IGNORED

DT Solos vs. NXT Tours

Note: This thread is 3146 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I played the NXT Tour for years and switched to the Gamer - better ball at 1/2 the price with a choice of regular, tour (urethane), and soft.   I now play the Softfli because of the distance but the Gamer Soft is IMO the best all around of the surlyn/ionomer low compression balls.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just found my favorite balls yet. This guy at Pro Golf Discount said that for my club speed this certain Taylor Made tour ball would be awesome and I was skeptical. He said trust me, you will love these. Awesome balls! Expensive as hell but very awesome.

I just found my favorite balls yet. This guy at Pro Golf Discount said that for my club speed this certain Taylor Made tour ball would be awesome and I was skeptical. He said trust me, you will love these. Awesome balls! Expensive as hell but very awesome.

Ok. Keep us posted! Used the DT Solo today with friends. My cart buddy who had a big slice hit his in the water on a driver carry. I let him hit one of mine again and it carried the water plenty and only moved about 10 yards vs his 30 yards left dunk. Told him it was the design. But he really needs to fix his swing. He sliced most of the day.

Yeah I like Titleist balls a lot. If you ever get the chance though you have to try these balls. I never even considered them but the dude convinced me and damn they are nice. Perfect feel and solid distance. I got my pitching wedge to check up nicely on fast greens also with them today.

The NXT tours perform great for me. The Bridgestone e5, and e6 are great alternatives. Recently, I tried the Top Flite Gamer tours. That is my ball until something better shows up. They were on sale $30 for 2 dozen. Jack
  • Upvote 1

Jack

I'd play an NXT Tour over a DT Solo, any day. As a matter of fact, I pay for NXT Tour balls, and toss free DT Solo balls back for the next guy to find. The NXT Tour is superior

• 5 weeks later...

Just curious, not to be argumentative, but once you play a single hole with a new ball is it not then used? Are we all not playing used balls all the time, even if we bought them new?

- adam -

Routine: work, eat, golf, sleep, repeat

Clubs: (All Used TaylorMade) Burner Superfast Driver, JetSpeed 3&5 FW, Rescue Hybrid, Burner 2.0 Irons 5-AW, ATV Wedge 56*, White Ghost blade putter

Of the surlyn Titleist's I prefer the Velocity. Performs better than the NXT feels better than the SoLo.

How does it perform better than a ball that is supposed to perform better in the same brand? Are you talking just distance?

Is there enough difference in these balls to justify the cost for a 14ish handicap in your opinion?

If you're asking my opinion, no.   I've been using the new ultra cheapo Nike Mojo vivid green balls lately - they're just fine by me.    Played 9 after work, shot 39 tonight with them.  Shot 39 last week too.   I can't tell any difference in golf balls, aside from the sound - some are just clickier than others.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Just curious, not to be argumentative, but once you play a single hole with a new ball is it not then used? Are we all not playing used balls all the time, even if we bought them new?

Balls are affected by sitting in water. Over the last 10 years I've seen a couple tests conducted and each time the water ball performed less than the normal ball. The tests showed distance loss after just 30 days in the water. The problem is not knowing the balls history. My feeling is if you are a beginner and tend to lose several balls a round the water balls are reasonable to use. If you're more experienced and tend to not lose balls then it's probably poor value.

Balls are affected by sitting in water. Over the last 10 years I've seen a couple tests conducted and each time the water ball performed less than the normal ball. The tests showed distance loss after just 30 days in the water. The problem is not knowing the balls history. My feeling is if you are a beginner and tend to lose several balls a round the water balls are reasonable to use. If you're more experienced and tend to not lose balls then it's probably poor value.

Ahh... good to know, thanks!

