IGNORED

The Drive for 5...

Faksakes
Note: This thread is 2996 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

http://lowestscorewins.com/

Great book

Hmmm... I've heard this referenced around here, but never checked it out.

Thanks for the link!

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Haven't been keeping my handicap for a while but I am around a 13-16 depending on the week but hoping to be single digits by the end of summer

Been taking a lesson every other week and playing about 5 rounds a week and practicing every single day!

Averaging just under 36 putts a round and am getting fitted for a putter next week so hoping to drop a few strokes with putting

I have been hitting my driver better but still average like 1.7 drives out of bounds or into a hazard around so need to improve on that

Then my chipping can get a bit better and my long irons can get better too.

Need to start keeping a legit handicap again though

My problem is I've dropped 6 strokes on my HI in the last 8 months.  Dropping another 5 seems really daunting.  I'm 57 and only hit my driver 200 - 220 when I make good contact.  Getting to a HI of 13 or 14, hmmm.  I probably lose about 2-3 strokes a round from hitting the ball fat and maybe another stroke from catching the ball too close to the toe.  Eliminate those and I could be close.

Is there a time frame on this?

Time frame is for the season which I know varies. For me it ends in October, for some of you guys it could be December 31st (we'll use end of year as the latest).

Great improvement there though on taking 6 strokes off. Feel free to set a lower goal than 5 strokes.

Congrats, @No Mulligans.   Can you tell us how you dropped 6 strokes in 8 months?   What worked?

@rkim291968 , thanks.

This site, taking videos of my swing with self analysis, and Evolvr lessons are what helped me.  And, oh yeah, taking time to practice my priority given to me by my instructor.

I use a matt, foam balls and a net in my backyard.  I find being all alone in the backyard helps me to have the discipline to do focused practice.  I don't get much feedback from the ball flight or the feel of contact.  So, this helps me work on the process without worrying about the ball flight.  It's part of my morning prework ritual that I spend about 15 minutes of practice in the backyard.  15 minutes is all that takes, on the other hand it takes me 15 minutes just to drive to the range and another 15 minutes to get back home.

Still, the feedback of hitting a real ball and the ball flight is important so I do sprinkle in some real range practice.

I play golf once or twice a week, more often than not just 9 holes a round.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

Congrats, @No Mulligans.   Can you tell us how you dropped 6 strokes in 8 months?   What worked?

@rkim291968, thanks.

This site, taking videos of my swing with self analysis, and Evolvr lessons are what helped me.  And, oh yeah, taking time to practice my priority given to me by my instructor.

I use a matt, foam balls and a net in my backyard.  I find being all alone in the backyard helps me to have the discipline to do focused practice.  I don't get much feedback from the ball flight or the feel of contact.  So, this helps me work on the process without worrying about the ball flight.  It's part of my morning prework ritual that I spend about 15 minutes of practice in the backyard.  15 minutes is all that takes, on the other hand it takes me 15 minutes just to drive to the range and another 15 minutes to get back home.

Still, the feedback of hitting a real ball and the ball flight is important so I do sprinkle in some real range practice.

I play golf once or twice a week, more often than not just 9 holes a round.

Cool!   We took similar journey and made equally similar improvement.   I did it with a set of new fitted clubs, doing golf specific workout to increase distance, took 5 lessons earlier in the year to change my swing, and lots of practice & playing 2 - 3 times a week.   To be honest, the next 5 points/strokes down in HI is going to be 10 times harder than the previous 5, at least for me.  Good luck with your next 5 points/strokes down and let us know how you are doing it.

I have been working on getting rid of flipping for 5 months now.   Yesterday at range, I finally feel I am almost there.   The Punisher drill and mirror work may be finally taking their effect.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Cool!   We took similar journey and made equally similar improvement.   I did it with a set of new fitted clubs, doing golf specific workout to increase distance, took 5 lessons earlier in the year to change my swing, and lots of practice & playing 2 - 3 times a week.   To be honest, the next 5 points/strokes down in HI is going to be 10 times harder than the previous 5, at least for me.  Good luck with your next 5 points/strokes down and let us know how you are doing it.

I have been working on getting rid of flipping for 5 months now.   Yesterday at range, I finally feel I am almost there.   The Punisher drill and mirror work may be finally taking their effect.

Cool, I've been following your fitted clubs thread/blog.  Great job on lowering your HI.

