IGNORED

Rushing Because of Faster Players Behind

CR McDivot
Note: This thread is 3159 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

To me a sign of impatience is taking practice swings next to their ball when I am on the green and the next group is on the next tee. I will still send the guy through, but he is disrupting a lot of people's game out of  selfishness.

[quote name="Moppy" url="/t/83251/rushing-because-of-faster-players-behind/342#post_1181135"]I will admit I always send them through whatever the first sign of impatience on their part because I don't want them sitting behind me making me feel rushed. Just because somebody is being rude doesn't require a rude response and I don't want to be the pace cop, but singles riding carts shouldn't be complaining about "slow threesomes walking." They should expect that they are going to run up against groups constantly if they are playing any kind of peak time of day, and accept it with grace. [/quote] I think I understand and fall into the single cart guy group coming up onto someone. Here is what I do 90% of the time to get my perspective and routine out, but that's just me. I tee once I think it's clear, then drive not speed to my ball since I know there are others somewhere heading towards the green or on the green by now. Then park, if not cart path only, right next to my ball as one poster mentioned already, and sit in the cart as they come up, putt out, play out of sand, etc. this does take time. As my picture posted yesterday showed one was in the right bunker so it really was a good spot to call the two of us up from only wedge distances in the fairway in from of them. But back to my single routine; i get out to loosen up and swing looking away as to not bother them most of the time but the problem is I've missed when they left or after a while their still doing something up there thinking I don't care. When they take extra putts or chips I get a little stiff and will park and get ready to hit next time otherwise I'm fairly patient. I think we are aligned here somewhat.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No, he didn't do that. He was talking directly to you about your perceived offense when someone is taking practice swings.

I take practice swings all the time. I don't care if you feel rushed because that's a problem with you, not a problem with my etiquette. I'm allowed to practice my swing whenever, and it doesn't mean I'm trying to get you to go any faster.

Whatever, I get it. The faster player has no need to show any courtesy to his fellow players on the golf course they are sharing. Full stop.

Whatever, I get it. The slower player has no need to show any courtesy to his fellow players on the golf course they are sharing. Full stop. The faster player isn't even allowed to practice before he hits his ball without taking flak for it from the slower player ahead.

• Upvote 2

Specifically there was no room to move in the hypothetical, and it was a single golfer riding on a course with a lot of groups out. But I see what you are saying, Common human courtesy is "molly coddling."

Honestly I see more people out there being overly courteous than anything. Some take the etiquette too far by allow more space than necessary between them and the groups around them. I am not gong to wait until someone clears the green before I start my routine and it's not an indication I think people on the green are slow. Frankly I don't care what they think about me and I'm not concerned it may be offensive to them because it's just how golf should be played to keep things moving. I am surprised anyone would feel differently.

• Upvote 1

Dave :-)

To me a sign of impatience is taking practice swings next to their ball when I am on the green and the next group is on the next tee. I will still send the guy through, but he is disrupting a lot of people's game out of  selfishness.

This makes no sense whatsoever? How does someone taking practice swings disrupt you on the green?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

No, he didn't do that. He was talking directly to you about your perceived offense when someone is taking practice swings.

I take practice swings all the time. I don't care if you feel rushed because that's a problem with you, not a problem with my etiquette. I'm allowed to practice my swing whenever, and it doesn't mean I'm trying to get you to go any faster.

Whatever, I get it. The slower player has no need to show any courtesy to his fellow players on the golf course they are sharing. Full stop. The faster player isn't even allowed to practice before he hits his ball without taking flak for it from the slower player ahead.

If you insist on being so hypersensitive to the tiniest infraction against your need to speed around the course. Don't wonder why people get sick of impatient players zipping through the course without regard for others.

This makes no sense whatsoever? How does someone taking practice swings disrupt you on the green?

It doesn't. I just says to me that the guy wants to get to playing. He is too impatient to wait for us to hole our putts to start his practice swings. I didn't say it disrupts me. I say when I see it, I figure he is one of these guys who has no patience or the grace to share something like a golf course with others and the sooner he is out of my sight, the better. So let him though and bother the group that is teeing off.

