IGNORED

Who else is injured right now and addicted to golf?

Valleygolfer
Note: This thread is 3071 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I battle gout from time to time and I can absolutely relate...........just pure hell when I am on the shelf and my buddies are playing.....I had to give away a spot in a scramble earlier in the year due to a gout attack......but the worst is that it is usually in my foot/ankle and I can even make swings in my front room.

Feel your pain....hang in there.

• Upvote 1

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

I am. I was getting my golf fix from Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2013 until I traded in my XBox 360. Next up Rory's PGA Tour 2015. First it was the tibia. I have a bone spur right under the patellar tendon. It flares up periodically. Physical therapy doesn't help. I had to go to a modified version of S&T.; Two orthopedists tell me there is no treatment - surgery is impossible due to the location. You don't shoot tendons with cortisone. Repeated trauma over the years from weight lifting and most recently from too much driving range work aggravated bone spurs in my shoulders. Both of them. We're trying cortisone shots. I'm exercising them now. Perhaps in July I'll be able to play again. Maybe. I won't be able to practice so much if at all, so the choice between playing or range work, I'll play. Maybe practice at the range off a short tee and hit a few drives. Just don't make impact with the mat. Save that for the course. Spend most of my practice on my short game and putting. This has forced me to lower my expectations with the game. I'll be very happy if I can shoot 90. I'm prepared to build a game around keeping the ball on the fairway and be able to chip and putt well to get up and down. The saving factor is  playing from the reds. Now if you have a XBox One, and get Rory's PGA Tour 2015 later in July......

My gaming system broke two plus years ago and I have not replaced it...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I mean this in the best way possible, but I don't know how you older guys do it! I'm only 36 and have a horrible lower back and knees. It goes back to my baseball and basketball days. My back is always incredibly sore the day after I play golf. I'm not sure 30 years from now I'll still be able to play regularly.

As an older guy, I understand. I am an orthopedic nightmare with 4 total joint replacements. However, golf is the most enjoyable of the skilled sports I've played and has caused the least damage so I switched at retirement. Play mostly on bent grass as much as I can due to it requiring a little more moisture and easier on the legs. But, I don't regret anything and generally consult with my golf buddy doctors on things, when I can. Just not ready for the recliner yet and hope to get back to single digits if possible. BTW - not a commercial but concur with earlier post that an adjustable, foam type bed really helps the body recover faster.

I seem to always be injured and it has come to the point that I don't make tee times.  If I feel up to it when I get out of bed then I'll go over and play.  Lately my back has been really sore to the point that it feels like it wants to "go out".  I'm talking the kind of sharp stabbing pain that puts you down for a week or two.  I don't want that so if I feel so so, then I only chip and putt on the practice green and don't do full swings or my version of it.  Since my motorcycle head on crash 4+ years ago, I've been nursing a shoulder tear, neck pain, left hip replacement, and way too many headaches.  My whole left side feels like crap most of the time.  I have also been fighting illitibial band syndrome in the left leg for way to long and it started coming on in the months following all that bullshit.  All that stuff raises hell with trying to plant your feet, taking a swing, and hitting it far.  The neck problems were compounded when some other bozo rear ended my car and totaled it out 3 weeks after the motorcycle ordeal.  I don't like taking the pills but sometimes they are a must if I feel like doing anything.  I try to walk it as much as I can but sometimes the get up and go has got up and left even before teeing up the first ball.  Come hell or high water, I will be out there playing as much as I can.

Driver:  :nike:  Vapor Pro 9.5°  Wood & Hybrids : :nike:Covert Tour 13°, 18° & 21°
Irons & Wedges:
  :nike:  Covert 2.0  5i - AW,  :titleist:   56-14F,  60-07S
Putter:     :titleist:Newport Select
Balls:  :bridgestone: B330-RX

Holy sh!t. You guys are depressing. :-( I have a sore left knee from playing softball 30 years ago. I have tendonitis in both my elbows and wrists. My right elbow hurts so bad I can't turn a screwdriver. Comes from not properly supporting my elbow when using my mouse. I got rear ended last year, but only about 5 mph. My neck still hurts though. Eucalyptus helps with the sore neck. I've had two rotator cuff strains in my left shoulder. really affects the shoulder turn. My back can have spasms at times, but situps help there. I've lost 10-20% of my distance, but can still get it in play. Four Advil before each round.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I picked up golf to avoid sports related injuries.  Before golf, I played soccer and was getting injured too often.   Now, the only injury I have from playing golf is some light soreness with my hands, and locked left hand pinkie finger.  It's at its worst after waking up in the morning.    Are we counting mental anguish as an injury?   I get that a lot.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Holy sh!t. You guys are depressing. :-( I have a sore left knee from playing softball 30 years ago. I have tendonitis in both my elbows and wrists. My right elbow hurts so bad I can't turn a screwdriver. Comes from not properly supporting my elbow when using my mouse. I got rear ended last year, but only about 5 mph. My neck still hurts though. Eucalyptus helps with the sore neck. I've had two rotator cuff strains in my left shoulder. really affects the shoulder turn. My back can have spasms at times, but situps help there. I've lost 10-20% of my distance, but can still get it in play. Four Advil before each round.

