IGNORED

The Drive for 5...

Faksakes
Note: This thread is 2995 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Thanks, Randy.   I could not record my round data b/c my wife and I were playing as a team in the club's best ball tournament and we were a slow group.  If I had, I think your data analysis would show I would have lost a few more strokes to putting, and gained some from full swing.   My lag putt, a strong point in my game, was unusually bad leaving too many putts in 3 - 5 feet range.   This led to five 3-putts and that could very well be my worst since I became a bogey golfer.   If my putting was on, I could have carded 85 easily.   But I am very encouraged by today's round.  I think I am getting the 1st three swing keys right - I am shifting my weight during swing a lot more consistently, keeping my head still, and flipping a lot less.  

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Carded 86 today and that will take my HI into low 16s.   4 points to go to improve my HI by 5 to 12.5.   5 GIRs, 6 straight pars, only one OB in today's round - my swing has really came together in the last  week.   Missed a two footer and a 3 ft putts.  The round could have been even better if made number of green zone putts.  As was, I had 34 putts.. 

My homework for future rounds is to keep my current swing intact.  If I can do that, I will continue to score in high 80s and low 90s which will move my HI into 15s.  

Edited by rkim291968

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Carded 86 today and that will take my HI into low 16s.   4 points to go to improve my HI by 5 to 12.5.   5 GIRs, 6 straight pars, only one OB in today's round - my swing has really came together in the last  week.   Missed a two footer and a 3 ft putts.  The round could have been even better if made number of green zone putts.  As was, I had 34 putts.. 

My homework for future rounds is to keep my current swing intact.  If I can do that, I will continue to score in high 80s and low 90s which will move my HI into 15s.  

We knew it was just a matter I time to be back in the 80s easily.  Each part of your game was showing that capability easily.  It was just a bad round driving, a fluke bunker, out of characteristic three putts- you name it.  One part of your game each day seemed to set you back, but overall each was good enough in the big picture to put you well into the 80s.  

So I'm not surprised.  Great to see the consistency coming around though.  I think I've said above: you've definitely earned it! Hope you roll right through the 80s now!

• Upvote 1

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Nice!  An 86 is a really good score in my book!  The 34 putts that hurt you is also what's been holding me back over the last month.  I've missed so many 5 - 10 foot putts in my recent rounds... and a bunch of them haven't even been of the 'close to going in' variety.  They were either in the hole or missed by a foot or more.  

I spent the last 5+ days away on a short little family vacation.  Every day, I passed the Lake Buena Vista course in Disney World and it made me itch to get on there.  I'll be playing there in April during our extended vacation, but... for the trip that just passed... I was there to spend time with my wife, kids and some friends.  

Now that I'm back... I'm going to be spending some time each day at my 'home' course working on my short game in preparation for the GAT Tour Championship.  My index has dropped to 16.8 officially... and I'm hoping that the changes I've made over the last month or so stick with me in Hilton Head next weekend.  

Until that point... pretty much everything I'll be working on will revolve around my putting and my short game inside of 20 yards.  

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Good luck with GAT Tour championship!

I am too on a 5 day vacation right now, traveling through Utah.  That means, no practice & no rounds.  Then  I play 3 straight rounds immediately after I get back from vacation.  The only thing I can do is mirror work in my hotel room.  

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

For the first time in a long time, I didn't touch a golf club for 4 straight days.  I was making a good improvement on swing keys 1 - 3 before the break and was afraid what I am going to do in today's round.  My fear came true.  I had zero GIRs, and 6 OBs/ball not found (all by the driver).   My ball striking was awful and that translated into a 98.  The only consolation was that I had a good short game, needing only 26 total putts.  The round didn't hurt my HI.   Regardless of what I do tomorrow. the next GHIN will drop to 16s from 17.3.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Ouch!  Missing time like that can definitely hurt.  I go through it on a routine basis... and momentum I had gained flies out the window.  Keep moving forward!

I went to the range on Friday night with my kids just to hit some balls.  I started off poorly, topping a bunch of shots... but then things picked up for me.  I probably won't get to hit any more until Friday morning when I practice before teeing off... but, my fingers are crossed that my indoor work will carry over to the courses next weekend!

