IGNORED

The Definitive Pace of Play Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 2610 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

83 members have voted

1. 1. How long does it typically take you to play 18 holes as a foursome?

• Under 3:00
    • 3:00 to 3:30
    • 3:30 to 4:00
    • 4:00 to 4:30
    • 4:30 to 5:00
    • Over 5:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Today I played a round which refuted some of the arguments in this thread.  We played 18 in a foursome, virtually empty course.  Low score was me at 89, high score was 110 (As a second year player he usually plays the forward tees, but has been improving so he played the middle tees with the rest of us), the other 2 were in the mid 90's, so no low handicappers in the bunch.  We were in two carts, and all with wildly varying shot lengths and directions, in other words cart golf was not the order of the day.  We never rushed - had no reason to do so.  We played by the rules - everyone putted out.

We teed off at 10 AM.  We finished before 1:30, less than 3½ hours.  It was an easy, relaxed round, with plenty of socializing between shots, yet we finished in a time that some in this thread have said would require a lot of stress and hurrying to make.  Not even remotely so.  With four rather weak players we got around quite well, so it's not the impossibility that so many modern players seem to think it is.

No, it wasn't the most difficult course, but with small greens which are hard to hit, there is a lot of chipping and other greenside play that is usually thought to take more time.  The greens also have some wicked slopes - one hole you couldn't stop the ball within 6 feet of the hole unless you were putting straight uphill.  Still made less than 3½ hours.

It can be done, and with very little effort.  So pooh on all who say that it's an unrealistic goal.  That is only true when the group in front of you is holding up your game.

May we ask how long was the course from tees you played?

Typical 18 hole course from the middle tees, about 6000 yards - par 71 - there are 3 par 3 holes on the front 9.  Why did you think I was talking about a par 3 course or something?

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Typical 18 hole course from the middle tees, about 6000 yards - par 71 - there are 3 par 3 holes on the front 9.  Why did you think I was talking about a par 3 course or something?

Not to speak for someone else, but I think he was just asking because it IS relevant information.

Great post, though - and I couldn't agree more.  On an empty course, even as a fourball, a 3:30 round feels almost lethargic.  I'm not sure I could even play in 4:00 on an empty course without taking a nap.

It would be cool if GameGolf had a way to track the pace of your round...it knows where you are at any time, so it has the data on how long you waited at a ball, how long you were on each green, etc.

• Upvote 1

- John

It would be cool if GameGolf had a way to track the pace of your round...it knows where you are at any time, so it has the data on how long you waited at a ball, how long you were on each green, etc.

It's in their (long) list of features that users have requested.  You can "vote" for that feature here .

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardspoon

It's in their (long) list of features that users have requested.  You can "vote" for that feature here.

If they ever develop a means of actually tracking the pace of individual golfers I think some folks will be a lot more shocked at how slow they are than were ever shocked when they got a GPS and found those "275" yard drives were actually only going 240.

• Upvote 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

If they ever develop a means of actually tracking the pace of individual golfers I think some folks will be a lot more shocked at how slow they are than were ever shocked when they got a GPS and found those "275" yard drives were actually only going 240.

I'm assuming everyone already has a watch.... ;-) I actually think most people have a good feel for how long they take to play around. They're just either ok with the time, or blame someone other than themselves for it. Played in 2:50 yesterday as a 3-ball. Private club and a pretty open course. We just played through one 5-some that let us through as soon as we came up on them. Just beat the afternoon rains. :-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Not to speak for someone else, but I think he was just asking because it IS relevant information. Great post, though - and I couldn't agree more. On an empty course, even as a fourball, a 3:30 round feels almost lethargic.  I'm not sure I could even play in 4:00 on an empty course without taking a nap. It would be cool if GameGolf had a way to track the pace of your round...it knows where you are at any time, so it has the data on how long you waited at a ball, how long you were on each green, etc.

I completely agree. The harsh truth is, if it takes you more than 3.5 hrs on a wide open course as a foursome, you guys are slow players. Sorry, there's no other way to put it.

Colin P.

The only thing I hate is when I am let through by a slower group and I feel rushed.  My game goes to hell for a couple holes.  Wish people would move along efficiently, but not feel rushed like they have a hot date or something.

No I didnt think you was talking about a par 3 course.I figured it wasnt too long and 6000 isnt long so thats what I meant.In a 4sum you do need all four to hit when its there turn to play in that time.Seems like theres always one that doesnt.

No I didnt think you was talking about a par 3 course.I figured it wasnt too long and 6000 isnt long so thats what I meant.In a 4sum you do need all four to hit when its there turn to play in that time.Seems like theres always one that doesnt.

Length of tees played should not matter at all. Those playing further back should have the game to support the additional distance.

I can't agree with you. On a wide open course you can take your time to play. Stop and beat the bushes to look for a few balls. Missed that putt, try it again. It's not a race.

Can we play faster? Sure but on a wide open course and no pressing engagements after why am I going to rush.

It's more about the situation. I played yesterday a true "links" course 1 tree. It played about 6650 from the blues par 70 13 rating and it took 5 hours. Why The guys in front were slow...Spending huge amounts of time looking for balls in the knee deep fescue and just generally playing slow. Painful.

So far, the poll is leaning between 3:30-4:00 and 4:00-4:30, so I assume that 4 hours is considered a good pace of play for a foursome ?

That definitely does not seem rushed at 00:13:20 per hole?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Had a 7:15am tee time this morning. My playing partner backed out so I played by myself. Had one of my better rounds so far this year. Did not have to wait at anytime during the round. Left the course at 9:30am in a Great mood.

And some people don't seem to understand this. :beer:

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• 3 months later...

Article on USGA Pace of Play Symposium: http://www.golfdigest.com/story/usga-discusses-solutions-to-slow-play-in-golf-in-its-third-annual-symposium

Early research unveiled at the seminar definitively showed that better tee-time spacing will eliminate bottlenecks, whether it’s in LPGA Tour tournaments (where rounds were eliminated by as much as 22 minutes) or at the everyday golf facility.

Kevin

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

http://www.golf.com/golf-plus/natalie-gulbis-what-golf-has-do-order-fix-slow-play?xid=nl_news

But the biggest change stems from the players themselves. These days many pros have a swing coach, a health coach and a psychologist in their inner circle. Players are taught elaborate preshot routines that emphasize slow, meditative movements in an effort to make all shots feel similar regardless of the situation, or pressure. That concept makes sense—if the routine lasts 30 to 45 seconds. But too many routines run long, and once a player has to stop and reset, it becomes tedious.

It’s not impossible for slow players to overhaul their pre-shot routines. Anyone remember Sergio Garcia’s infamous waggle? His routine was a mess, but those preshot twitches are gone, and he’s playing some of the best golf of his life.

One other recent change: Caddies talk more, and sometimes they line up their players. I hate that, but I do it because I tend to aim too far right. (I play fast enough, so it isn’t an issue.) I wouldn’t mind if the tour made caddie alignment illegal.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

56 minutes ago, iacas said:

That was a good article.  She has always been a good spokesperson for the LPGA, and I like her honesty.  I also respect that she is at least doing what she can to address the problem of slow play.  I wish more would speak out and I like that the LPGA has actually started a program to address the issue.

I also find it disturbing that Spieth took umbrage at being tagged for slow play at Abu Dhabi, instead of taking it as a hint and committing himself to working on improving his pace of play.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• 2 months later...

This was installed this week at the course I usually play:

pace_of_play.jpg

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Ive always told myself that to keep pace you shouldn't take more than 60 seconds for any given shot, starting from the time you put your bag down, or park the cart.

Note: This thread is 2610 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!