IGNORED

What type of "shot" is this?

Note: This thread is 3217 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Been hitting my long irons pretty inconsistently lately. 1 shot can be a ripped 5 iron off the deck going about 200 yards and then the next can go about 50 yards. The latter is frustrating me obviously and what is happening is quite strange. At first I thought I was topping the ball but I'm not. It seems like I'm hitting the ball into the ground as it creates almost like a divot but not quite a divot. The divot is basically the path where the golf ball has shot through the grass. Essentially the divot has been caused by the ball rather than the club. Like a trail of destruction! The end result is a shot that moves across the ground never getting any more than a few inches from the ground, travelling no more than 50 yards! Can anyone tell me what kind of shot that is? Shallow fat hit? What causes it? I've been concentrating on getting in a better address position to ball and bending from the hips more and having my hands farther from my body

Can anyone tell me what kind of shot that is? Shallow fat hit?

What causes it? I've been concentrating on getting in a better address position to ball and bending from the hips more and having my hands farther from my body

I would recommend starting a My Swing thread here, http://thesandtrap.com/f/4180/member-swings

Here are some guidelines, http://thesandtrap.com/t/38240/my-swing-video-threads-rules-please-read

To me it sounds like you have a very steep angle of attack. As for fixing it, it depends on what is happening in your swing. That is why I recommend starting a My Swing thread and video tape your swing.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Been hitting my long irons pretty inconsistently lately.

1 shot can be a ripped 5 iron off the deck going about 200 yards and then the next can go about 50 yards.

The latter is frustrating me obviously and what is happening is quite strange. At first I thought I was topping the ball but I'm not. It seems like I'm hitting the ball into the ground as it creates almost like a divot but not quite a divot. The divot is basically the path where the golf ball has shot through the grass. Essentially the divot has been caused by the ball rather than the club.

Like a trail of destruction! The end result is a shot that moves across the ground never getting any more than a few inches from the ground, travelling no more than 50 yards!

Can anyone tell me what kind of shot that is? Shallow fat hit?

What causes it? I've been concentrating on getting in a better address position to ball and bending from the hips more and having my hands farther from my body

I'm not exactly sure what it's called but this would probably be a good first step on how to improve your contact. Point is, your club is bottoming out behind the ball, can lead to fat, thin or topped shots.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Simple. You're swinging too hard. You're probably starting to swing full speed at the top of your downswing. Slow it down until you get toward the bottom of your downswing.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Simple. You're swinging too hard. You're probably starting to swing full speed at the top of your downswing. Slow it down until you get toward the bottom of your downswing.

+1 What it sounds to me like spunds like when I first started. Swung too hard hit some nice but shere luck on my part lol.

Might be a good idea to put a "my swing" video up. I would probably suggest doing it face on for this particular problem.

Look on youtube at people like Mark Crossfield, Meandmygolf, Rick Shiels, Peter Finch etc, they all cover this, it's quite a common fault.

I wouldn't worry about this too much though at this point, a 5I is a tough club to hit for most golfers with a 15+ handicap. Most I've seen carry their 6i and 7i further, with much more consistency.

Chris 

Ex-field hockey player with a few things on my list to correct/ sort out:
1:  Flipping, 2: Overswing, 3: Stop being Tin Cup

Been playing properly since May 2014, got the bug now, so I'm here forever. Must have watched a billion hours of youtube videos, seems to help!

Note: This thread is 3217 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!