IGNORED

Recently started hitting Skyballs

amel89
Note: This thread is 3150 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey all this is my first post here. I picked up my first golf club in about 10 years a couple months ago and while ive seen progress in my game, one area that seems to be getting steadily worse is my drives. I constantly sky the ball and make impact with the crown of the driver head. When I try to make adjustments I usually get the opposite effect which is a ball that hops along for 30 yards or so.

Ive seen alot of people suggest lowering the tee but this has not made any improvement and considering how big a 460 cc driver is it has to be pretty high up to hit the sweet spot and not hit it fat. If it helps to no anymore I also tend to hit it off the toe of the driver as well.

Anyway if any of you have ever gone through this and arent anymore id appreciate some advice.

Thanks!

Sky balls are not caused by actually getting under the ball or the tee being to high, they are caused by having a steep angle of attack with the driver, so take your driver and slowly come down into the ball with the face angled toward the ground. The ball is making contact with the crown of the driver and popping up. Figure out why you are coming in so steep and fix that and it will stop. Video your swing, and start a swing thread and someone will be able to tell you what you need to work on.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sky balls are not caused by actually getting under the ball or the tee being to high, they are caused by having a steep angle of attack with the driver, so take your driver and slowly come down into the ball with the face angled toward the ground. The ball is making contact with the crown of the driver and popping up. Figure out why you are coming in so steep and fix that and it will stop. Video your swing, and start a swing thread and someone will be able to tell you what you need to work on.

Agree with all this.

@amel89 check this out.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I also just recently had this problem of skying the driver, even though I was teeing it low and trying desperately to hit down on it.  What fixed it for me was actually trying to hit it on the upward part of the swing.  I still tee it pretty low, line it up with my left heel, and then put some weight on my right side so I'm leaning a bit to the right, the shaft angle of the driver matches my left leg.  Then I hit up on it, and there you go.  Worked for me. They still pop up fairly high, but the distance is back to where it was.

Driver: TaylorMade Aeroburner;  9.5* S-Flex
3-Wood: TaylorMade Aeroburner;  15* 
S-Flex
Hybrids: Nike Vapor Speed 3-5 Steel Stiff
Irons: Nike Vapor Speed 6-Pw Steel Stiff
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Satin Black; 52, 56, 60
Putter: Odyssey Works 2-Ball
Grips: Good Grip Tour Wrap Medium 
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 3150 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!