IGNORED

2015 British Open at St. Andrews Discussion Thread

colin007
Note: This thread is 3004 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Have at it boys... Being played at St Andrews for the 29th (!!) time now, should be a good one. Rory will probably win but y'all know who I want to win.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If the weathers nice and it is soft as predicted, I think Rory could destroy the place like Tiger did in 2000. Rory is best on soft tracks....his track record shows that. I think Jordan will play well, but I think this is going to be the toughest of the 4 for him to win. As for Tiger, I expect a good showing but he doesn't have a chance if Jordan or Rory bring their A-game. Not many do. It starts with those two guys, and if they're off, it opens up the door for others to step up.

Rory has a problem....

Quote:
Total rupture of left ATFL (ankle ligament) and associated joint capsule damage in a soccer kickabout with friends on Saturday. Continuing to assess extent of injury and treatment plan day by day. Rehab already started..... Working hard to get back as soon as I can.

~Jorrit

Rory has a problem.... [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/126934/] [/URL]

Well that sucks.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Well that sucks.

Crap

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

If the weathers nice and it is soft as predicted, I think Rory could destroy the place like Tiger did in 2000. Rory is best on soft tracks....his track record shows that. I think Jordan will play well, but I think this is going to be the toughest of the 4 for him to win. As for Tiger, I expect a good showing but he doesn't have a chance if Jordan or Rory bring their A-game. Not many do. It starts with those two guys, and if they're off, it opens up the door for others to step up.

Well now it starts with Jordan alone. The Rory injury is sad for golf. It would be good for the sport if they would be battling for one of these last two majors.

There goes my pick for the bridgestone golf balls :cry:

I hope Rory gets well quickly. Golf is much more interesting when he's in contention.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

i'd go with Jordan, then Dustin , after that its kind of a crap shoot... there are a lot of other guys who are playing well every week..

It is what it is

i'd go with Jordan, then Dustin , after that its kind of a crap shoot... there are a lot of other guys who are playing well every week..

I like Dustin's chances if he drives it like he did at Chambers Bay.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Man, that does suck. Somewhat ironically, I blew out my ankle ligaments a day prior to my final round at The Old Course. I struggled through the round with it wrapped tight. The key was that it was my right ankle so during the set up and swing, I kept all my weight left and actually played OK, 86 I think. So much so that I tried to maintain that weight-left approach after the ankle healed but eventually abandoned it. With a LEFT ankle injury, i dont think I could have played so I think Rory might be in for a long layoff, gotta get to your left side to generate power. Hope he recovers soon.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Well now it starts with Jordan alone. The Rory injury is sad for golf. It would be good for the sport if they would be battling for one of these last two majors.

Yeah, it's a shame. Rory had the potential to destroy that place. I don't think Jordan will. Will be interesting to see what his form is like this week at John Deere, not that it's ever been bad, but his putting was a bit off at the Open, even though he still won. But I think this opens things up for a guy like Dustin Johnson who I also think can take advantage of this course. Watch out for Casey, too, who was in the final pairing with Oosthuizen at St. Andrew's in 2010.

Yeah, it's a shame. Rory had the potential to destroy that place. I don't think Jordan will. Will be interesting to see what his form is like this week at John Deere, not that it's ever been bad, but his putting was a bit off at the Open, even though he still won. But I think this opens things up for a guy like Dustin Johnson who I also think can take advantage of this course. Watch out for Casey, too, who was in the final pairing with Oosthuizen at St. Andrew's in 2010.

I agree DJ has a great chance. I also think Justin Rose is a solid dark horse. He hit it long enough and has a great iron game. I'm kinda interested to see how speith handles the pressure of being a favorite going into a major.

I don't. DJ can't make putts under pressure it seems.

He missed a bunch of short putts on Sunday at the US Open, the miss at 18 wasn't surprising.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

He had a bad run of putting at the end of the Open, sure, but it's kind of unfair to extrapolate too much from that sample. He's always been a mediocre putter, being around 100th in strokes gained; I don't think you can definitively link it to pressure as much as just a reflection of true talent level. He's won events as recently as in a playoff this year, so it's not like he crumbles under pressure as a rule.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Quote:

Originally Posted by teeitup22

He had a bad run of putting at the end of the Open, sure, but it's kind of unfair to extrapolate too much from that sample. He's always been a mediocre putter, being around 100th in strokes gained; I don't think you can definitively link it to pressure as much as just a reflection of true talent level. He's won events as recently as in a playoff this year, so it's not like he crumbles under pressure as a rule.

People said Vijay Singh would never win the Masters because of his putter.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Poor Rory.

However, i don't think Jordan is going to win this one. Maybe a guy like Kaymer, who just seems to get in form again, to snatch this (finished T-7 last time in 2010).

Note: This thread is 3004 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!