' driver shots considering I lose a pretty good amount of distance due to the slice. Might try that out next round until I can get a handle on my driver. 

No new video yet, but been working on weight forward drills. Overall feeling pretty good but still struggling with my driver. I'm not really sure why but it is very hard for me to get my the weight off my back foot ( as shown in the video ) with my driver swing, as well as getting my swing in to out. 

Check your setup with the driver, make sure you have the ball forward enough, and that your stance isn't too wide.

On 11/18/2015, 9:32:44, chspeed said:

Check your setup with the driver, make sure you have the ball forward enough, and that your stance isn't too wide.

Yea, thinking about it I might be a little wide. Seems like it may be harder to transfer weight off my back foot if I'm too wide

Probably hit the range today

Edited by Triggers

I think chspeed was right, my stance was a little wide and a little off. Felt better with it at the range this week, but still not great.

Played today, shot a 96 which coulda/shoulda been closer to a 90. Two back to back blowup holes ( 8 on a par 4, 6 on a par 3 ) due to poor approach shots into TWO buried bunker shots... I'm not terrible in the bunker, but can't reliably get those deep ones out.

Still shying away from the driver for the most part, I think I hit it twice off the tee today. The course we played was really narrow, so sticking to my 3 and 4 iron felt way better anyways. 

Another round, another mid 90s ( 95 on a par 71 ) performance. Definitely need some short game work. Pulled out my driver about 4 times today, hit the fairway 3/4 and the one miss was on a par 5 that I ended up getting on the green in 3 anyways. 

Feel like things are starting to come together, but had a rough day putting and it was probably the windiest I've played in... definitely unexpected lol

Edited by Triggers

Went to the range to work on my driver yesterday. Been very consistent with my setup, but was still having issue. 

I started messing around with trying to hit massive hook, by really getting inside-out and really trying to turn my hands over. This had some interesting positive results, I was able to get a few draws/hooks ( usually some low hooks ) but I could feel a sweet spot / balance there that led to some very long straight drivers for me .. And swinging with that mentality almost all but eliminated my slice ( 2-3 out of 30 or so ended up slicing, but that may have been a lapse in my focus of what I was trying to do. )

Either way, not really to sure what to think of it. I've been planning another short lesson or two after christmas, so maybe I'll be able to work that out with a pro

Had a huge break thru in my driver swing. I was casually going through some videos and came across this

And I noticed I was definitely making an effort to take the club back very straight; I don't know why or where I picked it up but I thought that was desired.

Anyways, by taking the driver back a little inside, it makes a massive difference in being able to swing inside-out. After a couple range sessions and 2 rounds, I think I only sliced 2 or 3; and none of them were the huge huge miss that I'm used to seeing. 

A combination of the 'intentional hooks' I was working on earlier and this is great. I also feel like I'm able to get my weight forward easier, but that may just be confidence in being able to swing without fear of a huge slice

Had a huge break thru in my driver swing. I was casually going through some videos and came across this

And I noticed I was definitely making an effort to take the club back very straight; I don't know why or where I picked it up but I thought that was desired.

Anyways, by taking the driver back a little inside, it makes a massive difference in being able to swing inside-out. After a couple range sessions and 2 rounds, I think I only sliced 2 or 3; and none of them were the huge huge miss that I'm used to seeing. 

A combination of the 'intentional hooks' I was working on earlier and this is great. I also feel like I'm able to get my weight forward easier, but that may just be confidence in being able to swing without fear of a huge slice

Yes very cool....GP comes up with some good stuff.I think this straight down the line idea comes from weekend golfers getting too inside,so they compensate which always leads to too much the other way.The inside swing helps my turn and weight shift and I believe Mike Bennett of the S &  T gang recommends it for more power.

Edited by collapse

Note: I do not answer direct questions or points raised against my untested and unproven theories, have no history of teaching anyone, and post essentially the same nonsense in everyone's Member Swing threads.

2 hours ago, collapse said:

The inside swing helps my turn and weight shift and I believe Mike Bennett of the S &  T gang recommends it for more power.

I definitely feel this way, the inside swing path has added considerable distance to my drives. Though part of that distance is probably due to not losing a lot due to slice spin.

• 9 months later...
(edited)

Alright, I'm back!

Been playing in a few leagues over the summer, working on the house, and a kid on the way... Going to get back to focusing on improving my swing this fall/winter. I've taken a few more lessons spread out over the summer, but haven't really put in the time to really make consistent swing changes.

I've broke 90 twice over the summer though, so still improving. Mostly due to better chipping/putting.

Some new videos - 7iron FO/DTL and Driver FO/DTL. 

I had a driver fitting done and found that I was delofting the club a ton. Also really wasn't like my TM jetspeed, ended up getting a 915D2 with a heavier speeder shaft... Feels so much better.

Obervations from my videos - 

Driver - Looks like my swing has definitely gotten better since last video. Still dropping a bit on the back swing, and my back swing is pretty short 

Iron - Still dipping in my back swing a lot, biggest issue right now. 

Seems like I'm not casting as much anymore though.

Comments welcome! 

Edited by Triggers

I should add that my current miss and biggest struggle right now is a push border line push fade with my irons. 

I think I'm going in - to - out but my club face seems to be so far open. Over gripping / tension in forarms might be a cause, not allowing for the club to release through impact? Been working on this a bit lately.

(edited)

Noticed that at the range the other day, my back swing seemed very short. Almost like I'm starting my lower body too soon.

Could this be a factor in causing a push? I think in 1-2 of the videos above I was trying to stay slow and in control which resulted in a full swing.  And straight shot?

Edited by Triggers

Note: This thread is 2695 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!