Maybe you guys should look up "impatient" in the dictionary.

I wouldn't play that course if they paid me.

I am genuinely curious as to why you say this?

This course is difficult and beautiful. People don't go there hoping to squeeze in a 3-hour round, they expect 4.5 hours, and that is an honest pace for a foursome on the course. My brother and I walked it last weekend, we were only a twosome and we had the first tee time of the day. It took us the full 4.5 hours to play and we didn't waste time, but we didn't rush either. I have played this course many times and never once have I felt rushed, but I have also never felt slowed by another group. 15 minutes per hole on average.

- Mark

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

It doesn't. I just says to me that the guy wants to get to playing. He is too impatient to wait for us to hole our putts to start his practice swings. I didn't say it disrupts me. I say when I see it, I figure he is one of these guys who has no patience or the grace to share something like a golf course with others and the sooner he is out of my sight, the better. So let him though and bother the group that is teeing off.

Not sure I see it the same way. I see it as someone loosening up for his swing so when he can go he'll be ready to speed up the pace of play for others behind him.

If I was behind someone who waited until the green cleared before taking his practice swings, I would think "What????"

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

And if you are watching the people behind you instead of getting your ball in the hole it's dilly-dallying.

Honestly I see more people out there being overly courteous than anything. Some take the etiquette too far by allow more space than necessary between them and the groups around them. I am not gong to wait until someone clears the green before I start my routine and it's not an indication I think people on the green are slow. Frankly I don't care what they think about me and I'm not concerned it may be offensive to them because it's just how golf should be played to keep things moving. I am surprised anyone would feel differently.

I lean now more to taking etiquette too far I suppose. This is a result of my inability to deal repeatedly with the stares back and several verbal confrontations I've had. Better safe than sorry, with my better controlled temper now is to sit back and wait for the high spot on the track and zip past them on the turn, so to speak.

Moppy you have now become unbearable. You are oblivious to anyone but yourself. People are allowed to take practice swings. You are being ridiculous and extremely selfish as well as authoritarian believing everyone has to abide by your standards or they are rude. I'm not just going to sit down until you putt out and I am one of the most patient golfers you will ever meet.
  • Upvote 1

I lean now more to taking etiquette too far I suppose. This is a result of my inability to deal repeatedly with the stares back and several verbal confrontations I've had. Better safe than sorry, with my better controlled temper now is to sit back and wait for the high spot on the track and zip past them on the turn, so to speak.

Sure no reason to have a confrontation on the course. But no reason playing quickly when the course spacing allows it that confrontation should happen.

So much of how I play any hole depends on the quality of the shots getting to the green. Some I see out there manage their time via routine. Always waiting for greens to clear when it's not necessary. Not getting to their ball and preparing for the next shot etc. simply because they believe there are hard fast rules for how much space needs to be between them and the group ahead.

I may hit two really good shots on a long par 5 and my ball may end up 60-80 yards from the green and just because I am next to it waiting for the green to clear doesn't mean I am putting the heat on the group ahead. There are times I have to do that to stay behind the group ahead because the group behind right behind me. Or I may duff a drive on a par 4 and may not have a shot to salvage hitting the green or even getting close to it so I will advance the ball as far as I can. No reason not to. At some point I have to do what I can to keep moving forward or all I am doing is waiting.

Sure no reason to have a confrontation on the course. But no reason playing quickly when the course spacing allows it that confrontation should happen. So much of how I play any hole depends on the quality of the shots getting to the green. Some I see out there manage their time via routine. Always waiting for greens to clear when it's not necessary. Not getting to their ball and preparing for the next shot etc. simply because they believe there are hard fast rules for how much space needs to be between them and the group ahead. I may hit two really good shots on a long par 5 and my ball may end up 60-80 yards from the green and just because I am next to it waiting for the green to clear doesn't mean I am putting the heat on the group ahead. There are times I have to do that to stay behind the group ahead because the group behind right behind me. Or I may duff a drive on a par 4 and may not have a shot to salvage hitting the green or even getting close to it so I will advance the ball as far as I can. No reason not to. At some point I have to do what I can to keep moving forward or all I am doing is waiting.

