IGNORED

PING Enthusiasts - Best Iron PING Ever Made?

Note: This thread is 1218 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The copper one's??

what's a porter cable? What is ssr?

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

I sure am glad I got my hand-me-down set of Eye2's now that I'm hearing all this. I've only hit them once at the range since I got them Monday. Can't wait to see what they do on the course!

Be sure to go in for a fitting anyway then have them adjusted if necessary. Before you get fitted you can go to the pinggolf.com website and do the static fitting. This will let you know whether you're in the right ballpark.

You won't get the full benefit if the clubs are not sized to you.

Driver: R7 SuperQuad TP 9.5° Fujikura Rombax 6X07
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°

Orlimar3wood: Hip-Steel 15° (oldie but goodie)Irons: Ping i10 [4-GW] DG X-100Wedges: Ping Tour-W [54° & 58°] DG X-100Putter: i-Series Piper HBalls: B330-S or e5+

The eye 2's were Karsten's masterpiece.

Bag #1
DRIVER: TourSwing TVC 10.5*w/VooDoo
FW: Geek 15* w/Graman Limey
FW: TourSwing Thunder 19* w/Graman Limey
HYBRIDS: #4 #5 Alpha RX Low w/Graman LimeyIRONS: Nakashima NP-2 w/Accra i SeriesWEDGES: Same as abovePUTTER: Slighter Olympia #1

I have the eye 2 and for me they are the best club ping have ever made. I love them and I will keep them after I buy my new set of blade.

What is in my Ping bag:
Driver: R7 425 9.5*Fujikura Vistapro 70 stff
3Wood: An old 15* Graphite Stiff.
5Wood: R7 ST 18* Mid point RE-AX 70 Stff
7Wood: Tight lies 21* Graphite StffIrons: An old set of EYE2+ 4-PW Steel StiffWedge: vokey SM 54*10 and 60*08Putter: Studio Style Newport 1.5Balls...

My eye2+ are my first set and I love them. They're so balanced.

I'm going to treat myself to a new set, probably from the i or g series, but I'll be keeping these and having them adjusted as my back up set.
In my bag

Superstrong 12*
- Firepower Hyper Ti 15*
- Launcher 18* Hybrid - 21* Hybrid - S2 Max 5i - SW - MP T-Series 47* - 60* LW - White Hot XG #1

Has anyone tried/owned the S58's. There is a demo day at my home club soon and I was wondering if anyone thought I should try them out, as I bought a G5 today and it was AMAZING!
Driver Titleist 905R 9.5* (Stiff Prolaunch Blue 65g)
Hybrid: PT 585.H 17 * (Stiff titleist 75g shaft)
Irons: 695.cb 3-9 ( Dynamic Gold S300)
Wedges: 735.CM 47* PW, Vokey 200 series 50.08 Oil Can Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 Tour chrome, Vokey Spin Milled 58.08 Oil canPutter: Wilson Staff Kirk Kurrie #1[CO.....

According to ping's website, the black dot is what I need (and have), but they have the senior shafts and the website says I need the stiff ones...reshafting is not in the budget, lol. Every other set of irons I've had I cant hit the 3 or 4, but this one for some reason, I can hit them pretty well.
I'm only at 13 clubs in the bag, what do you reccomend as a 14th? My foot wedge?

In the bag:
Driver - HiBore XL 10.5* Reg. Flex Fit- on Fuji GoldWoods - Tightlies GT2: 3 wood 15* & 5 wood 19* Surpass 7 wood 24*Irons - Eye 2 4-PW & a cheesey 1 iron blade I use for punch...

• 2 weeks later...
Browsing the threads and thought I'd give the Eye2s another mention. They were my first set of (non-junior) irons, and they still just feel right to me.

Driver: FT-3 Tour 10.5, Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 75-S
FW: Insight XTD Pro FP400F 14.5, Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ FW Stiff
Hybrids: G10 18 / 21, AWT Stiff
Irons: Steelhead X-14 PS 4-A, DG S300
Wedge: Vokey SM58.12Putter: 35" Studio Design 1.5Ball: B330, Z Star X or AD333, or D2 Feel...

The first set of irons I ever owned were the Ping Zing 2's.....Bought for me by my folks as a high school graduation present.

