IGNORED

What do you think my chances are going pro

zackgolfreno
Note: This thread is 3178 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I won't say your chances are 0, but they are likely the very next number up from 0-->  0.000000000........1 (fill in the appropriate number of 0's).

This is a frequent thread topic here, and I once tried to summarize those other threads. That was a little while ago, and I think some more threads have arisen since and I likely missed some at the time! Here's the link:

http://thesandtrap.com/t/79126/want-to-try-to-turn-pro/0_30#post_1093301

Here's also a copy/paste from some of that post, but you can click the links to those threads (in random order) to see how those discussions went. I'd suggest the ones with the most views and replies, since they generated the most interest.  To summarize, there are dreamers in this world (and a few on this forum) who might encourage you. Unfortunately, those dreamers could also be just leading you down a path that makes no sense.

Also, I'll bet the golf info you get here on TST is better than what you'll find elsewhere (like igolftv). That site looks a bit inactive, whereas you get lots of recent, relevant information here.

Post your swing (as @mvmac suggested), and you'll see feedback from some experienced players. It can be humbling, but if you want to be a pro, you'll need to be scrutinized closely. Go for it, see if you people here think you have what it takes. This thread will degenerate to bickering most likely, so just cut to the chase, post your swing regularly, and post tournament results as you go along. Make us believers by showing us, rather than talking about it in the thread. Then we'll talk.

At the moment, I'll stick with 0.0000000000000001, or the next number below that.

Quote:

Here are some threads of people who have come before you:

I will become a tour professional! (Know I am going to get a lot of smack)
started on 06/18/12 • last post 02/02/13 at 10:42am • 245 replies • 9835 views

New here/Wanting to post about someone turning pro someday
started on 08/14/13 • last post 08/18/13 at 12:48pm • 59 replies • 1820 views

opinions on my potential??
started on 04/02/09 • last post 04/07/09 at 10:07pm • 318 replies • 24335 views

Going Pro
started on 03/21/13 • last post 03/26/13 at 2:33pm • 44 replies • 1342 views

Anyone have aspirations for pro golf ?
started on 02/21/07 • last post 03/07/07 at 5:50am • 23 replies • 10432 views

Comments? Discussion? Qualifying for a Nationwide tournament by 2011.
started on 08/02/10 • last post 08/07/10 at 1:46pm • 113 replies • 17742 views

Help me play on a pro tour!
started on 08/11/09 • last post 08/17/09 at 3:42am • 33 replies • 4517 views

playing professionally
started on 12/31/08 • last post 03/16/11 at 9:01pm • 30 replies • 13698 views

Road to becoming a professional golfer
started on 10/31/11 • last post 10/09/13 at 6:35pm • 223 replies • 33739 views

What it Takes to Go Pro
started on 07/08/09 • last post 07/15/09 at 6:44pm • 95 replies • 16829 views

TURNING PRO/ SCRATCH
started on 09/29/13 • last post 01/17/15 at 4:53pm • 10 replies • 586 views

Too late to become a pro?
started on 03/21/14 • last post 03/22/14 at 5:06pm • 21 replies • 1254 views

Can I Make the tour??
started on 11/06/11 • last post 07/23/14 at 11:29am • 141 replies • 6635 views

With enough practice can anybody become a pro?
started on 11/27/09 • last post 11/18/10 at 11:13pm • 105 replies • 17181 views

Need some help here about turning pro.
started on 06/15/08 • last post 06/16/08 at 10:46pm • 25 replies • 3534 views

golf lessons then turning pro
started on 11/04/13 • last post 11/06/13 at 4:35pm • 8 replies • 368 views

A personal favorite (although I'm not sure he ever said he'd go pro):

A month to shoot 70's
started on 12/04/13 • last post 01/09/14 at 1:34pm • 164 replies • 5359 views

Here's the most modest of the bunch, just shooting to be a PGA Professional (not on tour):

how to become a PGA Pro
started on 02/28/14 • last post 03/02/14 at 12:38pm • 17 replies • 832 views

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Think of all the young guys coming out of Div 1 schools every year coming into the prime of their golfing careers ... all with exceptional coaching and + hcp's, being completely immersed in the game 24/7.    How many even make it on the web.com tours, no less the PGA tour.     Everything points to yourself being a day late and a dollar short for being an elite professional ... but go ahead, have at it & prove us wrong ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

It's funny how often this comes up, but I'm not surprised, the pros look just like you and me right? how hard can it be? I put up an 85 the other day, a little work and I'll be scratch!

Unless you're 10 years old, super motivated, and daddy is rich and is OK with you dropping everything but golf, you have no chance.

It's funny how often this comes up, but I'm not surprised, the pros look just like you and me right? how hard can it be? I put up an 85 the other day, a little work and I'll be scratch! Unless you're 10 years old, super motivated, and daddy is rich and is OK with you dropping everything but golf, you have no chance.

We don't look anything like pros. . .their swings are too smooth and fast.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I think it's pretty simple.  Get down to being a scratch golfer (which is a far cry from a 10 handicap) and play in some amateur and local tournaments.  If you can win some of those, then you might have a chance.

You'd be surprised how many guys at any random golf course in America can shoot in the 60s regularly yet aren't good enough for even the mini tours.

I would suspect that for every tour pro, there are a number of guys that can shoot the same scores in a casual round on the same course. But they can only do it when they play their best, and they probably cannot do it at all under tournament pressure while the world is looking on via TV and such.

I bet there are guys that frequent this site that can break par on a pro course from the championship tees, but only once in a blue moon, and with no added pressure.

I'll approach this from a different perspective...

Hit 1,000 balls a day for the next 5 years and I start to like your chances.  (Not that you won't need to practice other things)

If he practiced properly he wouldn't have enough time to hit 1000 balls per day.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/54840/simple-specific-slow-short-and-success-the-five-s-s-of-great-practice

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

@zacgolfreno - a word of encouragement needed with all realistic assessments and critism given. Very difficult to achieve in any sport. Google a personal friend Dan Kolda who I did not take to the World Championships in 1981 and have regretted it. Became one of USA's most dominate fast pitch softball pitcher, here and abroad. Still pitching at his facility, 40 year career. Also had a Pan American Games All American I did not take. Compitition was stiff, the team was set. It will be stiff for you but keep focused. Try and learn, play the better players, and honestly self assess along the way towards your scheduled plan. "Dan Kolda Senior Fastpitch Softball Instructor - Pitching Most Valuable Player - ASA (Amateur Softball Association) Men’s National Championship Most Valuable Pitcher - ASA Regional Championship, Pacific Coast Region 5 Time NAFA (North American Fastpitch Association) World Champion 5 Time Most Valuable Pitcher- NAFA World Championships 8 Time All World Selection- NAFA World Championships 2012 Inductee NAFA Hall of Fame Member National Fastpitch Coaches Association 6 Years Head Coach, North Kitsap High School, Poulsbo, Wa. 2 Years Head Coach, Winters High School, Winters, Ca. 4 Years Head Coach and Pitching Coach, Diamond Dusters Travel Teams, Bremerton, Wa. Starting pitching in California at age 17. Pitched for several teams in California for 23 years. Began giving individual pitching lessons in 1992. Moved to Pouslbo, Wa. in 1995 where he pitched for the next 15 years. Started coaching travel teams and individual pitching instruction in 2000. Accepted head coach position at North Kitsap High School in 2001. Held this position for 6 years before moving back to California in 2007 and accepting the head coach position at Winters High school. Retired after 36 years of federal service and moved to Coeur d’Alene, Idaho in 2012. Is entering his 40th year of pitching competitively at national and international tournaments. "

Note: This thread is 3178 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!