I completely agree than the next five will be so much harder.  I'm going to set my goal to 3 lower by year end.  Unfortunately, it looks like my HI will go up a little bit on this next revision, maybe to about a 19.  So I'll be shooting for a 16 by year end.  You heard it here first.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Starting off with 5 minutes of the feel I've been trying to get using the mirror to feel like I'm "lagging" my shoulder arms and club behind my hips and legs. Then I'm off to the range for another 3-4 buckets with just this action with the shortest to the longest club I can retain this feel with whatever swing speed I can use to retain it.

Played 17 holes "out of order" for various reasons. Got soaked to the skin trying to chip in from my second shot with the full blast from the sprinklers, and teeing off a par 3. Decided to hit a couple buckets doing what I stated above, and was surprised that once I got the "rhythm" going I was able to hit everything up to my 3W off the tee. On the subject of 3W I lowered the tee to about 3/8" above the mat surface.

On the course I was able to swing pretty much like I wanted. I cast a few shots, but on the whole my swing was reasonably better than before. My driver is slicing a bit, but I was able to fix it on my last two drives. Even with the slice, I drove pin high on a 271 yard par 4, but messed up the chip due to the sprinklers spraying me. I though I timed it well enough to get out of the way of the nozzles, but then the second sprinkler soaked my back and while pausing in the same position a little bit, I got sprayed by the first one.

On the range, I slowed down my swing quite a bit and was hitting balls about a third their normal distance, but was really starting to dial in the timing. I could start to feel that whip at impact, and I was pushing most of my shots, finally. Along with my draw I am able to get on target some of the time. Felt really good. Going to do range practice like this every single day for the next month with at least 3 buckets per session.

Carried the "215 yard" hill consistently and almost hit the blue flag a couple times with my 3W from a 3/8" tee.

Still working on sequencing. It's the toughest thing for me to get consistent.

Note on range balls versus play balls, range balls go about 215 yards/240-ish less than Pro-V1x balls, or about 10% less. That was kind of surprising. I teed off with my 3W and a roughly 3/8" tee and 5 shots all carried about 240 yards over a little bunker that requires 235 carry on the Course 2 18th hole from the blue tees when they are set all the way back. Some shots might have been longer? IDK. I hit over 20 shots with range balls and some landed past the 215 yard hill some landed a tad short. This is just an interesting measure of range ball versus play balls.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Well I've been practicing putting in my apt and also taking swings with a wedge inside. I know this is danger zone for carpet etc. but I'm not going crazy. I think I'm going to buy a full length mirror to work with. Anyone else use this method? Success?

My range time I warm up with about 20 balls hitting wedge and then I "play a round" in my head at one of my favorite courses. I find this method helpful as you're always pulling a different club and I give my self different angles etc. to work on. I think it's much better than just beating 30 balls with the same club and then switching, it's more difficult but I think it will pay dividends in the end. You guys ever try this?

Haven't been keeping my handicap for a while but I am around a 13-16 depending on the week but hoping to be single digits by the end of summer

Been taking a lesson every other week and playing about 5 rounds a week and practicing every single day!

Averaging just under 36 putts a round and am getting fitted for a putter next week so hoping to drop a few strokes with putting

I have been hitting my driver better but still average like 1.7 drives out of bounds or into a hazard around so need to improve on that

Then my chipping can get a bit better and my long irons can get better too.

Need to start keeping a legit handicap again though

I'd be really interested to hear how the putter fitting went and your thoughts. Cheers

Here's what I am working on.

Making sure to pray to golf god before each round.   Sacrificing young animal to golf god before each tournament.

Hm-m-m-m-m. I knew about the Golf Gods. Didn't know you had to sacrifice, but I do have a burger occasionally after a round. :whistle:

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

Got a question for you guys, not sure if I'm the odd ball in this or not.

I'll use my last round as an example. I shot 86 and putting great and chipped even better. My long game was not great at all. I just wasn't getting solid contact on the vast majority of my shots. My question is do you guys get more enjoyment out of a round like this (scrambling for an 86) or say a round where you shot 92 but hit the ball great and just couldn't putt/chip?  For me personally I enjoy the 92 round more. Sure there's a pride in being able to "save" a round but it's just not as fun.

What about you guys?

Got a question for you guys, not sure if I'm the odd ball in this or not. I'll use my last round as an example. I shot 86 and putting great and chipped even better. My long game was not great at all. I just wasn't getting solid contact on the vast majority of my shots. My question is do you guys get more enjoyment out of a round like this (scrambling for an 86) or say a round where you shot 92 but hit the ball great and just couldn't putt/chip?  For me personally I enjoy the 92 round more. Sure there's a pride in being able to "save" a round but it's just not as fun. What about you guys?

I think you are less likely to shoot 92 if you are hitting the ball well. The days I hit the ball well are my better scoring days. If I can't make a putt or my short game leaves me I still shoot 72.-That is the LOWEST I score when my ball striking is not there but my short game is "on".

