IGNORED

Upgrading Irons?

Note: This thread is 3152 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I know this has been asked 1000 times but I searched a little bit and decided to post

I currently have a set of Cleveland TA4 irons that I bought when I graduated High School in 1999.  I'm curious how much has the technology changed in the past 15 years on irons and would buying a new set really benefit me.  When I strike them well, they seem to be pure and I hit my 8 iron around 145 with them.  Now that I am rebuilding my swing and playing alot more, the thought has been entering my mind that maybe an upgrade is in order.  I don't have a huge budget, it would be in the $400 range probably if I did upgrade.  I just want to make sure it is worth it.

Obviously I know the money would be better spent on lessons, but I feel my swing is really coming around just with the work via this site.  I just want to make sure I am not being hampered by outdated technology.

- David -

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo

Woods: 3W - Callaway X2 Hot

Hybrid: 4 Walter Hagan

Irons: Callaway X-Hot 4 - AW 

Wedge: 52* - Cleveland CG15 Zip Black, 60* - Generic 

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #3

I just replaced Cleveland quad pro irons which are around the same age as yours. I replaced them with Adams xtd irons. They are much longer and more forgiving. The Clevelands were good irons for me and my dad before me but when I started hitting more recent irons it was hard to deny how well they performed.

DRIVER- Tour Edge EXS 220
3W- Adams Tight Lies 2
Hybrids- Cobra F8 19 *

Utility- Sub 70 699U #4
Irons - Sub 70 739 5-PW
Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54, 58
Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft #11

Ball- Titleist DT Trufeel

The options are better today then they were 15 years ago, however, the newer technology is not going to magically make you a better player... Maybe a few strokes at best. For $400, you could pick up a really nice set of lightly used irons

You want a good set of cavity backed iron given your handicap. You can get a really nice set of irons on Ebay. Stick with the name brands and you can't go wrong. Go to a golf store, try the different irons then look on Ebay, you'll save a bundle.

I might have to try some out at the golf shop to see what the difference is with newer clubs.  That is probably the only true answer.  The placebo effect might just be enough.  I was looking around on 2ndswing.com a little bit but it gets a little overwhelming with all the choices.

- David -

I suppose I'll browse for a Driver too.  Mine is 6 years old and I hit my X2 Hot 3W as far as I do my driver, just alot more accurate so I have put the driver away.  Do drivers go dead after awhile?

- David -

Do drivers go dead after awhile?

Unless somehow it's damaged, no, they don't "go dead". The driver is a tough club to play. If you play your 3W well, it wouldn't necessarily hurt you to just stick with that for a while and take the driver out if the bag for now

I've been poking around, just haven't made the commitment.  Globalgolf has a set of Taylor Made Speedbladz for $260 that really are tempting me.

- David -

I ended up buying a used set of Callaway X Hots off eBay for $215 today. I didn't get a chance to try any clubs out, but after a bunch of research I narrowed it down to the X Hots or Rocketbladez. I tend to be a Callaway fanboy since my driver and 3 wood are both Callaways and the price was pretty good. Hopefully the forgiveness and tech improvements knock off a few strokes.

- David -

So my new irons I bought are a regular steel shaft (will arrive Monday), the same as my current shaft.  With my swing changes, I have started getting more hip turn and accelerating more on my downswing.  I noticed today on my film that my 8 iron is flexing quite a bit.  I have never done a swing analysis, just bought whatever and played with it.  I'm wondering that with the changes to my swing and getting new clubs, does it look like I might need to look at getting new shafts put on them?  Would it help reduce my random shots that tend to show up? Or is this amount of flex normal for a 8 iron and I've never noticed it?

- David -

I believe the above image is common when you shoot a swing without high speed video. Your club is not really flexing like that, it's an illusion caused by your frame rate. Also, if it really were bending that much before you hit the ball, it should straighten by the time it gets there. My advice would be you've got nice new clubs, now just start playing them without going farther down the equipment rabbit hole. Regular flex will work fine unless you have a very fast swing and late release.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...
Technology hasnt changed enough to force your hand. That being said it has changed some and either way you might find clubs that are better for you and your game. Dont be scared. Go look around and demo some things. And remember sometimes you dont have to spend a lot. My current gamers and favorite set of irons ever ( and ive had 8 or so) are the wilson reflex irons i bought at dicks last year for 200. Love them to death and i have a golf club problem.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3152 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!