IGNORED

Rushing Because of Faster Players Behind

CR McDivot
Note: This thread is 3159 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm the type to feel rushed if I'm playing with slow friends.. I try to get the to rush and say stuff like "their gaining on us" and hinting hey maybe we should let them through..

One time my boss and I were playing and there were 3 playing behind us each in their own cart too.. So, we finish up putting on the green and look back to see two of the guys still on the previous green and one of the guys standing on the tee box waiting to tee off.. I look at my box with this wtf is wrong with this guy? His playing partners haven't even finished putting out, and he is teeing off as if we are holding him back or something.. The funny thing is that he stood there after he tee'd off and just waited for his buddies.. They never ended up catching us since we were playing as two, but I never understood why someone would want to do what he did..

As long as we are keeping up, and the guys behind us aren't pulling out any tricks I try not to feel rushed anymore, we will see how it goes this season as playing on the weekends is like death with 4 hour rounds. Just last Friday we played a slow 2.5 hour front nine, and it was mostly waiting on the group ahead of us, but the back was a smooth 1.45 hour after they sped up thankfully.. Otherwise the temp will go up into the 110-115 and who wants to be out there then?

My friend just told me about another wtf moment he had while playing with his uncle recently.  The starter decided to let my friend and his uncle tee off before a 5-some on hole one (even though the 5-some's tee time was before theirs).  This 5-some was extremely agitated at the starter's decision (and their agitation was likely increased by my friend and his uncle both putting a ball in the water on the first tee).  Anyways, my friend said that for the next 3 or 4 holes that this 5-some was not only playing even with them but coming close to pushing them.  My friend commented to his uncle how fast this group was playing behind them and his uncle replied, "Well, they aren't putting."  For the first 4 holes this group of 5 had been hitting their balls to the green and then picking up right away and rushing to the next hole.  By hole five the 5-some had decided to finally putt things out and my friend and his uncle pulled away like you would expect a 2-some to.

I think it is ridiculous that a group would forgo putting on a few holes just to try to push a group.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abu3baid

I'm the type to feel rushed if I'm playing with slow friends.. I try to get the to rush and say stuff like "their gaining on us" and hinting hey maybe we should let them through..

One time my boss and I were playing and there were 3 playing behind us each in their own cart too.. So, we finish up putting on the green and look back to see two of the guys still on the previous green and one of the guys standing on the tee box waiting to tee off.. I look at my box with this wtf is wrong with this guy? His playing partners haven't even finished putting out, and he is teeing off as if we are holding him back or something.. The funny thing is that he stood there after he tee'd off and just waited for his buddies.. They never ended up catching us since we were playing as two, but I never understood why someone would want to do what he did..

As long as we are keeping up, and the guys behind us aren't pulling out any tricks I try not to feel rushed anymore, we will see how it goes this season as playing on the weekends is like death with 4 hour rounds. Just last Friday we played a slow 2.5 hour front nine, and it was mostly waiting on the group ahead of us, but the back was a smooth 1.45 hour after they sped up thankfully.. Otherwise the temp will go up into the 110-115 and who wants to be out there then?

My friend just told me about another wtf moment he had while playing with his uncle recently.  The starter decided to let my friend and his uncle tee off before a 5-some on hole one (even though the 5-some's tee time was before theirs).  This 5-some was extremely agitated at the starter's decision (and their agitation was likely increased by my friend and his uncle both putting a ball in the water on the first tee).  Anyways, my friend said that for the next 3 or 4 holes that this 5-some was not only playing even with them but coming close to pushing them.  My friend commented to his uncle how fast this group was playing behind them and his uncle replied, "Well, they aren't putting."  For the first 4 holes this group of 5 had been hitting their balls to the green and then picking up right away and rushing to the next hole.  By hole five the 5-some had decided to finally putt things out and my friend and his uncle pulled away like you would expect a 2-some to.

I think it is ridiculous that a group would forgo putting on a few holes just to try to push a group.

Ridiculous? No, hilarious! :-D

I've seen people do that just to stay ahead too.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ridiculous? No, hilarious!

I can understand doing it to try to stay ahead of groups or stay on pace of play.  But doing it to try to push a group is a bit silly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Ridiculous? No, hilarious!

I can understand doing it to try to stay ahead of groups or stay on pace of play.  But doing it to try to push a group is a bit silly.

True, but, actually, I stated what I intended to, wrong.