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Got a question for you guys, not sure if I'm the odd ball in this or not. My question is do you guys get more enjoyment out of a round like this (scrambling for an 86) or say a round where you shot 92 but hit the ball great and just couldn't putt/chip?  What about you guys?

That is a very intriguing question. Lower score without hitting the ball well. Higher score, but good ball striking. Hm-m-m-m-m.

I would say that I get more enjoyment by shooting the lower score almost every time. That means my short game was functioning at a high level, which for me, means that I am competitive.

There have been days when I have struck the ball solidly,  kept the ball in the fairway, my approaches on or around the green all day, and shoot 84 or 85. I wasn't very happy because I should have easily broken 80.

• Upvote 1

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

Got a question for you guys, not sure if I'm the odd ball in this or not.

I'll use my last round as an example. I shot 86 and putting great and chipped even better. My long game was not great at all. I just wasn't getting solid contact on the vast majority of my shots. My question is do you guys get more enjoyment out of a round like this (scrambling for an 86) or say a round where you shot 92 but hit the ball great and just couldn't putt/chip?  For me personally I enjoy the 92 round more. Sure there's a pride in being able to "save" a round but it's just not as fun.

What about you guys?

For me, it depends on other factors.  I shot a 93 in the middle of March that I look to as one of my 'better' rounds of the year.  First, I was striking the ball well... I was just hitting it too far most times.  For example, I hit an 8 iron from 140 yards that flew 155... a 7 iron from 150 that flew 165... etc.  Obviously, it was frustrating... but it gave me reason to smile because I could look at it and say that my range work was helping as I was hitting the ball purely, which was resulting in the longer distances.

Because I was long most of the day, I had to rely on my short game to 'score'.  Although early in the round, I didn't have much success, later on... things really started to click.

I played my last 6 holes par - par - bogey - bogey - par - par.  One bogey was after hitting into a hazard... the other was scrambling after a poor greenside bunker shot flew well over the green.

That round was a combination of scrambling and decent ball striking later in the round.  It wasn't one of my favorite rounds... just one of the rounds I can look at and say that I played well enough to not eliminate myself from contention that day.

I find that when I'm hitting 50% or more of the fairways off the tee... I play much better and enjoy my round much more.  So... I guess you'd  say my satisfaction comes from not losing my round from the tee.  After that... I'd say a good day with my irons would be satisfying.  Finally, I'd say scrambling would be my least favorite way to play the game.  It puts a lot of stress on me and makes the round seem much longer than it is.

CY

• Upvote 1

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

It's not necessarily hitting far that improves your scores. It's hitting more consistently so that you don't expect your 8i to go 140 and hit it 155 where you can start to improve your scores. Knowing how to hit distances within 5 yards of a target from inside 150 yards can save you a lot of strokes. The closer you are to tightening distance the better you will become. Of course, I'm still working hard on this too! ;-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

It's not necessarily hitting far that improves your scores. It's hitting more consistently so that you don't expect your 8i to go 140 and hit it 155 where you can start to improve your scores. Knowing how to hit distances within 5 yards of a target from inside 150 yards can save you a lot of strokes. The closer you are to tightening distance the better you will become. Of course, I'm still working hard on this too!

Who said anything about hitting it far?

I think you are less likely to shoot 92 if you are hitting the ball well. The days I hit the ball well are my better scoring days. If I can't make a putt or my short game leaves me I still shoot 72.-That is the LOWEST I score when my ball striking is not there but my short game is "on".

I agree it's less likely and not the norm but it does happen sometimes to me. I think I enjoy the 92 better because the short game to me is easier to fix but not hitting the ball solid is beyond frustrating. I can get it around but there's not much joy. I want to play to my potential and my feeling is if the long game isn't there then the short game isn't going to get me shooting low. Not saying that's correct but it's how i feel about it.

[QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/82815/the-drive-for-5/36#post_1161955"]   It's not necessarily hitting far that improves your scores. It's hitting more consistently so that you don't expect your 8i to go 140 and hit it 155 where you can start to improve your scores. Knowing how to hit distances within 5 yards of a target from inside 150 yards can save you a lot of strokes. The closer you are to tightening distance the better you will become. Of course, I'm still working hard on this too! ;-) [/QUOTE] Who said anything about hitting it far?

I was just responding to the post where CY hit it 155 instead of 140. If you can hit the 8i anywhere from 140 to 155, either the 155 is too far or the 140 is too short. Ideally, you want the minimum to maximum distance to be within 5 yards, or better, and it doesn't have to be far.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 2996 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!