Had to chuckle at the depressing comment. Probably right but not the intent. My plan is to now play 3-4 times per week rather than light chip/pitch and putt. So yesterday I went to course and hit 3 buckets of practice balls to the pitching green from 30-70 yards out with gap wedge practicing flighted shot video recently posted then played 18 cart path only. Front a little rough getting the parts in sequence and lost two to the left in the sand and came up short on two but was much more in tempo (and accurate) on the back. That dreaded 434 four par wasn't as scary this time. No soreness at all today and looking forward to studying more and trying to apply things on the course. FWIW- we put a 5/16" left heel lift in to compensate for the lost / removed bone. Really helped to reduce fat shot on the range.

I picked up golf to avoid sports related injuries.  Before golf, I played soccer and was getting injured too often.   Now, the only injury I have from playing golf is some light soreness with my hands, and locked left hand pinkie finger.  It's at its worst after waking up in the morning.    Are we counting mental anguish as an injury?   I get that a lot.

I'm in the same boat. I'm rethinking the way I downhill ski and am going to start cutting back on junping and dripping cliffs for the fact that I can't stand getting hurt anymore. Plus I have more time and energy invested in golf so it wouldn't make sense to take that away from a stupid skiing injury.

In the bag:
Driver: R9 Supertri
3W: R9
3i-PW: Mizuno Mp-68
Wedges: Taylormade Racs
Putter: PING Redwood blade

Tried to hit some yesterday. No dice. I know way better than to do this too. We have a short season for golf and I am freaking out.

Boo. Had to give up and wear it full time. I took all clubs out of my car until further notice, cept for the putter.

Hit a few lob wedge shots today. I think I should have left it alone but I went to practice putting and brought my practice wedge and couldn't resist hitting some 50 yarders. Now I am sore and hopefully not set back....

I hit a small bucket of balls last night for the first time since injuring my back in March, am sore as balls today, too. Hope you're back out there soon.

• Upvote 1

Boo. Had to give up and wear it full time. I took all clubs out of my car until further notice, cept for the putter.

If that's Carpal Tunnel, check out the Fitness and Exercise forum Update on my golfers elbow link CTCream works like a charm. My elbows used to hurt so bad, I couldn't swing a club. Now I don't even think about it.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

My gaming system broke two plus years ago and I have not replaced it...

As a PT I'm curious as to what they had you do for PT? I'm a firm believer that the right program and discipline can get anybody back on the course in a timely manner. Prior to college and in my college years I accumulated 5 knee operations. It took me a long time to realize time is your best friend along with a good PT. Hang in there it'll get better!

As a PT I'm curious as to what they had you do for PT? I'm a firm believer that the right program and discipline can get anybody back on the course in a timely manner. Prior to college and in my college years I accumulated 5 knee operations. It took me a long time to realize time is your best friend along with a good PT. Hang in there it'll get better!

Very good points. As a quad total joint replacement PT regiment is critical for me. Back to course in 4-8 weeks depending on joint, per doctor release. Strengthening continues. Sorry about the hand/wrist problem. Understand fully.

If that's Carpal Tunnel, check out the Fitness and Exercise forum Update on my golfers elbow link CTCream works like a charm. My elbows used to hurt so bad, I couldn't swing a club. Now I don't even think about it.

It's definitely not carpal tunnel, it is a possible Triangular fibrocartilage complex or (TFCC) injury although the orthopedic tests were inconclusive. Happened the second time immediately after a golf shot. [quote name="ATLBraves" url="/t/82887/who-else-is-injured-right-now-and-addicted-to-golf/20_20#post_1163824"] As a PT I'm curious as to what they had you do for PT? I'm a firm believer that the right program and discipline can get anybody back on the course in a timely manner. Prior to college and in my college years I accumulated 5 knee operations. It took me a long time to realize time is your best friend along with a good PT. Hang in there it'll get better![/quote] No PT, just rest, some manipulation and trying a little cold laser but I am not sure how that is working. I really need to just quit using it but work doesn't let me completely.

It's definitely not carpal tunnel, it is a possible Triangular fibrocartilage complex or (TFCC) injury although the orthopedic tests were inconclusive. Happened the second time immediately after a golf shot.

No PT, just rest, some manipulation and trying a little cold laser but I am not sure how that is working. I really need to just quit using it but work doesn't let me completely.

Yeh nothing like "RICE" rest, ice, compression, and elevation.  I can only imagine how frustrated you are.  Does it hurt to putt, because if not you could put some serious work into your short game :)

Note: This thread is 3071 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!