Agreed. I have a gripe with not just looking for one ball along the way, then that turns into two, three, four, out of the pond or trees. Once in a while I think the bear may have gotten the golfer. This is part of the game but from my club it generally trends to just a few individuals. I wonder how many posters here carry ball retrievers (deliberate players or faster tempo players)? Be an interesting poll.

Sure no reason to have a confrontation on the course. But no reason playing quickly when the course spacing allows it that confrontation should happen.

So much of how I play any hole depends on the quality of the shots getting to the green. Some I see out there manage their time via routine. Always waiting for greens to clear when it's not necessary. Not getting to their ball and preparing for the next shot etc. simply because they believe there are hard fast rules for how much space needs to be between them and the group ahead.

I may hit two really good shots on a long par 5 and my ball may end up 60-80 yards from the green and just because I am next to it waiting for the green to clear doesn't mean I am putting the heat on the group ahead. There are times I have to do that to stay behind the group ahead because the group behind right behind me. Or I may duff a drive on a par 4 and may not have a shot to salvage hitting the green or even getting close to it so I will advance the ball as far as I can. No reason not to. At some point I have to do what I can to keep moving forward or all I am doing is waiting.

This is were I struggle the most when trying to keep up with a group in front of me.  I always wait until the group is a ways out (in most cases too far) and it's based on previous experience.  While I know what my averages are, I have had enough experiences of hitting that extra 20-30 yards on a shot to stop me from pulling the trigger on some situations.  One particular case I was 240 out after hitting a pretty sub par drive.  There was a group of 3 on the green and a group behind us on the tee.  I decided to hit a 4-iron and seeing how far away I was I had no worries about hitting into them. Well, sure enough I struck an amazing shot that laded 10 yards short of the green and rolled right up to them.  I apologized on the next tee and they let me play through, but it was definitely a situation I would like to avoid if possible.  The problem is when I wait to hit a shot when I am in that 200-240 out range out and I end up coming well short of the green or hit a terrible shot and thus I wasted all that time.

Agreed. I have a gripe with not just looking for one ball along the way, then that turns into two, three, four, out of the pond or trees. Once in a while I think the bear may have gotten the golfer. This is part of the game but from my club it generally trends to just a few individuals. I wonder how many posters here carry ball retrievers (deliberate players or faster tempo players)? Be an interesting poll.

Biggest time wasters IMO are par 5's, par 3's and perceived drivable par 4's. Though long par 4's can be a time drain too. The overly considerate golfer is constantly directly in front of the group behind instead of directly behind the group ahead on these hole in an attempt to give the groups ahead more space than they need.

Moppy you have now become unbearable. You are oblivious to anyone but yourself. People are allowed to take practice swings. You are being ridiculous and extremely selfish as well as authoritarian believing everyone has to abide by your standards or they are rude.

I'm not just going to sit down until you putt out and I am one of the most patient golfers you will ever meet.

LOL. ROTFLMAO

I never ever ever said nobody was allowed to take practice swings, I said that when I am on the green, and a group is on the next tee, and a single driving has caught up to me and starts taking practice  swings because he is impatient, you know, eager to play, like the definition says, I figure I should let him play though and get him out of my sight ASAP, I am sure he will be zipped off the next tee before I get there, bumping up against the next group, cursing that every group on the course cannot play at the pace of a single riding and grumbling about slow play because some people like to walk when they play golf.

LOL. ROTFLMAO I never ever ever said nobody was allowed to take practice swings, I said that when I am on the green, and a group is on the next tee, and a single driving has caught up to me and starts taking practice  swings because he is impatien t, you know, eager to play, like the definition says, I figure I should let him play though and get him out of my sight ASAP, I am sure he will be zipped off the next tee before I get there, bumping up against the next group, cursing that every group on the course cannot play at the pace of a single riding and grumbling about slow play because some people like to walk when they play golf.

I just bolded a sentence that disproves your claim.

I just bolded a sentence that disproves your claim.

OK, why don't you print it out and paste it to the fridge for mommy to read. Maybe she will give you a pat on the head, but what you bolded doesn't prove anything.

Note: This thread is 3159 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!