IGNORED

Hole in one protocol

dbuck
Note: This thread is 3235 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Last week, I played in a charity shamble. It was a 4-man scramble format, but only two of our players showed up. I am basically a bogey golfer, and my partner was a little better, but hadn't played in a couple of years. We were allowed 2 shots each, and managed 1 bogey and 5 birdies for a 68. Our last hole was a par 3, with a new Toyota Corolla for a hole in one. It was around 178 to the stick and I hit a 4 iron. As it turned out, it wasn't that close but looked good enough in the air to kick the heart rate up a couple of beats. It hit a little mogul on the green, bounced once and checked. If it had rolled out, it would have been pretty close.

Before I hit my shot, my partner said, "Make it and we'll split it."  I just said, "I need that car", horsing around of course because I had no expectation of making it.

Is there any unwritten obligation to share such a prize with your playing partners?  My partner was a nice guy, and an acquaintance of my daughter, but that is the first time I had met or played with him.

Neither of us paid to enter the scramble, nor was there a donation on this hole in one. Now on a prior hole, there was a promotion by a different company where you donated $10 each to the charity and the hole sponsor (Dixon Golf) gave you a sleeve if you hit the green, and 2 round trip airline tickets for a hole in one. Also a birdie on the hole if all participated. I paid the $20 for both of us on that hole. I think we both won the prize if one of us made an ace.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The person who hit the shot, wins the prize, in my opinion.  The others in the group win a memorable story to tell at a future outings.

Bryan

:wishon:  919, Aldila Voodoo  :callaway: Razr X Tour 3h  :callaway: Razr Hawk 3w, Aldila NV  :callaway: Razr X Forged 4-PW, KBS Tour  :wishon:  52, 56, 60, KBS Tour
 :odyssey: White Ice 330, 33in  :aimpoint:    :true_linkswear:

Whoever makes the ace, gets the prize.   Anyone who tries to take any of it, is wrong.

—Adam

That's nuts. Only the one who makes hole-in-one gets the prize. I would told him to dream on.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

On one hand, barring another agreement, the person who hits the shot wins the prize. That having been said, if we're partnered in such an event, I'm happy to agree to both of us split the prize if either of us makes the ace. Keep in mind that I deliberately don't account for pins when I hit most of my approach shots before agreeing, though. Also, I'm not sure how the taxes would work if you split the car. Or would I only get it on Wednesdays?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Maybe your playing partner was a novice, maybe not...it does not work that way.  You make the hole-in-one, you win the prize...not the team.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

Whoever makes the ace, gets the prize.   Anyone who tries to take any of it, is wrong.

Here is a story about making a hole in one, when your employer pays the entry fee

http://www.autonews.com/article/20010903/SEO/109030703/one-golf-swing-scores-$1-million---or-does-it?

Players play, tough players win!

In a team event any prizes are always shared, in my experience.

That means the car is sold and the proceeds shared equally.

Doesn't seem to be the way things are done where you guys are, though. B-)

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

In a team event any prizes are always shared, in my experience.

That means the car is sold and the proceeds shared equally.

Doesn't seem to be the way things are done where you guys are, though.

I would generally agree, except, a hole-in-one is not achieved through team effort.  Unless your entire group hit their shots simultaneously. :blink:

Bryan

:wishon:  919, Aldila Voodoo  :callaway: Razr X Tour 3h  :callaway: Razr Hawk 3w, Aldila NV  :callaway: Razr X Forged 4-PW, KBS Tour  :wishon:  52, 56, 60, KBS Tour

Team prizes are for the team.

I could make an argument that in a scramble, the format lets me take chance I wouldn't normally....but that's a stretch.

BUT, having it be a prize like a CAR that only one person can take?  that's a really crappy thing for the tournament to do.  They could save a lot of angst by laying out the detail right on the promo poster for that prize.  What if it was a cash prize?  then it's not so clear.  It could really strain friendships.

I think it's a crappy idea to have prizes that can't be split in a scramble.  The tournament needed to put a Big sign that defines split or solo winner just to pre-emptively take the decision away from groups of friends.  "Free Car to the GOLFER that hits a Hole in One!!!"   "$1000 to the TEAM for a Hole in One!!!  (One prize per team max)"  etc etc

However, nothing trumps an agreement made amongst the players - so regardless of the 'default' I've stated above, if you agree to split the car, then you honor your promise.

"I need that car" is good enough.  But a bit weak.

I think there are two responses - joking or not:

1 - "sure, we'll split" or;

2 - "no way, winner takes all when it's a car on the line"

Quote:
I would generally agree, except, a hole-in-one is not achieved through team effort.  Unless your entire group hit their shots simultaneously

When I hit last or 3rd in a scramble, and someone has already hit a decent enough shot, the pressure is off and I'll take the risk side of a risk/reward shot just because it's no good anymore for me to play to a safe spot.....that's definitely a team dynamic.  So if it's a tight pin position, and someone is safely on already - then is the time go pin seeking....not necessarily if I was solo.

Bill - 

It's a hole in one prize, individual accomplishment prize. It's absurd to think there's an obligation to share whatever the prize is.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

I've never, in all the times I've been in a scramble, heard anyone mention splitting a prize for anything. Long drive, closest to the pin, longest putt, hole in one... Those all typically have a prize attached to them for the winner and everyone always accepts that the winner gets the prize without even a comment. Now I've never had a car be a prize but there have been sets of clubs, large flat screen tvs, cash, etc. I've no clue why anyone would think something like this would be split considering nobody on the team helped you.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Unless otherwise noted, I'd assume hole in one prize belongs to the golfer who made the shot.  Even on team event like basketball, there are individual award like MVP.   No one splits the trophy 6 ways.   If another golfer seriously insist on splitting the H-I-H prize, it's time for the old fashion way to settle it.   Contact a lawyer. :-P

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I won closest to the pin a couple years ago.

It's a bit silly, but I get to wear that free polo shirt on Mondays and Fridays.  The other take the three middle days.

we wash it on the weekends

• Upvote 1

Bill - 

My question: If you get a hole-in-one, do you have to buy everyone in the field a drink at the conclusion of the event? :hmm:

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

When I hit last or 3rd in a scramble, and someone has already hit a decent enough shot, the pressure is off and I'll take the risk side of a risk/reward shot just because it's no good anymore for me to play to a safe spot.....that's definitely a team dynamic.  So if it's a tight pin position, and someone is safely on already - then is the time go pin seeking....not necessarily if I was solo.

Let's be real... the prize is a car, you are pin seeking whether you hit first or last.  There is no way you are playing to the safe side of a green so your teammates can have a shot at winning a car while you watch.

Bryan

I was playing in an large better-ball event with a partner and there were also net and gross skin prizes. Now a skin is an individual accomplishment because I am playing my own ball into the hole. I hit a 140 yard shot into the hole for an eagle on a par 4 and garnered both a net and gross skin, and there weren't a lot of skins that day so it was worth a LOT of money. I shared it with my partner.

Bill M

Note: This thread is 3235 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!