IGNORED

Range finder question

Note: This thread is 3164 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

When a rangefinder says it is 150 to the FLAG how far is it to the hole assuming the flag is 6 feet above the hole?

How tall are you?

Randal

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Was Pythagoras a golfer?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

That's only if you put the laser on the ground where your ball is. And it's assuming you're using a white ball, and not a day-glo orange or yellow.

Duh, Bill.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

That's only if you put the laser on the ground where your ball is. And it's assuming you're using a white ball, and not a day-glo orange or yellow.

Duh, Bill.

It's not like I don't know that, but nobody asked for details. I only show my work when I have to.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Forget the science. Just hit a ball 150 dead and see how much you're left with. It would probably measure about 220 for me....

Adam

:ping: G30 Driver 

:callaway: XR16 3W
:callaway: Big Bertha 5W
:ping: S55 4-W 
:ping: 50' , 56', 60' Glide Wedge
:odyssey: White Hot #7 Putter

I've been waiting my whole life to put SohCahToa into practice. 10th grade Trig is about to pay off big time!

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

it's a trick question

150 yards to the flag - which, on average is to the EDGE of the flag stick - so center of hole is 150 yards plus 3/8 of an inch.

now a hole is 4.25 inches across - so the edge of the hole is then 2.125 inches closer than that

now, if you stand with your toes aligned to your balls - you heard me - it's likely that you have to remove 3 cm since the sensor of the rangefinder is back about that much and you are overestimating then......

so 150 yards + 3/8 inch - 2.125 inches - 3 cm

so = 149.946 yards

I'd use my 150 yard club if you have one - don't want to leave it short.

Turns out I was wrong - I went to the 150 yard marker and put my rangefinder next to my golf ball on the ground and scanned to the hole - apparently the marker is wrong as my rangefinder said I was only 2 inches away.  Clearly a putt from there.

Bill - 

When a rangefinder says it is 150 to the FLAG how far is it to the hole assuming the flag is 6 feet above the hole?

What's the slope percentage (negative or positive) between your ball and the green?

Is the range finder a slope or non-slope version?

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

I dont know about all this Range finder math...

I know i look down at my Garmin G6 and say hmm 150 to the flag.. Pickup my 7 iron and pray i get it somewhere on the green..from glance to ball strike is about 20 seconds

I have a buddy that uses his range finder on every shot..  he takes forever.. i glance at my G6 and say.. Mike its 140 to the pin... he says yep mine says 141... then 5 minutes later after he puts his range finder away, grabs the right club, takes 10 practice swings then waggles over the ball... then duffs it 30 yards or shanks it left 120-130 yards down..  Rinse Repeat.

Needless to say i dont play golf with Mike much anymore.. He just dosnt get it..

Is this a serious question?

No.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator

It is a serious question but only for those with a knowledge of mathematics which excludes some of the above responders.

It is not a serious question, no. C'mon.

Your rangefinder is held about 6' above the ground, too, and your ball is on the ground. So "rangefinder to flag" is the same distance - within the accuracy margin for a laser rangefinder - as the ball to the hole.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 3164 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!