IGNORED

Improving Quicker than Handicap Reflects?

GolferDan88
Note: This thread is 3213 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all-

This is my first post here. This season I have made it my goal to improve significantly. I've been playing for about 5 years, but only had one year where I was able to play consistently. I got a new set of Cobra Fly-Z's this season and have been playing multiple rounds every weekend since. This is the first year I've properly kept score (and obviously a handicap). I've dropped my handicap to a 24.5 having started at a 27.2

I've mostly been hovering in the 90's now that my swing is becoming more repeatable, but have days where I'll really struggle keeping the ball on line, resulting in many many lost balls. Even when I'm shooting in the 90's I'll usually have a 2-3 blow-up holes where I max my allowable score based on ESC.

I'm playing in tournaments for this first time this season, and my main concern is that because I have committed to improving I think I'm improving quicker than my handicap is reflecting, and I don't want to be seen as a sandbagger. Over the weekend, I shot my lowest score yet (90), but hit 6 GIR, and parred 3 of the last 4 holes. The previous day I started my round with 3 straight pars, finishing with a 42 on the Front 9. The back 9 I had two blow-up holes (I Hate those two par 5's!).

Below are most most recently posted scores. Based on my ability to go out and put up multiple pars within a matter of holes, along with having a decent number of birdie opportunities, how do you think my handicap reflects? My Home Course handicap is a 26, which I feel like is pretty high, essentially like having shot a 64 with my 90? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for the input!

Your handicap is being affected by the course rating. 67.5 is pretty low. My league course is rated similarly and playing well there does nothing for my handicap, however other courses I play are rated higher and when I shoot the same scores or even a little higher my handicap trends down. I would look at trying to play a course with a rating 70 or higher more often.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for the feedback!

Makes sense, I was initially surprised earlier in the season where one of my higher scores was used for a revision despite being 108, but it was because the course rating/slope was much higher.

I probably won't be able to get to other courses much this season as I was able to get a really cheap membership and trying to keep costs down after the club purchases. Hopefully next year I can start playing some more difficult courses.

For now, since I can have days where I go out and have an absolute hard time keeping the ball in play, I do like playing the same course over and over as until I can really feel like I'm striking the ball consistently I don't want to pay an arm and a leg on greens fees, only to have a miserable round.

I'll put my handicap committee hat on.

The only thing I would say about your scores is it would seem you don't always put the correct date when posting, or are you actually playing 2 and 3 rounds a day?

If I see a lot of scores posted on the same day that can be a red flag for bogus scores and I usually enquire further.

Other than that, I wouldn't worry about it.  As long as you have accurately posted all your scores, and have tried to do your best while playing, you have nothing to feel bad about.

I hope you do shoot a 64, but remember, the golf gods can be very fickle.......especially in tournament play. ;-)

Regards,

John

First, welcome to the forum here, I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I have.  Now to your question.

You say your handicap index is now 24.5, and I assume that's your July 1 index.  Look at your list, and the distribution of "differences" (in the right hand column) at or below your index.  While you may feel your game becoming better controlled, that trend is not really apparent.  If your handicap was static, I'd expect about 1/4 of your scores to be around 93 or better.   That's the course rating, 67.5, plus your on-course handicap, 26.  I see four of those differentials below 24.5, and one really close, so you seem to be statistically about normal there.  When you get more than about 1/4 of your scores below that, your handicap will be dropping.

Based on what I see, you shouldn't worry about being called a sandbagger.  Just go out and play, play with different people, play by the rules as much as you can, and post all your scores.  You'll get a well-deserved reputation as an honest player that way.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Your concern about not being seen as a sandbagger is refreshing but don't worry too much about it. A 90 on your home course may seem like a good round but as was mentioned by Jeremie Boop you have to take into account the rating and slope of the course in question. For example: you had a round of 102 on your home course (67.5/120) that resulted in a differential of 32.5 and a round of 110 on a tougher course (71.3/136) that resulted in a differential of 32.2 meaning that you played better shooting 110 than you did 102 according to the USGA rating/slope calculations. Frankly, a 90 on your home course would hardly get people talking about sand bagging. Remember too that handicap is best 10 of your last 20 and it takes a while for higher scores to roll off the list. Good luck on your improvement plan and don't worry too much about handicaps. In fact enjoy winning while you whittle down that handicap, putting in the effort to play better has it's rewards.