I hacked up courses all over the southeast with those things, and they still look brand new.

I guess I missed the Eye 2s......They're obviously the overwhelming choice of Pings here. What made them so special?

In My Bag

Driver: 907 D1 10.5 Regular flex
3 Wood: R7 Steel
Hybrid: Rescue Dual 19Hybrid: Rescue Dual 225-GW: G5Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 54Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 58Putter: White Hot 2-ballBall: Mojo

I have owned most Ping irons from Eye 2's up to G10's and IMO the G10' are Ping's best irons. The Eye 2 + wedges may be better as I am still working with the G10's, but I believe the G10's wedges will require some grinding to compete with the Eye 2 + wedges.

I finished it off with a coat of sealer, Menzerna FMJ Paint Sealant ..."

I hope none of those went on the club faces....otherwise it's USGA violation.

Bag #1
DRIVER: TourSwing TVC 10.5*w/VooDoo
FW: Geek 15* w/Graman Limey
FW: TourSwing Thunder 19* w/Graman Limey
HYBRIDS: #4 #5 Alpha RX Low w/Graman LimeyIRONS: Nakashima NP-2 w/Accra i SeriesWEDGES: Same as abovePUTTER: Slighter Olympia #1

• 2 weeks later...
if i bought and old set of eye2's does anyone know where i can find out what to use to recondition them myself?

The copper one's??

I have v-groove Eye 2s (1983, original zz-lite stiff shafts) that were bought used but in very good shape. Do your own research on stainless steel, and then choose which products you want to use and which to avoid. Every once in a while (rarely!) to clean them, I use new steel wool and that waxy club cleaner as a first step, but you have to be careful and not leave any remnants of the steel wool on the clubs. After every round I just use plain water, however if they need better cleaning I use orange clean or simple green but immediately follow with dw soap and water and rinse thoroughly. Then I hit them with wd40 and wipe that off thoroughly. It may be illegal to leave wd40 on, but I think pretty sure its OK to use if I wipe it off. I did this all when I first got them, but like I said they were in good shape to begin with. They look good after cleaning, ss has self-healing qualities which helps a lot. I don't use any topcoats of any kind, ss doesn't like that. Even with some minor dingeyness in the cavities, they don't look 24 years old.

if i bought and old set of eye2's does anyone know where i can find out what to use to recondition them myself?

The copper one's??

I have v-groove Eye 2s (1983, original zz-lite stiff shafts) that were bought used but in very good shape. Do your own research on stainless steel, and then choose which products you want to use and which to avoid. Every once in a while (rarely!) to clean them, I use new steel wool and that waxy club cleaner as a first step, but you have to be careful and not leave any remnants of the steel wool on the clubs. After every round I just use plain water, however if they need better cleaning (and especially if I use that waxy stuff) I use orange clean or simple green but immediately follow with dw soap and water and rinse thoroughly. Then I hit them with wd40 and wipe that off thoroughly. It may be illegal to leave wd40 on, but I think pretty sure its OK to use if I wipe it off. I did this all when I first got them and they shined up nicely, but like I said they were in good shape to begin with. They look good after cleaning, ss has self-healing qualities which helps a lot. I don't use any topcoats of any kind, ss doesn't like that. Even with some minor dingeyness in the cavities, they don't look 24 years old.

Eye2+ for me, I bought them 2nd hand after self-fitting with the web static fit and I don't plan on changing for a long time

23Rounder

Tour Burner 9.5 / RE*AX 60g Stiff
Launcher 13 & 17 Fairway / Fujikura Gold Stiff
MT Pro-C 3-W / DG S300 MP 52.07 Vokey SM58.12 Tracy II, 34" Putter Z-URS or NXT Tour

• 4 years later...

i agree the eye2 is a great forgiving set of irons but i only have the sand wedge to supplement my ISI set i found on Ebay in pristine condition for about 400 bucks. I have played newer pings, clevelands, calaways and nikes (even taylor made though i hate to admit it) and i will go to battle with my ISI set any day of the week. i'm only 34 but the truth is all new irons are about the same and they simply don't make them like they used to. good luck.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Depends on what player we're talking about.  For me it's the i3 or the i20.  S59 irons were very solid as well.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1218 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!