IGNORED

First time at the driving range

Note: This thread is 3192 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello all, just a quick question.  I decided to pick up some golf clubs from the flea market over the weekend.  I am preparing to go to a driving range tomorrow after I take a final test for class.  I've been putting this time off because of all the studies, so I really look forward to trying this new sport.  So the golf clubs look kind of old, but I have I believe a good set of wilson irons 3-9, 2 putters, and 3 drivers.  Everything is matching except the putter and one driver.  What I like is that it is an oversize set, and I am 6 foot 2 with large hands.  I feel like my golf clubs will look like I bought them from a flea market when I bring them to the driving range.  So, I am a little anxious because I am a newbie, and then I will not be like everyone else with their top of the line equipment.  I can go buy newer equipment, but I don't want to spend a fortune on a sport that I might not get into.  Should I be nervous lugging around used golf clubs.  I will go to the nearest public course to try the clubs out.

Don't worry at all about your clubs, you'll see all kinds there.  I definitely suggest you find a way to get some instruction pretty early on.  You might want to check at the driving range to see if they offer group lessons, that can be a reasonably inexpensive way to get some solid basics.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Funny, i also decided to pick up golf just 3 weeks ago. But my concern was how foolish i will look when i keep missing or shanking the ball. And yea, i do look and feel foolish when im at the range. Lol. But im getting over that. I dont think people care.
  • Upvote 1

I dont think people care.

That's the first thing to learn about golf, people care mostly about their own game.  Go enjoy yourself, learn to hit the ball some, learn to play at a reasonable pace when you get to the golf course, and you'll be just fine.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

99% of the time, the player playing couldn't care less about the players they get matched up with, as long as they aren't jerks or the person isn't making them anxious with slow play and people waiting on them.
  • Upvote 1

I really appreciate the replies everyone...tomorrow will be my first time at the driving range.  I will hit at least 5 out of 50 balls.  Also, once I get some down time from school I will find a group lesson for newbies to take advantage of.  I need something therapeutic at the moment...school has me stressed out.

Every one who ever took up golf was newby when they first started out. Anyone who started out playing good/great golf would be the exception to the rule. Everyone has hit, and will hit more than few embarrassing shots, regardless of their handicap. Heck, I topped a tee shot the other day, and couldn't carry the 100 yard water hazard in front of me. I have not topped a tee shot before that shot in more than 10 years.

My first set of clubs were from a swap meet. I bought a bag, a trolley, and clubs with Sam Snead's name on them. I paid $8 for the whole mess, which also included probably a half pound of rust. Went out and shot 90 something with them, while playing a 9 hole par 3 ....twice.

Just tell yourself you are not the worst player on the course, at that particular time, and just have fun. Anyone gives you a bad time, they are suffering from "CRSATFTTPG", and should be ignored.

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

...My first set of clubs were from a swap meet. I bought a bag, a trolley, and clubs with Sam Snead's name on them. I paid $8 for the whole mess, which also included probably a half pound of rust. Went out and shot 90 something with them, while playing a 9 hole par 3 ....twice.

Just tell yourself you are not the worst player on the course, at that particular time, and just have fun. Anyone gives you a bad time, they are suffering from "CRSATFTTPG", and should be ignored.

Sounds about like my first set!  I bought mine from a garage sale for $20 - old muscleback irons, persimmon woods and a few balata balls in the cheesiest brown 'imitation leather' (vinyl) cart bag you've ever seen.  The woods didn't match the irons, the putter didn't match either of them and all the grips were hard as rocks and worn out.  Nobody ever said a word to me about my clubs and I had a lot of fun going out and hacking it up with my friends.

@YellowSiR , don't even think twice about it.  I play with guys who buy new clubs every six months, and I play with guys who have played the same old, well-used sticks for many years.  Nobody cares what's in anybody else's bag - unless it's a shiny new "hot" club, then everybody wants to try it out and see if it really does magically add 10-15 yards to your shots like the manufacturers claim! :-D As Patch said, ignore anybody who gives you a hard time about your clubs - if you happen to run across that rare individual, they'll probably also judge you by what car you drove up in and "who" you're wearing....in other words, they're materialistic pricks and don't deserve consideration.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

As someone who is still a hack, I actually would feel more self-conscious with a brand new set of $2,000 clubs that I do with the old Dunlops I purchased off Craigslist.

Hopefully the first time wasn't too scarring as our guy hasn't posted since.

I doubt at the range you'll find many people that even bother to notice what clubs you have in your bag.

Joe Paradiso

I doubt at the range you'll find many people that even bother to notice what clubs you have in your bag.

No doubt.

The only people you really notice at the range are the ones that will shank em right at you. I know,  I used to be that guy.

IF you want people to take even LESS notice of you and your clubs, try to stick to the furthest right position (if righty) available. Being as your experience is nil- any shanks, misses, and wild ones will not be pinging around other users. Especially if there are no dividers.

Note: This thread is 3192 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!