Regards,

Big Wave

Golf is the only sport in which a thorough knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship - Patrick Campbell.

Thanks Dave. You have alleviated my concern and I feel more in line. I was less concerned with my overall score and mostly worried that since I can go out and shoot +1 through 4 or so holes, than proceed to put two in the woods people might think it was intentional. My tournament this weekend is a scramble tournament so shouldn't be any worries with that one!

I was surprised a few weeks ago I got paired at a new course with 3 other guys, and I told them up front "i'm a 25" the guy said he was a 17, and when he addressed the ball on the first tee I was wary of that. His face was so closed it looked to be pointed at the ground, he proceed to hook it into the woods. Then took many liberties with improving lies, or dropping when ball was lost but not counting the score. At the end of the round I asked if they had a computer to input score for handicap, and he looked at my blankly. Wonder how he came up with that 17!

If you submit accurate scores, it will show up in tournaments.   You will win some, and lose some and no one should think you are sandbagging.    Don't worry about it and enjoy.

( About 3 - 4 months back, I was rapidly improving and my HI didn't catch up.   I entered a tournament thinking I will finish very high.   Well, I had my worst round that day and made myself look like a vanity handicapper.   I hope I didn't jinx you.   I am just saying that casual round vs tournament can be different, especially, if you don't have whole lot of experience playing in tourneys.   Good luck & best wishes. )

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Thanks Rick. Ya I'm definitely glad this first tournament is a 4 person scramble. I also was able to play with the team I got put with (I joined as a solo looking for a team) last weekend when I had my best round, so I feel comfortable around them. I always get a little jittery when I play with people for the first time.

The real test will be Aug 9th where I signed up for an individual Net tournament. The course is a bit harder, 127 and I won't have ever played there before, which will make things difficult. The typical greens fees are $145 for non-members, so needless to say, I will not be playing a practice round, Ha.

I really wouldn't worry about it. At our level, we can go out and have a round where everything seems to click, then suddenly on two holes you're wondering where your swing went.

I played in a match tournament last year against a woman who had to spot me 17 strokes. lol. She was wondering why she bothered to show up. Well, she shot 7 strokes under her handicap, and I shot 9 strokes under mine. The following week I was matched against a woman giving no strokes, and both of us were struggling. And last fall in another tournament, I was in a foursome with our club champion and was able to keep the ball on the fairway with my driver through most of the round for some stupid reason. I was playing her shot lines. I've found that when I play with better golfers I play a lot better than when I play with golfers of my own level or worse.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I can definitely relate regarding playing with better golfers. My dad really really struggles to hit the ball consistently. Espeically towards the end of the round he ends up topping a lot of balls or just hitting low burners, and gets frustrated. I tend to play really poorly when I play with him. I think its a mixture of rhythm, having to wait for him to hit multiple shots before hitting one, and also his frustration. His favorite thing to say is "you always tell me these stories about how well you play, but whenever we play together I don't see it".  Funny how that works.

@GolferDan88

"Improving Quicker than Handicap Reflects" happens with many beginners and young golfers as the improve.

"Father Time" will reflect progress as he sees fit and is usually determined by the practice and learning of the game.

It doesn't come easy for most, but sometimes one with natural abilities and athletic skills, it is a quicker progression.

Improve the skills with practice and knowledge and you will be on a journey to enjoy the great things the game of golf offers.

Club Rat

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Note: This thread is 3213 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!