IGNORED

Golfer shoots 57 with 3 aces, 2 of which were on par-4's

David in FL
Note: This thread is 3214 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Are you kidding me?! :bugout:

Yay or nay?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/golf-devil-ball-golf/va--golfer-shoot-57-with-3-aces--including-2-on-par-4s-133851416-golf.html

Va. golfer shoot 57 with 3 aces, including 2 on par 4s

If someone told you they shot 57 for a round of golf, there are two natural reactions:

1. Facetiously ask, "Was that for nine holes?" and then laugh;

2. Slap them in the face and call them a liar.

However, Virginian Patrick Wills did just that, carding a 14-under 57 in a tournament round played at Laurel Hill Golf Course in Lorton, Va., host of the 2013 U.S. Amateur Public Links. Michael Keating, publisher of GolfStyles Media Group, claims the 59-year-old former Marine did it in the second round of a Summer Solstice tournament at the course. Even more amazing? Wills had three holes-in-one during the round, including two on par 4s.

Keating, who was tournament director for the event, set up the tournament, designed to maximize rounds in a single day because of the amount of sunlight, to get easier over the course of the day. In Round 2, players competed off the White tees at a length of 6,021 yards.

Wills went out in 29, making four birdies in the first six holes, along with his lone bogey of the day. On the 278-yard par-4 seventh, Wills made his first of three aces on the day with what he called a "baby-draw 3-wood."

59-year-old Patrick Wills shot 57 at Laurel Hill G.C. in Lorton, Va. (Credit: GolfStylesOnline.com)

He then started the back nine with another par-4 ace, this time from 310 yards with a driver. He was incredulous.

"I literally said to myself, 'Get real.' I thought they were teasing me," he said. "Never in my wildest imagination did I think I could get multiple ones in the same round."

At the uphill par-3 14th, Wills used a 5-iron to make his third and final hole-in-one on the day. At that point, Wills was 13 under through 14 holes.

He slowed down from there, playing the final four holes in 1 under, including a Dustin Johnson-like three-putt par on the par-5 finishing hole.

Though the 57 is a lifetime best for Wills, he claims to have "numerous" rounds of 59, as well 22 career aces, including four on par 4s.

I know, I know. You're thinking a word that rhymes with poolspit. However, Wills, who is a plus-4 handicap, has witnesses: sons Charlie and Christopher, also a member of the military, as well as Air Force major Matt Ghormley.

Wills understands the skepticism.

"People are allowed to believe what they want to believe - I fought for that freedom," he said. "But I know what I shot, my playing partners know what I shot and the people at the tournament do as well."

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Nay as one does not have "multiple" 59's in his amateur career ... he has an EXACT number of 59's when asked about it (as there have only been 5 or 6 in PGA history)

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

+4 handicap on a 6000 yard course? Definitely possible. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Nay as one does not have "multiple" 59's in his amateur career ... he has an EXACT number of 59's when asked about it (as there have only been 5 or 6 in PGA history)

"numerous" rounds of 59 is some very suspicious wording. Though it is possible the reporter is simply terrible at explaining the details.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

I don't care how good a golfer he is, the par 3 & 4's had to be setup to funnel the ball into the hole for 3 aces to even be possible.

Joe Paradiso

Like that scene in Caddyshack

"Great shot, Bishop. You must have made a deal with the Devil."

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt on everything and I have absolutely ZERO basis with which to say this is untrue so I'll just say that, for me, this is something that I would HAVE TO see to believe, and I didn't see it .... So I'll leave it at that. I'd like to know how many people in the entire world, Tour Pros INCLUDED even have a 278 and 310 yard hole out to their credit ... IN THEIR ENTIRE LIFETIMES. Let alone in the same round ... and not to mention alongside another hole in one with a 5 iron. EDIT: He also has the fact that it was in a tournament going for him as well. There should have been some oversight at least.

I was unaware that North Korea was looking for a new leader.
  • Upvote 3

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Lol I've played with this guy before. He's the real deal. I remember playing a two man best ball format outing, however he played by himself. This guy gave everyone 10 strokes and STILL won shooting a 64 with two bogeys...

Lol I've played with this guy before. He's the real deal. I remember playing a two man best ball format outing, however he played by himself. This guy gave everyone 10 strokes and STILL won shooting a 64 with two bogeys...

I doubt anyone is questioning his golfing ability but making 3 aces (2 of which are par 4's) in one round is a bit difficult to accept unless the course was tricked out to make this more likely than it typically would be.  According to Golf Digest, the odds of a pro hitting a hole in 1 is 2500 to 1. http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2013/11/want-to-know-your-odds-for-a-hole-in-one-well-here-they-are.html

Joe Paradiso

I believe half of what I see and none of what I read. The world is full of story tellers and people who support story tellers

No reason to doubt him. It's ublikely, but not impossible. Pretty amazing achievement.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Is this a big deal? You guys have never done this? :-P

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• Administrator

Is this a big deal? You guys have never done this?

Seriously, I used to do it all the time when I was playing Tiger Woods on my Xbox 360.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Seriously, I used to do it all the time when I was playing Tiger Woods on my Xbox 360.

57 is a pretty high score for Tiger Wood's golf on the Xbox :whistle:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
57 is a pretty high score for Tiger Wood's golf on the Xbox

Oh, I was talking about my 36-hole scores. (But yeah, seriously, any round not in the "40s" was a disappointing day…).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Are you kidding me?!

Yay or nay?

Virginian Patrick Wills [shot] a 14-under 57 in a tournament round played at Laurel Hill Golf Course in Lorton, Va., host of the 2013 U.S. Amateur Public Links. Even more amazing? Wills had three holes-in-one during the round, including two on par 4s.

Wills understands the skepticism.

"People are allowed to believe what they want to believe - I fought for that freedom," he said. "But I know what I shot, my playing partners know what I shot and the people at the tournament do as well."

When I read the story I thought about the round of North Korean leader Kim Jong-ils, who shot 38 under par, 34 for 18 holes. According to the 17 security guards who observed the performance, the score included an amazing 11 aces. The event was dutifully reported to the North Korean masses by the state news agency.

I know that there have been a number of golfers with two holes-in-one in the same round, and after a little research I found one other golfer with three, a 14 year old high school freshman in 2007.

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/local-news/just_one_those_unbelievable_days

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

Note: This thread is 3214 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!