I've seen people rush to stay ahead of other people by not putting out. If they just played to their pace and let people pass them up they would have more time as there were generally no groups behind the people who caught up.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

The former is reasonable and courteous. The latter is farcical & humorous. What's the point of playing that fast if you can't score at the same time. If you pride yourself of pace of play, you're only proving yourself a poorer golfer than the group / player you are trying to 'push'. Or you're a borderline sociopath who does stuff like that for s$^ts and giggles and you didn't pay the greens fee to play golf.

Kevin

Re-read the quote and the post. I was responding to Buckeye's post that made the assumption or inference and that being hit into was 'inevitable' and that pace of play was relevant to that happening. I don't think there is an acceptable 'excuse' for hitting into a group intentionally & out of frustration . I doubt he was condoning it, but I objected to Buckeye's even seeming to tacitly accept this kind of response in what he wrote. There has been no confirmation of the intent of the offending group in the OP scenario. The apology is noteworthy, but it could have been insincere, particularly likely in a going for the green situation and the player / group on the green is clearly visible or clearly hasn't left the green area, unless it was a botched layup short of the green. As far as making things 'worse for himself' by worrying earlier than need be, are you saying that maybe he should have played slow to allow them to hit into him sooner or at a more critical / 'orchestrated' time in his round? That's an interesting perspective.

I'm saying that the dude didn't have to get his panties in a wad so quickly. He noticed this other group when they were several holes behind him. At that moment they got in his head. That's when he lost it. I'm giving the twosome the benefit of the doubt. I've hit into another group entirely by accident. I think the vast majority of the time is done by accident

Colin P.

Well I'd like to just add before I head out for daily practice that yesterday afternoon four of us caught two players prior to the turn. Trailed them for several holes with open holes in front of them. We were striking nicely and moving quickly with a few birdies and long drives to qualify this, yet they wouldn't let us pass on 10. One hit in the trees, one hit then played his ball into the cup in a separate cart while the other still looked for his ball for at least 5 minutes. I chose to drive to the green and inform the one that we were passing. No problem, so it worked out. We played that hole after 18. It took a few holes to see the next group and get in position. Now some of the shorter holes were drivable for two in our foursome. We never teed until they cleared or the holes was @350 or longer. But, darn if the 18th, a slightly blind draw around a tree for a righty young one who purred one onto the green while they were putting. 347. No one would have though he would be 16 ft pin high. The foursome on the green look back around the tree and gave the thumps up. I've witnessed it twice now there and probably should have had him wait. There was no apparent friction with the action only the action of the "self appointed speed monitors" we had earlier pass and catch up.

yet they wouldn't let us pass on 10.

You mean after you asked them if you could play through or they just didn't invite you to play through?

Kevin

You mean after you asked them if you could play through or they just didn't invite you to play through?

Good question. They never invited us. After they (he) never came out of the woods, I drove to the gentleman on the green putting out and asked him. Then waived the other cart up and through also who was hold tee position. Still never saw the guy come out.

You obviously had many chances to wave them through or else they wouldn't have hit into you out of frustration on the 18th hole.   Why not be pro-active to avoid the inevitable?  My 2 cents...

But but but everybody swears that couldn't possibly be what happened and nobody's evaluation of what "actually" happened in any way considers that they hit into him out of frustration or anger. Nope, that wouldn't happen. That would be wrong....

Last night I played 36 holes of golf. First 18 I caught and was let through by a 4 some by the 3rd tee. No problem other than I rushed and screwed up as usual in these instances. By the 16th hole I caught up to more people, however there was no room to play through this time so I waited, which screwed me up because of the change in pace of play. Nobody's fault but my own there so I wasn't angry. Second time through the course was wide open through the first 9, but by the 13th hole I was again waiting. There was a single in front of me that I thought was just playing multiple balls per hole, which did annoy me a bit. However, after teeing off on 14 I saw that he had been waiting on a 4 some in front of him. I should have taken the hint when I saw him drive off the course after waiting on the 15th tee for a little bit, but I figured he just had somewhere to go. Unfortunately the reality was the 4 some was extremely slow and they weren't letting him through. This time there was no reason not to because the course was open in front of them. They did the typical hurry up and drive off and ignore the person behind them tactic. No real chance to even ask to play through. In all actuality I should have just either skipped ahead or left but I'm trying to learn to play slow in the event that I start playing in tournaments. The end result, however, was a ridiculously bad back 9. I'll never understand the mentality of not letting someone play through when there's room.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

You obviously had many chances to wave them through or else they wouldn't have hit into you out of frustration on the 18th hole.   Why not be pro-active to avoid the inevitable?  My 2 cents...

