IGNORED

The Master how to become a "Professional Golfer" thread?

phillyk
Note: This thread is 3164 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. What do you think are the most important factors in taking your game to the level of a professional golfer? (see post below) (you may select more than one answer)

• Time
    • Money/Sponsors
    • Golf swing/mechanics
    • Game plan/Course management
    • That thing that gives you the drive to be the best
    • I don't know, I'm too Old
    • All the above!
    • Other, explain!

There's so many threads on here that say "I want to become a professional golfer," and I want to have a thread for them that talks about how much it really takes to make it: from sponsors, personality, golf mechanics, to social life.  I'm in no way saying that I'm even close to their level or that any of this is the truth, it's what I've seen and learned so far.  There isn't a one step ladder to get there, but it seems there are certain traits that each professional golfer shares that make them special.  Let me be specific, I'm not talking about being a golf professional at your local golf club, I'm talking about playing golf on a tour.

The beginning, most of today's top pros start very young.  Build a full swing as early as possible and build muscle in the areas that contribute to the swing.  Up to the age of 14, kids should not be too concerned with a "proper" swing as much as just building a good looking swing and having fun with golf.  Pre-high into high school, kids can start to focus on all the mechanics of the swing.  The key in this age though, is to not overload yourself with golf.  It seems, even on this forum, people burned themselves out really early.  Stay social, do other sports and activities to keep everything fresh.  Pro's today all have their individual sports that they used to play or love to watch.  As an adult, and trying to make a run for professional golf, you are at a slight disadvantage.  You have to overcome bad habits built from other sports or activities that hinder a good swing.  But for all the above, LSW gives very good building blocks for a good swing and game plan that can bring you to the tour.  As the book goes over, even though swings look different and some of them are really funky (J. Furyk), they all follow some general principles.
Side example:  When I was younger (like 15), I played with a gentleman who said he played in Q-school, and he told me something that I still strive for everyday.  He said the biggest difference between those who made it and those who didn't was that those who did, were averaging closer to the hole on approach shots and gave themselves better birdie opportunities.  I mean, we all make mistakes and want to miss less, but you also have to give yourself lots of chances to get those strokes back.

One of the big blocks to overcome for many golfers making it to the tour is, you guessed it, finances and time (commitment!).  Unless you are in college on a nice scholarship playing golf for free and practicing all the time with a good coach or already have a solid financial back-up, you have a job. You can't just quit your job and hope to make it quickly.  You have to have a sponsor! Most, if not all, of today's pros have some sort of sponsor, whether its family, friends, or a company of some sort that will back them up to practice and bring them to tournaments.  It's no lie, pros practice A LOT!! A lot, a lot if they are not already in a tournament that week.  It's their job to try and be the best week in, week out.  8+ hours a day, 5+ days a week.  Putting, chipping, full swing, playing golf, working out, eating lunch, reading a book on golf, anything and everything that might help them get better and more consistent.  They have personal coaches, doctors, psychologists, fitness trainers, everything.  The road is very hard, not impossible, but hard without a sponsor.

Personality. Pros range from overly confident and proud (P. Reed) to humble (J. Speith).  But what they do have in common is drive/desire.  You must have some form of this, and be able to keep it fresh.  They can smile for the cameras and have a good laugh every now and then, but in the end, they all want to win, period.  Some people have that certain drive more than others.  I'd say younger Tiger is a perfect example.  Back in 2001, when he would stand over a putt, you could look at him and know 100% that the putt was going in the hole.  I haven't seen anything like that since, but its something to shoot for.

Outside of golf, it's important to maintain an active social life.  You can't be just golf, golf, golf.  We see instagram photos of pros on boats or out to town or whatever.  This way, you can refresh yourself before going back to work.

Paths to playing on tour: Most tours offer Monday Qualifying, which is a difficult path but doable and then you can build yourself up by playing well.  Or Q-school now gets you into the Web.com tour now, I believe.  Or start out as an amateur and play in the US Am and qualify to pro events that way.  Or qualify for the US Open or Open Championship.  You could apply to get a sponsor exemption at most pro events as well.  There are other paths too, but these are some of the main ways.

This, obviously, doesn't begin to cover it all, but I thought it'd be nice to discuss the ideas everyone has about what they think it takes to be at the top level of playing golf.  I also want to re-iterate, I'm not saying that all the above statements are "true," its just what I've seen and learned so far.

I'll add a poll as well.  Obviously, most of us play golf socially, but if you could try to make a run for a tour (yes even the senior tour), What do you think is the most important factor in taking your game to the level of a professional golfer ?

• Upvote 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Other: Lacking talent, of course. :-D

I hit pretty solidly compared to most of the other people on the range and on the courses I play, but when I see what the pro I've played with and the scratch and +2 handicap golfers can do, it's a totally different world. They hit the ball with way more energy imparted for the same distances. There is a lot more control on the trajectory. I can see that they spin the ball with lots of energy and that's how they hit towering 230 yard 3 irons that land softly. Some really strong college and high school players hit as far or even farther, but the ball doesn't have as much control on it. Not sure how to describe it, but imagine a 10 handicap hitting a 6i 180 yards and a pro hitting the 6i the same distance. The pros ball pretty much sits where it lands at 180 yards. The 10 handicap ball just kind of piddles to the 180-ish mark.

So, lacking talent.