CY

Career Bests

Went from 0 GIR & 6 OBs in yesterday's round to 4 GIRs & 1 OB in today's round.  But due to bad short game, I couldn't do any better than 95.  No matter.  My next GHIN will be 16.8, best in the last 5.5 months.  4+ points to go to 12.5 HI, my goal for this thread. 

Life is good.

Edited by rkim291968

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Game wise, everything was going well then I took another lesson.  There, I was reminded that my address is too level, not enough right shoulder tilt.  I don't take my hands back straight enough during back swing.  My swing regressed back to where it was on these two points.   Well, that readjustment caused havoc on my recent rounds.   Gone are scores in the low 90s.  This weekend's round ended up being 95 & 102 (94 & 99 when ESC is applied).   That makes the HI trending to 17.6.   The good news is I have 3 easy rounds to beat before the next GHIN.   The goal is to keep it under the current 16.8.  

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I played in the Golfweek Amateur Tour National Championship this weekend on Hilton Head, and although I failed to meet my scoring goals... I played decently.  

On Friday, I shot a 96 at the Country Club of Hilton Head in Round 1.  In thinking back over my round... I just didn't play very well.  During the round, I felt like I saw playing okay, but... I only made 3 pars and didn't really hit any shots that made me feel like I was doing anything special.

Saturday, the wind picked up a bit and I shot a 94 at Palmetto Hall Plantation's Robert Cupp Course (93 ESC).  I started out great with a birdie on my first hole (#10)... but then I played the rest of that side in an ugly fashion.  The front side was marginally better, but... I hit only 1 green in regulation all day.  Luckily, my putter was warmer than it had been in recent weeks and it kept me in a somewhat respectable score range.  

Sunday was the final day and it was cold and the wind was even stronger than the day before.  Because I was in the top half of the scores for C Flight, I went back to Palmetto Hall Plantation's Robert Cupp Course and posted a satisfying 89.  I started a little weak (bogey - double - bogey), but then had a stretch where I played 6 holes in +1.  I then leveled out, finishing with 4 more doubles, 4 more bogies and another par to close out my round.  The best thing about that round was that I finally avoided a triple for the first time in 2015.  

My handicap trend is now at a low of a 16.7 index.  Unfortunately, outside of perhaps a random round here and there, my season is pretty much over.  It's time to focus on family time and the upcoming holiday season before returning to working on my game in January.  

Hopefully I can continue my progress between now and then, but... I'm sure rust will be evident any time I DO manage to pick up my clubs.

CY

Career Bests

I had less number of OBs in this weekend's rounds.  The swing tweak is somewhat working but not quite there yet but I feel it is getting better.  A few more weeks of specific drills is going to get my swing to a solid ground.   Until then, my HI isn't going anywhere.  With this weekend's rounds, the HI is trending to 17.8, a full point up since the swing lesson.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

-State your Handicap/index and your goal.
Currently what I feel is a generous 12.0 - single figures by the end of our season (finishes 3 April) would be nice.

- Are you taking lessons, if not how are you going about improving?
I do work with a coach with swing tracking and whatnot but not nearly enough as I'd like.  He has an indoor facility I don't really like as the equipment doesn't seem all that accurate - I'll flush a 6i and it'll tell me it's gone 80 yards.  As a result I generally see him for swing path adjustments but practice by going to the range with a specific thing to work on, or just play 9 and drop a bunch of balls along the way.

- How much do you practice/play and what is your strategy to improve?
I get 18 in at least once a week and try to play an evening round of as many holes as possible as well.  My big work-ons are consistency off the tee.  If I can hit the fairway I am usually putting for par (though often from 30+ feet) - it's recovering the bad tee shots which kill my rounds at the moment.

- Post your past few rounds so we can see where you're at, your strengths and weakness' etc. etc.
My last five rounds have been 88-95-90-90-84 (hence my earlier comment about a 'generous' 12).  My strengths are short irons, pitching and lag putting.  Weaknesses are a slice, flying my right elbow, fairway bunkers for some reason, and the most frustrating of all - following a perfect tee or approach shot with a load of rubbish.