But but but everybody swears that couldn't possibly be what happened and nobody's evaluation of what "actually" happened in any way considers that they hit into him out of frustration or anger. Nope, that wouldn't happen. That would be wrong....

No one that could hit into an 18 HC that I know would. I have not met any single digit or low teen players that are mean spirited enough to do such a thing. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

But, darn if the 18th, a slightly blind draw around a tree for a righty young one who purred one onto the green while they were putting. 347. No one would have though he would be 16 ft pin high. The foursome on the green look back around the tree and gave the thumps up.

At that point most people don't mind (as much at least) that you hit into them because of two things:

1) The ball only rolled up onto the green rather than landing there and creating a dangerous situation

2) They looked back and saw where you hit the ball from, realizing that it was a shot that probably came out much better than you anticipated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Yeah, people start early around here playing in the dark. At first I thought it was crazy, but now I'm "one of them".

Both public and munis. It's so the faster golfers have a chance to beat the crowds. It doesn't really generate more revenue. It probably costs the course a bit more but keeps more of the "regulars" happy.

How would it not generate revenue?

It also generates expenses for having some of the staff there earlier.  Maybe Lihu meant it doesn't generate more profit?

Since you were finishing up while members of the group behind were finishing the prior hole they were close to a hole behind you.  Maybe they were being pushed by the grup behind them and the guy on the tee was trying to speed his playing companions up?  That is all that really occurs to me as explaining it in a rational way.

As far as making things 'worse for himself' by worrying earlier than need be, are you saying that maybe he should have played slow to allow them to hit into him sooner or at a more critical / 'orchestrated' time in his round? That's an interesting perspective.

No, he should have played his game and let them pass when they caught him.  And STOP looking 3 or 4 holes behind to see if the group as catching up.  It s easy enough to tell when the group is right there within a hole of you without buying trouble by stressing about something 3 holes back.

Again it is very hard to know what really happened because the OP's story doesn't hold together factually.  And looks more like a contrived rant about "Speed Golf" than any real situation that actually occurred as described.  The original thread title kind of gave the game away, IMO.

• Upvote 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

At that point most people don't mind (as much at least) that you hit into them because of two things: 1) The ball only rolled up onto the green rather than landing there and creating a dangerous situation 2) They looked back and saw where you hit the ball from, realizing that it was a shot that probably came out much better than you anticipated.

OT but good observation and comments. The box(es) is positioned in line with the tall tree half way to the green that generally forces the tee shot left for best approach. He just caught it right, got past it, and rolled upon the green. Good sports that didn't mess with the ball. Would have been interesting if they would have dropped it in the hole!

OT but good observation and comments. The box(es) is positioned in line with the tall tree half way to the green that generally forces the tee shot left for best approach. He just caught it right, got past it, and rolled upon the green. Good sports that didn't mess with the ball. Would have been interesting if they would have dropped it in the hole!

This is why I didn't automatically assume/agree that the people in the OP's story did it on purpose. I think we've all had times where a shot we thought would be safe somehow went way passed expectation. That's not to say they couldn't have done it on purpose, but typically if someone does hit into others on purpose they aren't exactly sorry or friendly when confronted about it.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

No one that could hit into an 18 HC that I know would. I have not met any single digit or low teen players that are mean spirited enough to do such a thing. . .

I don't doubt you for a minute, but there is an undercurrent of "he had it coming" on this thread is all I am saying and all the OP is saying. Personally, when I am walking alone and I hear a couple of carts doing the NASCAR thing coming up behind me, I let them play through, it only takes a couple of minutes and there is no way I am going to outrun a twosome riding, especially when each has their own cart, as happened a couple of weeks ago, one of them had his girlfriend riding, while I am walking. But if they caught me on the 18th tee, I would not make the pointless gesture of letting them play through.

I don't doubt you for a minute, but there is an undercurrent of "he had it coming" on this thread is all I am saying and all the OP is saying. Personally, when I am walking alone and I hear a couple of carts doing the NASCAR thing coming up behind me, I let them play through, it only takes a couple of minutes and there is no way I am going to outrun a twosome riding, especially when each has their own cart, as happened a couple of weeks ago, one of them had his girlfriend riding, while I am walking. But if they caught me on the 18th tee, I would not make the pointless gesture of letting them play through.

Moppy why are you still engaging in this red herring argument? There is no "undercurrent" of people saying he had it coming.

Note: This thread is 3159 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!