• Upvote 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I hit pretty solidly compared to most of the other people on the range and on the courses I play, but when I see what the pro I've played with and the scratch and +2 handicap golfers can do, it's a totally different world. They hit the ball with way more energy imparted for the same distances. There is a lot more control on the trajectory. I can see that they spin the ball with lots of energy and that's how they hit towering 230 yard 3 irons that land softly. Some really strong college and high school players hit as far or even farther, but the ball doesn't have as much control on it. Not sure how to describe it, but imagine a 10 handicap hitting a 6i 180 yards and a pro hitting the 6i the same distance. The pros ball pretty much sits where it lands at 180 yards. The 10 handicap ball just kind of piddles to the 180-ish mark.

I guess with that, they also control the spin and trajectory very well.  For 180, they can use almost anything between an 8 iron and 4 iron and still hit the spot they need to.

Philip Kohnken, PGA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

I'm with @Lihu I voted other: Talent. Without incredible natural talent the rest of that stuff ain't gonna get it done. Conversely, with enough natural talent you might be able to get it done without any of that other stuff.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

I guess with that, they also control the spin and trajectory very well.  For 180, they can use almost anything between an 8 iron and 4 iron and still hit the spot they need to.

Yeah, that pretty much takes a lot of talent. It takes lots of speed with tons of control.

I'm with @Lihu I voted other: Talent. Without incredible natural talent the rest of that stuff ain't gonna get it done. Conversely, with enough natural talent you might be able to get it done without any of that other stuff.

So true. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

agree with lihu... other: talent... unless you start with that, you can work until the cows come home, have all the sponsorship money in the world, etc., and you aren't gonna make it... my example is generally "i can practice running 100 meters forever, and i will never run it in less than 10 seconds"... i personally believe someone can be taught to be a pretty decent player as long as they are somewhat coordinated... but if they don't start with "talent", that is as far as they are going to go...

wow... some consensus here...

Don't argue with Lihu, he can build robots and shit! :-P

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccotenj

wow... some consensus here...

Don't argue with Lihu, he builds robots and shit!

Nor Ernest, he writes novels and knows a lot of stuff about stuff. :beer:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

[QUOTE name="ccotenj" url="/t/83913/the-master-how-to-become-a-professional-golfer-thread#post_1186718"] wow... some consensus here... :-) [/QUOTE] Don't argue with Lihu, he can build robots and shit!:-P

memo to self... if i ever disagree with lihu, start looking out the window for drones.... :-P

[QUOTE name="Ernest Jones" url="/t/83913/the-master-how-to-become-a-professional-golfer-thread#post_1186719"]   [QUOTE name="ccotenj" url="/t/83913/the-master-how-to-become-a-professional-golfer-thread#post_1186718"] wow... some consensus here... :-) [/QUOTE] Don't argue with Lihu, he builds robots and shit!:-P [/QUOTE] Nor Ernest, he writes novels and knows a lot of stuff about stuff. :beer:

he probably gets plenty of material from tst.. :beer:

I'm with @Lihu I voted other: Talent. Without incredible natural talent the rest of that stuff ain't gonna get it done. Conversely, with enough natural talent you might be able to get it done without any of that other stuff.

Agree with 1st part of this statement but not the last sentence.   One needs to start with talent and most of "other stuff" to succeed.   Proven formula = talent + hard work ethic + drive to succeed + means (time, money, family support) + luck.    Most of these need to align to succeed.   Talent alone can get you nothing if you don't have work ethic, drive, means, and/or luck.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Philip Kohnken, PGA

I choose Golf Swing/Mechanics, Game Plan/Course Management, and other. The other being a coach/mentor. I don't think you need natural talent, I believe anyone could be come a touring pro if that is what they wanted to do. I think people that say they will never be as good as (insert anything here). Is just making an excuse to be average or not to put in more effort/practice.

Also if we are talking about natural talent, who has it? Show me someone who naturally just picked up a club and was able to knock it right where they wanted it. I don't really believe in natural talent. Go across any sport and look who is at the top. I bet it's the person who put in more practice with a coach, then someone who just decided one day hump I'm actually really good I should play on the PGA.

What is talent then?  Is it physical and biologic attributes some people have and others don't? Is it that drive thing?  Or is it just that, talent? That there's something out there that the rest of us can't ever have?

Physical & mental.   All of us have those to varying degree.   PGA tour pros have more of them.   That's my 2 cents on the topic.

I can argue that 3 of the items listed in the poll are directly related to "talent."

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

[CONTENTEMBED=/t/83913/the-master-how-to-become-a-professional-golfer-thread#post_1186716 layout=inline]What is talent then?  Is it physical and biologic attributes some people have and others don't? Is it that drive thing?  Or is it just that, talent? That there's something out there that the rest of us can't ever have?[/CONTENTEMBED]

yup it is physical and biologic attributes... and yes, some are blessed with them, and most of us aren't... take an nfl lineman as an example... many of them just look like fat guys... but they are blessed with the ability to move very quickly in small spaces... a lot of people would be surprised at just how quick that 325 pound guy really is... or another sport i'm rather fond of, cycling... some guys are blessed with amazing aerobic and anaerobic capacity that the great majority of humans simply don't have... or baseball and the ability to hit... and so on...

Also if we are talking about natural talent, who has it? Show me someone who naturally just picked up a club and was able to knock it right where they wanted it. I don't really believe in natural talent. Go across any sport and look who is at the top. I bet it's the person who put in more practice with a coach, then someone who just decided one day hump I'm actually really good I should play on the PGA.

you would lose that bet... if you look at who are the "best" participants in any sport, you will find that they are blessed with physical skills that others simply don't possess... edit: it isn't limited to sports... it is true of everything...

Note: This thread is 3164 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!