IGNORED

3 Club Events: Club Choices (is it possible to 'flop' with a pitching wedge?)

Note: This thread is 3211 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello! Looking for a little advice.

I have a three club society event in August. Looking at the course, I believe a 7 Wood, Pitching Wedge and Putter are my best combination.

But here's the question; If I run in to trouble, and need to 'flop' the ball over a hazard, how might this be attempted with a pitching wedge?

I appreciate that a true flop is not possible, but what's the best I can hope for?

I've attempted opening the face as much as possible, which gives me some extra height, but I'm also 'blading' the ball much more often when I do this.

Any ideas how I can set-up and play the PW so it 'feels' a little more like a SW/LW?

I'm playing PING G25 and my PW is 45 degrees. I have the matching 'Utility Wedge' (i.e. a 50 degree Gap Wedge) but I can only get 100-110 yards out of it, whereas I can get my PW to travel 120-130. The Utility Wedge is easier to chip with, but I'd miss the distance of the PW.

Thanks for any advice!

°

Swap the 7 wood for a 3iron and you can putt with the 3 iron. That way you can have your LW and have the third slot open for an 8iron or something similar.

• Upvote 1

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've played in way too many of these over the years. I suggest 4 iron, 8 iron, putter. I was surprised how many other people chose the same clubs. Good luck and have fun!

Steve

We have a similar event. It is common for us to carry a driving iron (I prefer the 3i also) in the bag. I use it to tee with, run short pitches/chips up to the green and also putt with it. I like a 7 or a 6. And my AW or 60* depending on the days conditions. Wet sand, etc. good luck and have fun.

Agree with the posters above that you should not waste one of those precious club choices on a putter.  You need clubs that can perform multiple functions.

I think I'd probably go 3W - 8 iron - SW (54 degree)

The only type of shot that would cause me trouble here is if it was something like a 180-200 yard par 3 over water without any bailout.  Otherwise, I'm good to go.

And any one of those could be used as a putter as well.

EDIT:  Just realized this wasn't really what you were asking.  (I still think this problem is better solved by dumping PW and putter for 8 iron and SW, but regardless ...

there isn't really any reason why you shouldn't be able to pitch with a PW just like you do with a SW.  Maybe not a true "flop" shot, but that's to be expected when you're giving up 13-15 degrees of loft.  Open the face and just practice pitch shots - a G25 should have plenty of sole to keep you gliding along the turf.

I agree with others. No putter.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I play in these type of tournaments  quite a bit. My favorite golf tourney.  I use a 5w,  7i or 8i, (sometimes 6i) and my Aw. I putt with my 5w, while choking down on it. I also use it off the tee, and some fairway shots.The mid irons I use just for anything else. No reason to use one, or the other. I just make a snap decision, and go for it. The Aw I use for bunker shots, chips, and pitches.

As a matter of fact, I am playing in a 3 club tourney this weekend.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Thanks for all the advice. Alas, without a putter I am no Robert Streb (or Chuck Norris!): http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2015/07/robert-streb-gets-fantastic-wedge-stamp.html I'd prefer to keep the putter as I find holing out tough enough as is, but if I do trade it out for a 8 iron and loft wedge, which should I put with? (I'll also have the Callaway X2 Hot 21 Degree 7 Wood, which is non-negotiable - as its my favourite club for so many situations) I'll be a strange sight this weekend at the club, on the putting green without a putter! If I can't make it work I'll have to go back to attempting higher lofted shots with the PW (would still love some more advice on that)

I like the advice as to having a SW in your hands for around and on the greens. Look, you are going to be around the greens, in trouble, and in the rough around the greens in these type of tourneys - that SW will go a long way around and as a putter. Then, I'd probably go 8i and a long wood for distance, either 3 or 5 wood, depending on the course, and how you hit a 3 wd. The 5 gets you a lot more air.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Just reporting findings. I putted fine with the 7 Wood so will most likely be using this in combination with the 7 Iron and Loft Wedge. I never would have thought of swapping the putter out, so thanks all.

Note: This thread is 3211 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!