- adam -

Routine: work, eat, golf, sleep, repeat

Clubs: (All Used TaylorMade) Burner Superfast Driver, JetSpeed 3&5 FW, Rescue Hybrid, Burner 2.0 Irons 5-AW, ATV Wedge 56*, White Ghost blade putter

• 2 weeks later...
Both are decent balls. Cant tell u if their worth it or not, thats up to u BUT i can tell u how theyre different. Distance is really close as usual, dt solo flies slightly higher and in my experience spins around the greens just slightly less than the nxt tour and tour s. I went with the solo cus i didnt see enough difference to justify the additional cost plus the dt is lower compression so felt softer which i prefer. Imho i prefer the nike pd soft or callaway supersoft these days to both titleists u mentioned. And not just cus theyre cheaper

Both are decent balls. Cant tell u if their worth it or not, thats up to u BUT i can tell u how theyre different. Distance is really close as usual, dt solo flies slightly higher and in my experience spins around the greens just slightly less than the nxt tour and tour s. I went with the solo cus i didnt see enough difference to justify the additional cost plus the dt is lower compression so felt softer which i prefer. Imho i prefer the nike pd soft or callaway supersoft these days to both titleists u mentioned. And not just cus theyre cheaper

I'm starting to find out that I'm just not used to the softer spin balls. I'm still using them and they do stick to the green well but chipping kills me with these balls. I'm much better when I chip some kind of cheap rock ball because then I know it will roll upon impact with the green. Sometimes the soft balls will check up and sometimes they will run. If I had a good chipping green near me I could figure out what in my swing is causing the difference between shot to shot but I don't.

Based on that comment id recommend the pinnacle gold. About a dollar a ball, long and straight, and its a firm ball without being a brick. You might give those a shot.

I'm starting to find out that I'm just not used to the softer spin balls. I'm still using them and they do stick to the green well but chipping kills me with these balls. I'm much better when I chip some kind of cheap rock ball because then I know it will roll upon impact with the green. Sometimes the soft balls will check up and sometimes they will run. If I had a good chipping green near me I could figure out what in my swing is causing the difference between shot to shot but I don't.

Maybe not necessarily use a cheap rock ball, but have you considered (or tried) any of the high launch low spin hard feeling balls?

I grew up playing 100 compression balls that felt very hard. I like the harder feel off the putter and around the green. Many times the lie determines how much spin gets applied with softer balls, but with harder balls it doesn't matter, you get a consistent run out that you can play for and you can manage the run with trajectory quite well. And harder balls, when struck reasonably, will still hold reasonably on full shots. Saying a hard ball runs out 30 feet on a short iron after it hits the green is a reflection on the quality of strike, not the ball itself. I play a pretty hard ball and I don't feel that my full shot game has been compromised at all.

It's not necessarily a swing problem causing spin or lack of spin with spinny soft balls.

Try playing a full round with a harder ball, I think you may be surprised at the quality of the experience.

Steve

Maybe not necessarily use a cheap rock ball, but have you considered (or tried) any of the high launch low spin hard feeling balls? I grew up playing 100 compression balls that felt very hard. I like the harder feel off the putter and around the green. Many times the lie determines how much spin gets applied with softer balls, but with harder balls it doesn't matter, you get a consistent run out that you can play for and you can manage the run with trajectory quite well. And harder balls, when struck reasonably, will still hold reasonably on full shots. Saying a hard ball runs out 30 feet on a short iron after it hits the green is a reflection on the quality of strike, not the ball itself. I play a pretty hard ball and I don't feel that my full shot game has been compromised at all. It's not necessarily a swing problem causing spin or lack of spin with spinny soft balls. Try playing a full round with a harder ball, I think you may be surprised at the quality of the experience.

It's funny you say that. I am no stranger to "cheap, hard balls." Before a few months ago, the "softest" ball I had ever consistently played was the NXT's. Growing up I always played Pinnacles and Top Flites. The funny thing about that is the best two rounds I've played this year were one with yellow NXT's and the other Pinnacle Gold. And during a craooy round where I was pretty upset at my suckiness I found a cheap top flite in the woods and played it for the back 9 and had a fantastic back 9 lol.

Note: This thread is 3146 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!