IGNORED

Tired of People Hating on the 3-iron

iacas
Note: This thread is 5776 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you carry a 3-iron? What's your handicap index?

• Yes; Single Digits
    • No; Single Digits
    • Yes; 10-18
    • No; 10-18
    • Yes; 19+
    • No; 19+

• Administrator
[rant]You know, I'm getting tired of people hating on the 3-iron. I've got a hybrid in the bag - it fills my 2-iron/5-wood distance gap - so I'm not some neanderthal who is opposed to hybrids because I think they're emasculating or something. But dammit, I'm keeping my 3-iron for awhile, and my 4-iron is staying in the bag, too!

I realize that I'm probably in the top 5% of golfers in the world, but man alive, I wish people would take their "the longest iron in your bag should be a 5-iron" crap down two or three notches. It's not like it's all hacks saying it - it's low handicappers too. Good gosh, drop it - I'll use what I want!

I like my 3-iron. I can hit it from the tee, from the fairway, and from the rough. I've even hit 3-iron out of a fairway bunker rather well.

Ugh.[/rant]

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love my 3-iron both off the deck and off the tee. It's a go to club when my hybrid isn't behaving itself off the tee. My next set as I improve will 100% contain a 3-iron.
In my bag

Superstrong 12*
- Firepower Hyper Ti 15*
- Launcher 18* Hybrid - 21* Hybrid - S2 Max 5i - SW - MP T-Series 47* - 60* LW - White Hot XG #1

I finally did ditch my 3I for a Halo 3I, but I keep my 4. I use three wedges, so I don't have the room for a 3I and a hybrid (and hybrids are just too darn useful). So, I go Driver, 3W, Hybrid, 4I, and on down. I agree with you overall, though - too many people just laud the "forgiving" club instead of honing their swing. I finally gave in with ditching my 3I but I'll be damned if I'll start tossing my 4 and 5 as well....

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

I tossed my 3 iron a couple of years ago for a hybrid and for still think it's the right choice for me. I agree with you though Erik, golf is not a one idea fits all types of game so if some people want a five iron for their lowest iron in the bag that's fine-just don't try to tell all golfers that they have to set their bags up this way.

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

I carry a 3-Iron and love it. I don't have a hybrid, but not because I'm opposed to them, I just don't have the dosh to get one!

Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

I look forward to carrying a 3-Iron someday. The set I bought when I started was 4-PW with choice of 3I or SW; I went with SW. If I were to buy a set today and have the same choice, I'd choose a 3I.

In fact, I might even be inclined to have my irons be 3Iron, 5Iron on down, with a hybrid in between. Once I get a 3Iron - next set or the one after, depending (the Cobra set I'm considering doesn't have a 3I, I think), I'll play around.

The longest iron in the bag should be the one you can hit well. If that's a 1-Iron, carry a 1-Iron. If you can't hit your 7-Iron, but can hit a 7-hybrid, carry a 7-hybrid. There's a reason we're allowed to choose our own club configuration.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I switch back and forth depending on which course Im playing.. love using both wish I could carry both..

Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5° TP Stiff
Fairway: Taylor Made V-Steel #3 w/Fujikura Rombax Stiff
Irons: Taylor Made rac LT 4-PW shaft; Rifle Flighted 6.0
Wedges: Tayor Made rac 52° 56° 60°Utility: Taylor Made Rescue TP #3 (Aldila NV Hybid 85g Stiff)Putter: Scotty...

I can't lie... there is no better club to get a ball out of the water with than my 3 iron! I mean the balls in there and it's the perfect length!

Seriously, I have a love hate relationship with the club and if/when I hit it the balls just takes off amazingly well. I'm just not consistent enough to play it alot, so I'll keep using it to punch out of the woods and get balls out of the water.

SiD

WITB
What's in SiD's bag

Ogio Stand Bag
Driver
910D3 9.5 set to 8.5
907D2 9.5 VS Proto Stif

f3WoodCleveland XLS 15* Stiff

Irons TaylorMade Tour Preferred 4-9

Wedges Gun'd 48* & Vokey 58

Putter 34" XG #7

i bought my mp32 irons with a 4-pw configuration. i had intended on using my adams a2 hybrid for the 3 iron. i hit the adams a2 hybrid way longer than my old 3 iron so i had to bring the rac lt 3 iron back. i love that club.

by the way. because of my temperment, the hybrid is currently in two pieces.

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

I dont have a 3 iron cause I have this 7 wood wich I hit it prety well. The distance I hit with my 3 iron and my 7 wood is partialy the same so I dont need the 3 iron for now. I also dont have hibrids because I like a lot hiting woods and I have never get acostume to the look of the hibrids

What is in my Ping bag:
Driver: R7 425 9.5*Fujikura Vistapro 70 stff
3Wood: An old 15* Graphite Stiff.
5Wood: R7 ST 18* Mid point RE-AX 70 Stff
7Wood: Tight lies 21* Graphite StffIrons: An old set of EYE2+ 4-PW Steel StiffWedge: vokey SM 54*10 and 60*08Putter: Studio Style Newport 1.5Balls...

Gonna go the other way here... Hate it. Inconsistent, low trajectory, impossible for me to hold a green with it, if I'm even remotely close to hitting it. Funny though, because I don't have an issue with a 4 iron, as a matter of fact, i hit one of the best shots of the season this lst weekend with it. My 3i hybrid is awesome though, nice & high, and easy to swing.

Although I would never consider telling someone what they should or shouldn't have in bag.
In My Bag:

Taylormade: Superquad 9.5 Aldila VS Proto 'By You' 70-S
Sonartec: SS-07 14.0 Aldila NV 85-S
Cleveland: Halo, 3i UST Irod 83-SPing: i-10 4-UW AWT-STitleist: Vokey Design Spin Milled 54.10 & 60.08Slighter: Handstamped Tacoma, 350G in Black Satin w/Sound Slot

yeah i like my 3i and i use even though my swing needs work. the BS about the 3i is way too much. it a very useful club

Driver: 10.5* SuperQuad TP 1st Edition All Black V2 Stiff
5 Wood - 585.h 19* DG S300
Irons: 3-PW S59 Stiff
Wedges: Rac TP 52*, 60* MP-T 56*
Putter(s): Anser 3 TP Black ballGET TO SINGLE DIGITS!Goal: Beat a certain admin that lives in my town

You cant tell me that a 3 iron is easier to hit then a 3 hybrid. Its all personal preference but the 3 hybrid is easier to hit, hands down.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

Note: This thread is 5776 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!