As an aside, I was lucky enough to visit the US for three weeks recently and played Hilton Head in SC (hat-tip to Fairway_CY) and Rock Creek, just out of Mobile, AL.  Both good courses but renting clubs can be a bit of a lottery.  Hilton Head's were straight out of a driving range bin, with horrible grips which gave me blisters so bad I gave up after 15 holes, while Rock Creek had the latest Vapors, which was lovely.

• Upvote 1

On 10/29/2015, 2:18:28, possumkiwi said:

-State your Handicap/index and your goal.
Currently what I feel is a generous 12.0 - single figures by the end of our season (finishes 3 April) would be nice.

- Are you taking lessons, if not how are you going about improving?
I do work with a coach with swing tracking and whatnot but not nearly enough as I'd like.  He has an indoor facility I don't really like as the equipment doesn't seem all that accurate - I'll flush a 6i and it'll tell me it's gone 80 yards.  As a result I generally see him for swing path adjustments but practice by going to the range with a specific thing to work on, or just play 9 and drop a bunch of balls along the way.

- How much do you practice/play and what is your strategy to improve?
I get 18 in at least once a week and try to play an evening round of as many holes as possible as well.  My big work-ons are consistency off the tee.  If I can hit the fairway I am usually putting for par (though often from 30+ feet) - it's recovering the bad tee shots which kill my rounds at the moment.

- Post your past few rounds so we can see where you're at, your strengths and weakness' etc. etc.
My last five rounds have been 88-95-90-90-84 (hence my earlier comment about a 'generous' 12).  My strengths are short irons, pitching and lag putting.  Weaknesses are a slice, flying my right elbow, fairway bunkers for some reason, and the most frustrating of all - following a perfect tee or approach shot with a load of rubbish.

As an aside, I was lucky enough to visit the US for three weeks recently and played Hilton Head in SC (hat-tip to Fairway_CY) and Rock Creek, just out of Mobile, AL.  Both good courses but renting clubs can be a bit of a lottery.  Hilton Head's were straight out of a driving range bin, with horrible grips which gave me blisters so bad I gave up after 15 holes, while Rock Creek had the latest Vapors, which was lovely.

Welcome to the thread and the forum!

What I am working on now: 

• Keeping it simple for my swing improvement - just focusing on proper weight shift during swing. 
  • Keeping up with short game practice to avoid regressing.   
  • Keeping up with golf specific workout.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I was already making some progress when this thread started, but I began this season on April 15 with a 29.6 handicap and my goal was to get below 25. I'm pretty sure I am done for the year after today (44 on 9 from the back!) and I have ended the season at 24.6. I consider this a mission accomplished!

• Upvote 1

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

On 11/3/2015, 5:01:30, PJCdude said:

I was already making some progress when this thread started, but I began this season on April 15 with a 29.6 handicap and my goal was to get below 25. I'm pretty sure I am done for the year after today (44 on 9 from the back!) and I have ended the season at 24.6. I consider this a mission accomplished!

A job well done.  Come back next season for another run at reducing 5 HI points.

As for me, the season continues.   I carded a healthy 90 in the last full round and made a small dent to my HI.   It will likely go down to low 17s on 11/15 GHIN report.  

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

11/15 GHIN = 17.5.   I was hoping for better HI but I am going through a major swing tweak (proper hit turn, weight shift) after the last lesson I took.   Today's round was erratic as I was in between my old and new swing. When I got it right, ball went straight but short.   When I got it wrong, it was ugly.   Things got really bad toward the end, OB'ng drives on the last 3 holes after hitting 10 of 11 fairways. 

I will be continuing to work on proper hip turn and weight shift. 

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Took 1/2 day off from work for an afternoon round.  Condition was ideal but I played poorly carding 101.  The erratic golf swing continued.   When I get hip turn/new swing right, I hit shots that were straight as arrow.   That contributed to 5 GIRs/5 pars including 3 of 4 par 3 holes.   That's 2 better than my norm.  I was happy with that.   When I got it wrong, I got into trouble which led to 11 double or worse scores.   I could have done much better except my usual short game abandoned me.   I even hit a duffed chip shot, had 36 putts, ....  

HI trending to 17.8. 

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 2995 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!