IGNORED

getting back into golf, help knowing how to upgrade

Note: This thread is 3159 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey all.  This is my first post.  I'm a 31 year old husband and father of 3 living in Indianapolis.  I golfed a lot for a few years as a teenager, but only played sporadically until i was about 22.  I went about 3 years and played regularly and then got sporadic again for multiple reasons.  I've played a few times this summer and am loving playing again and hoping to get a lot more regular.  I've always taken to golf pretty well.  The only 2 times i've played on my own this summer i shot par (9 holes, easy course from the whites) & 81.

I feel good about how I played & know I have some things in my game i can work on, but every piece of equipment in my bag is either a set my dad made for me in 1998 or something that's been given to me.  My set & distances are below.  The distances are REALLY rough.  As I said, I've only played a few times this summer and haven't gotten a GREAT handle on that yet.

Driver: Taylor Made R580 9.5 loft (roughly 290)
3 wood: Big Bertha Steelhead 3+ (roughly 260)
5 wood: XPC Rough Rider 5+ 19 loft (roughly 240)
5 iron: Golfsmith Tour Cavity Professional Grind (roughly 200)
6 iron: same (roughly 185)
7 iron: same (roughly 165)
8 iron: same (roughly 150)
9 iron: same (roughly 135)
PW: same (roughly 115)
GW: K Fastback Tour (roughly 100)
LW: Golfsmith Tour Classic Professional Grind 60 loft (only chip, don't hit full)
P: Odyssey White Hot XG #9

I'd love some different thoughts on how I could improve my game on the equipment side.  I'm a pastor with 3 kids and a wife who doesn't work much...so to say I'm on a tight budget is an understatement.  What would be the first upgrades you'd suggest?  I think my GW is a 52, but i'm guessing that getting rid of it and going with  a new 52 and adding a 56 might be best?

any thoughts?

Wish I had your distance. It depends on your budget. You can get fitted and get the latest equipment if you have the money. If your on on a budget , look at stuff one or two years old or used on EBay. If you're not able to get fitted at least try to demo clubs before you make a purchase. Once you find what you like there are some good golf equipment sites look around for the best price. I went the one or two year old route and replaced everything accept my putter, LW and SW for around $500. Including a new bag. Have fun with your search.

DRIVER- Tour Edge EXS 220
3W- Adams Tight Lies 2
Hybrids- Cobra F8 19 *

Utility- Sub 70 699U #4
Irons - Sub 70 739 5-PW
Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54, 58
Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft #11

Ball- Titleist DT Trufeel

Since you want to budget the costs, I would suggest only purchasing a few items at a time and spread out the time between buying certain items. Consider researching equipment of your choice and establish a price and make purchases when you can afford the items.

One way is to try equipment during demo days, used equipment is available at many places.

Club Rat

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I troll the large golf stores for good used equipment. Get to hit it also. Many golfer change clubs out seasonally, like iPhones. Moneybags. Offer $30...pays less:-D

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Maybe get a 3 or 4 hybrid to cover that gap you have between your woods and irons.

Your distances are already very good so maybe the money you want to dedicate to this is better spent on lessons or more rounds of golf so you can hone your swing.

If you really want to get different clubs maybe look at a more modern driver from 2008-2013 (to keep costs down)

Note: This thread is 3159 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!