IGNORED

Rory McIlroy Ruptures Tendon, Out of British Open + Longer?

acetoolguy
Note: This thread is 3178 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I wonder if he will join my injured and addicted to golf thread.... This could have happened anywhere. Instant surgery will benefit him. Regular joes walk on something like this causing a lot of degeneration before addressing it, by then it is too late.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm not a doctor either but I've rolled my share of ankles and I'll bet he ends up just taping it up and he plays in the Open. He's not going to miss that, he'd have to wait 5 more years until it comes back. He's got ten days to get ready. It's not like he doesn't already know the course. Plus it's not like he's a "Johnny Miller left ankle roller" anyway. I think folks will be surprised that 1) he plays and 2) plays pretty well. It's amazing how stable a taped ankle feels when, without taping, it feels pretty wobbly.

Right ankle...maybe. Not left. Plus they're not riding carts. Hardest part would be walking the course.

Sucks that he hurt his ankle, but I'm glad that he does things outside of golf. That's single-minded obsessiveness that a Tiger or Hogan has/had doesn't really lend itself to a happy and full life I don't think.

So if he wants another game to play, how about snooker or poker?  Something he won't get injured doing.

Even Hogan played gin rummy.

Just to clarify my self more. I'm not saying that he and other pros shouldn't participate in other things they consider fun. What I'm saying is that to me this is like Tom Brady playing a pickup basketball game in the week leading up to the Super Bowl.. I can't imagine that the sponsors of Rory are going to be happy that this happened right before a huge tournament.. Heck, I remember my wrestling coach in HS telling us not to play basketball or pickup football while in season..

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

So if he wants another game to play, how about snooker or poker?  Something he won't get injured doing. Even Hogan played gin rummy.

Perhaps, but Rory deserves to live a full life outside of considerations of athletic success. A full life is more worthwhile than athletic achievement. [quote name="billchao" url="/t/83044/rory-mcilroy-ruptures-tendon-out-of-british-open-longer/30#post_1164960"] I'm not sure how doing something like parachuting out of military aircrafts is in any way training for golf. I think you misinterpreted my use of the word "exercise."[/quote] I didn't misinterpret "exercise". I've read the same stories and heard the same rumors. Going on a military exercise does not strike me as the same type of thing as Rory kicking a soccer all with his friends.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

So if he wants another game to play, how about snooker or poker?  Something he won't get injured doing. Even Hogan played gin rummy.

Well he wants to do something he enjoys doing. These guys don't go out there thinking "what if I get hurt?" You can't think that. He's probably done this a million times before and didn't get hurt. It's just bad luck, that's all.

From Geoff Shackelford's blog: Tim Rosaforte says McIlroy was simply running, not kicking. Did not slip.

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2015/7/6/mcilroy-ruptures-ankle-ligaments-open-in-doubt.html

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I can't fault Rory for playing soccer with his buddies. The chances of getting injured while playing soccer is extremely small.

Indeed, soccer isn't even a real sport.

I can't fault Rory for playing soccer with his buddies. The chances of getting injured while playing soccer is extremely small. Indeed, soccer isn't even a real sport.

I'm not sure if you are kidding or serious, but if you are serious about soccer not being a real sport then we can start a thread about which is more of a real "sport" golf or soccer ;) If you are kidding then forget everything I said :)

Eyad

I'm not sure if you are kidding or serious, but if you are serious about soccer not being a real sport then we can start a thread about which is more of a real "sport" golf or soccer ;)

If you are kidding then forget everything I said :)

I think he's joking. He wouldn't be that big of an idiot to call soccer "not a real sport." If soccer wasn't a real sport, then neither would basketball, baseball, football or really anything else for that matter.

I think he's joking. He wouldn't be that big of an idiot to call soccer "not a real sport." If soccer wasn't a real sport, then neither would basketball, baseball, football or really anything else for that matter.

That's why I hedged my response just in case :)

Eyad

Wow. That's sucks for Rory. I play on a soccer team in rec league. 2 weeks ago, my friend had a simple ankle sprain while going for the ball. He's still in a walking boot & isn't able to kick a ball. Rory should forget bout The Open for this year, shouldn't risk it with the amount of pressure his ankles withstand with his kind of swing...

"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports. . . all others are games."  - Ernest Hemingway

Yeah guys, I was joking. It can be difficult to tell serious vs sarcasm when reading something. Sorry, it didn't read like I intended.

Not an issue at all, happens all the time.. A smiley goes a long way though ;)

Eyad

Sucks for him, I love to watch him play. It does make Spieth's chance for a triple a little bit better tho. Merica.

Sucks for him, I love to watch him play. It does make Spieth's chance for a triple a little bit better tho. Merica.

A little better, but this still is going to be the toughest major for Jordan to win. Jordan's won the first two majors on fast surfaces (even if Augusta's greens were slower than normal). This major's going to be more for the ball-strikers if the weather remains soft and wet like predicted, similar to Liverpool a year ago. I still think Jordan will contend because he's in contention every tournament he plays, but I think he's going to have a tougher time coming out of the pack.

Having very badly sprained my left ankle (I'm right handed) a few years back, no ruputure just sprain. I can sympathise for him. I was back riding my bike in a few days but walking was very difficult. I'd say he will probably be ok to swing but the walk around the course will be the most difficult. Any time you walk on uneven ground or up/down a hill I had to be very cautious not to roll it again. Actually, I rolled my ankle again about 2 weeks after the initial injury when I was out playing a few holes (cause I thought it was ok). I just stood on a very slightly uneven piece of ground and seeing as the ligaments were very weak I went right over and that was me done for another 2 weeks. I'd say he will be ok for PGA championship but will be tough to get ready for St Andrews.

Driver: :tmade: R1 S 10 degree Wood: :ping: G20 3W Hybrid: :nike:Covert Pro 3H
Irons: :tmade: Rocketbladez Tour 4i-AW KBS S SW: :cleveland: CG15 54 degree
LW: :cleveland: CG15 58 degree Putter: :tmade: Corza Ghost Ball: :tmade: Penta

Note: This thread is 3178 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!