IGNORED

How does the brand of ball factor into your score?

Note: This thread is 2948 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I hit balls in the trees and OB because my swing is not what it is supposed to be.  I have played enough with the SuperSoft that I do have confidence in it and when my swing is good, I hit fairways and find it plays consistent off all my irons and is pretty good around the green.  So, I play the ball I do because I am confident  with it....It ain't the arrow, it is the indian....

Brand of ball, not at all.

Type of ball, maybe 2-3 strokes in a round.

The answer in a nutshell!

Whenever I stray from mid-spin balls - TopFlite Gamer or Callaway Supersoft - bad things happen.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...

If I could afford to play Pro V1x exclusively I would. I love the feel off irons and I  have better control.

Comes off the putter softer as well.   I believe I could score better but at  $60 CDN a dozen , it troubles me a bit lol.

driver Titleist 905R
3w Titleist 904F
5w Srixon awd 19
irons 3-pw titleist 962
wedges cleveland 485 56 Accuform gap 52putter scotty cameron platinum Luguna 2

I am not good enough to spend the cash for the upper echelon balls but I do consistently play the Callaway Super Soft just so I know how the ball is going to feel , especially off the putter. If I play a harder ball it takes me three or four holes to get used to it.

For whatever reason all my best scores were using a cheap ball. Probably just coincidence. I like to play a premium ball because it feels better but I don't always have access to them. Where I live it's stock up, pay high prices at the course, use whatever Walmart has or make the drive to DSG.

Dave :-)

ProV1's and nothing else.  Have always been the softest and best around the greens for me.  Giive up a little distance because of their spin rates versus the cheaper balls.  Cost wise, I buy them online (lostgolfballs.com).  Can get a bucket of 50 or $50-60 which is a very good deal versus paying that much for a new dozen.

ProV1's and nothing else.  Have always been the softest and best around the greens for me.  Giive up a little distance because of their spin rates versus the cheaper balls.  Cost wise, I buy them online (lostgolfballs.com).  Can get a bucket of 50 or $50-60 which is a very good deal versus paying that much for a new dozen.

The price you're quoting is typically for AAAA quality of older revisions of Pro V1's (2014 and older) so while I agree they are a great deal you have no idea how long the ball spent submerged under water before you bought it and how that will affect it's performance.  I also buy from lostgolfballs.com but if I were a 10 handicap (as you are) I'd probably buy new and remove any variables from the equation regarding the performance of my golf ball.

Joe Paradiso

The only pro V1's I play are the ones I find and I am guaranteed to lose them within 3 holes of finding them. I can play the same ball for 9 boles but if I find a pro V1 looking for one of my slices, I can't seem to keep it!

• 2 weeks later...

The only pro V1's I play are the ones I find and I am guaranteed to lose them within 3 holes of finding them. I can play the same ball for 9 boles but if I find a pro V1 looking for one of my slices, I can't seem to keep it!

Just as Pro V's are a great ball as they spin so well around the green, they also spin well elsewhere and are more prone to slicing and hooking if not struck well.  I also play them a bit, as I have found lot's, but find a 3 piece ball is a little more reliable for my skill level.

Just play Snell. They rock.

I will affirm that statement! Since putting the Snell My Tour ball in play, I have shot my 3 lowest rounds of the year. I know I am swinging better, but I have really liked the distance control with my approach shots. Prior to changing I used the TM Tour Preferred X.

• 1 month later...

To answer the OP, the

brand

makes no difference. The

type

of ball can make a significant difference. Ever major manufacturer makes various types of balls with different playing characteristics. It's the playing characteristics that work best for him, that a player needs to identify to get the best performance from his ball.

I think the brand can make a difference. Yes, the model within that brand is very important too of course, but there are certain benefits that come with playing a particular brand. 

One example is Bridgestone uses injection molding for their covers vs. the traditional compression molding used by some other companies. This creates a more consistent cover:

cover-sct_diagram_a.thumb.jpg.38d1555919So I think the brand and model can make a difference.

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Guess Im in the minority here. The brand may not matter but the model makes a huge difference in my game. Its been my experience that the ball used impacts each player differently. Lots of players can use any ball and notice no difference but for me, the ball can be a game changer. The Callaway supersoft for example helped me shave six strokes off my handicap. My miss is a worm burner and im aggressive on and around the greens. The supersoft has a soft feel I enjoy, helps me get and keep the ball airborne with its high trajectory, and is money for me inside of 150 so a fresh dozen stays in the bag. As far as accuracy goes I cant see much of a difference between any ball. Biggest differences between balls will be feel, price, and how they perform around the green. As far as brand recognition goes, it usually just means some marketting guru hit one out of the park. 

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

Guess Im in the minority here. The brand may not matter but the model makes a huge difference in my game. Its been my experience that the ball used impacts each player differently. Lots of players can use any ball and notice no difference but for me, the ball can be a game changer. The Callaway supersoft for example helped me shave six strokes off my handicap. My miss is a worm burner and im aggressive on and around the greens. The supersoft has a soft feel I enjoy, helps me get and keep the ball airborne with its high trajectory, and is money for me inside of 150 so a fresh dozen stays in the bag. As far as accuracy goes I cant see much of a difference between any ball. Biggest differences between balls will be feel, price, and how they perform around the green. As far as brand recognition goes, it usually just means some marketting guru hit one out of the park. 

Callaway Chrome Soft, crazy spin around the green, game changer on chipping. It does matter.

Note: This thread is 2948 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!