IGNORED

Myrtle Beach courses, which one

Note: This thread is 3145 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

South Creek is one of the worst layouts in Myrtle Beach.  Pine Lakes used to be great until the renovation.  They screwed up two fun Par 5s and made them into difficult Par 4s.  The new three holes are boring.  It was good that they fixed the old finishing holes, which were flawed, but in trying to make it a "premium" course they took a lot of the charm out.  Unless you get a really good deal, skip Pine Lakes

As was previously said, both Myrtlewood courses are mid tier but solid.  I prefer Palmetto over Pine Hills.

My golfing buddy prefer Palmetto, too. Which one plays easier for a high handicapper? Palmetto is longer and have wider fairways, yet Pine Hills is shorter but tighter?

My golfing buddy prefer Palmetto, too. Which one plays easier for a high handicapper? Palmetto is longer and have wider fairways, yet Pine Hills is shorter but tighter?

The Pinehills course is the easier of the 2 layouts. It is tighter in some spots, but quite a bit easier. [I used to live on the 2nd hole of the Palmetto Course]

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I used to live on the 2nd hole of the Palmetto Course I lived right at the dogleg at the 150 yard mark. It was nice to be able to go out late in the evening and work on approach shots.

I used to live on the 2nd hole of the Palmetto Course

I lived right at the dogleg at the 150 yard mark. It was nice to be able to go out late in the evening and work on approach shots.

The Pinehills course is the easier of the 2 layouts. It is tighter in some spots, but quite a bit easier.

cool

Respectfully, I disagree completely. #13 is a par 3. #18 is a nice hole. #16 is a relatively easy par 5. It's actually quite open off the tee. I guess the course doesn't fit your game or something. Because those holes are neither tough nor unfair. Maybe we are talking about a different course.

I had the nines reversed.  The Par 4 I really hate is number 5.

"Witty golf quote."

I agree with MBG that Pine Hills is definitely the easier course.

"Witty golf quote."

I used to live on the 2nd hole of the Palmetto Course

I lived right at the dogleg at the 150 yard mark. It was nice to be able to go out late in the evening and work on approach shots.

That hole is much better when the tees are up.  Then you have the option of challenging the dogleg and OB right.  They've had them back quite a bit the last couple of years, which then forces you to drive it straight out, sometimes leaving you a decently long shot to a difficult green to hold.  Pretty much any pin position that isn't front right is difficult on that hole, even with a 60 degree wedge in your hand.  I remember birdieing it a couple times and the pin was always front right.

I know somebody who lives next to No. 4 tee, and my parents are members there.

"Witty golf quote."

I had the nines reversed.  The Par 4 I really hate is number 5.

Ahhh. Yeah, that hole. It's too short to hit driver. You have to hit a straight 3 wood or hybrid down the right and have a short shot over water to a sloped green. I kinda like that hole. Like I said, its target golf. It requires strategy and rewards accuracy over length. The 7th hole is the real annoying one on that side.

The 7th hole is the real annoying one on that side.

That's what I mistakenly labeled the 16th in my previous post.  Hate that hole.

"Witty golf quote."

Thanks, MBG. You've been very helpful. Appreciate it.

Any update? Have you had a chance to play any golf in MB yet? Which course and how was it?

If you are looking for a family outing type course, try the Pinehills Course at Myrtlewood. That's your best bet.

Pine Lakes, and both Myrtlewood courses are certainly mid tier and are location convenient. Arrowhead and Myrtle Beach National are also very close to the center of the city and offer decent layouts.

Legends golf complex is just out on 501 about 10 minutes from Myrtlewood and offers three 18 hole layouts. All quite nice.

The further away from the city of MB you go, the better the courses get.

MBG,

I played Myrtlewood Palmetto as Pinehills had a tournament on it yesterday. It was great. The fairways were perfect - every inch of it. The greens were aerated two weeks ago and they were decent. Tee boxes were good. I played the golds, at 6,000 - it was plenty of course for me. The holes were straightforward and a nice traditional layout. The highlight was 18 along the intercoastal, it was kind of cool to see the boaters and jet skiers cruise along as you play. One gotcha was they quoted the PM rate as 36+ tax. So, I am thinking it would be about 39 and it was

41. Do they have an extra luxury tax in MB? Also, I was there two years ago in N. MB and it seems like the PM rate for courses were 29. I can't complain. We were paying the same green fees 15 years ago.

Thanks, again. Myrtlewood was a great suggestion.

Sandhills

Very nice. Glad you enjoyed the course. Yeah, the 18th on Palmetto is a nice hole. Great views of the waterway and the fairway from the elevated tee box. There isn't a luxury tax of any sort, and sales tax should be 8-9% depending on if you're in city limits. Some courses sneak in some sort of BS fee of some sort. I played Thistle GC a couple weeks ago and noticed a $2.50 gratuity charge which seemed like complete bullshit. But in the grand scheme of things, 18 holes with a cart in a resort town for $40 isn't bad at all.

Very nice. Glad you enjoyed the course. Yeah, the 18th on Palmetto is a nice hole. Great views of the waterway and the fairway from the elevated tee box.

There isn't a luxury tax of any sort, and sales tax should be 8-9% depending on if you're in city limits. Some courses sneak in some sort of BS fee of some sort. I played Thistle GC a couple weeks ago and noticed a $2.50 gratuity charge which seemed like complete bullshit.

But in the grand scheme of things, 18 holes with a cart in a resort town for $40 isn't bad at all.

Thanks, again. Yes, there had to be a BS fee in there. But, $40 was great considering the course conditions and location.

The tee shot on Palmetto 18 is about as easy as you can find.  Just enormous amounts of room.  But the approach is difficult.  The bunkers hug the green and it always seems to play a bit longer than you expect.  Nice hole.

"Witty golf quote."

The tee shot on Palmetto 18 is about as easy as you can find.  Just enormous amounts of room.  But the approach is difficult.  The bunkers hug the green and it always seems to play a bit longer than you expect.  Nice hole.

True, a generous fairway. But, tough to get home in two.

I also remember No. 5! Hit a 4H down the middle, knocked a 9i about 15 yards past the flag, and 3-putted for a bogey.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

• 1 month later...
Might want to head a bit south to pawleys island some of my favorites are there. Pawleys plantation is probably my fave.. Nicholas designed if im not mistaken

It's a Nicklaus design, yes. Great course too. There are a bunch of very nice courses in Pawleys. Along with Pawleys Plantation, Willbrook, Caledonia, Heritage and Tradition are all worth looking at.

Note: This thread is 3145 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!