IGNORED

Match Play rules

phan52
Note: This thread is 3145 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was playing a championship match in my flight a couple of weeks ago and, at one point, we had a little controversy over my ability to mark my ball on the green. I was two down with four to go and I had just hit the best shot I had hit all day, a 45 yard Mickelsonesque lob wedge from the side of a very narrow green to two feet.

As background, I always want to mark my ball in match play when it is close to the hole because, a few years ago, I failed to mark my ball in a better ball match and my opponent boned a chip that was going over the green, but it hit my ball and stopped next to the hole and we lost the hole.

My opponent had a very difficult chip from the side of the green that would be almost impossible to stop near the hole so I was hurrying up to mark the ball and stated as much. My opponent disregarded my request and made a statement that it was his shot and he controlled play. He addressed his ball before I could get there and hit the shot. It turned out that he hit a poor shot and didn't even get it on the green, but I was pissed. I walked up to mark my ball before he could hit again and I stated that he can't keep me from marking my ball. He was hot after messing up his shot, and was staring daggers at me, but I was right. While it was certainly his turn to play and he controlled when I could hit my next shot, he can't keep me from marking my ball.

22-1. Ball Assisting Play
Except when a ball is in motion, if a player considers that a ball might assist any other player, he may:
a. Lift the ball if it is his ball; or
b. Have any other ball lifted.

Another thing he did was he would putt a long putt and would then walk up and finish out of turn. I didn't say anything about it during the match, but I pointed out to him afterward that he did not have the right to do that in match play unless he asks first. My only reason for telling him was to keep him from having an incident with somebody who wanted to be a dick about it, but he was annoyed that I brought it up.

A lot of people don't understand that match play and stroke play have decidedly different rules. Does anybody else have similar experiences with the rules of match play?

• Upvote 1

Bill M

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I had had one in a four-ball match a couple of years ago in an interclub match, playing away from home.  My partner played one of our opponents balls.  We figured it out pretty quickly, and the opponent put a ball into play as close as possible to his original ball's spot.  We weren't dead sure of the penalty, whether our team had lost the hole (our opponent's opinion), or whether only my partner was eliminated from the hole (my opinion).  I carry a rule book, so I suggested we play out the hole and consult the rules on the next tee.  They chose to call their pro shop, and were told that my side had lost the hole.  When they told me, I said I'm not sure, let's finish the hole and make sure.  As it worked out, they kind of relaxed, I made a pretty lucky chip and putt, and tied their low ball.  As many already know, the penalty was that my partner was eliminated form the hole, but I was still in play.  I showed them the rule on the next tee, they agreed that I was correct, and we played on, but they were a little mad at themselves for relaxing and not giving the hole their full attention, based on the advice they got from the pro shop.

The moral of the story, form my point of view:

1.  Its best to know the rules

2.  If you're not absolutely sure about the ruling, don't agree to anything until you ARE sure

3.  No matter what, pay complete attention to each shot, even if you MIGHT be out of a hole.

4.  Nobody knows every rule, not even the pro, make sure you know how to find the information yourself.

I also required a guy to replay a putt after he'd putted out of turn.  I had specifically asked him to mark his ball and wait, he went on anyway.  I forget why I wanted him to wait, probably thinking he'd feel more pressure if he KNEW he needed to make it.  We talked about it over a beer after the match, parted as friends, but we were both a little irritated at the time.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I've been fortunate in this regard. I don't have extensive match play experience, but in the dozen or so tourament matches that I've participated in, I've never butted heads with an opponent about a rule issue.

I am curious about the point that the OP raised in his original post. If you declare your intent to mark your ball, is the opponent required to allow this? Or can he continue with his shot, as @phan52 's did? I know that rule 22-1 allows you the right to mark, but is there a penalty for an opponent who ignores this request? If so, what is it?

Some interesting rulings,

22/5

Assisting Ball Lifted by Opponent Replaced on Request; Player's Ball Then Strikes Opponent's Ball and Opponent Lodges Claim

Q.In a match between A and B, A's ball is near the hole in a position to serve as a backstop for B's ball. A lifts his ball to clean it. B requests A to replace his ball before he (B) putts. A protests but B insists that, under the Rules, A must replace his ball immediately. A replaces his ball but disputes B's right to require him to do so and claims the hole. B putts and his ball strikes A's ball and stops very close to the hole. A replaces his ball and holes out for a 4. B then holes out for a 4. The match continues and the claim is later referred to the Committee. How should the Committee rule?

A.The hole stands as played. The Rules do not require A to replace his ball, but B was not in breach of the Rules by asking A to replace it - see Rule 22-1.

22/6

Competitor Requests That Ball in Position to Assist Him Not Be Lifted

Q.In stroke play, B's ball lies just off the putting green. A's ball lies near the hole in a position to serve as a backstop for B's ball. B requests A not to lift his ball. Is such a request proper?

A.No. If A and B agree not to lift a ball that might assist B, both players are disqualified under Rule 22-1.

An interesting scenario. Kinda shady scenario. What if a player marks the ball, but then the other player hits his shot. Before he can lift his ball the other player's ball is in motion with out the player knowledge. Should he be penalized for lifting the ball. I am not sure what is considered all ready in the act of lifting or not.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I am curious about the point that the OP raised in his original post. If you declare your intent to mark your ball, is the opponent required to allow this? Or can he continue with his shot, as @phan52's did? I know that rule 22-1 allows you the right to mark, but is there a penalty for an opponent who ignores this request? If so, what is it?

I can't find any indication that there could be a penalty assessed.  I can't find anything that says the opponent was required to wait for the OP to mark his ball.  I do remember that at one time, a player DID control his opponent's ball, but that was changed at some time since the mid-70's.

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

east is good for me.

you should not have marked your ball as your opponent asked. even if he is on the green he can hit it no problem in MP.

he asked that you replace the ball and you did not, it's your right also.

I would have left the ball in place. yet if the ball can help I remove it it's my right and state this. it's a match too bad for him, who cares ?

• Administrator

you should not have marked your ball as your opponent asked. even if he is on the green he can hit it no problem in MP.

Why? It was in a position to help him. I'd have tried to mark and lift it too.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

A little history of this rule, which apparently goes back to the days of the stymie:

1956 In match play, the rule was changed such that the ball nearer the hole could only be lifted at the request of the player about to play.   In effect, the player about to play had 'control' over his opponent's ball.

From 1984 , a ball may be lifted if it may interfere with or assist another player in all forms of play.

This is from the website:

http://www.ruleshistory.com/green.html

• Upvote 1

Dave

By refusing to comply with a rule - i.e. the OP's  right to lift his ball under Rule 22-1 - his opponent loses the hole.  See Decision 2/3.

http://www.usga.org/rules/rules-and-decisions.html#!decision-02,d2-3

The corresponding rule in stroke play  is 3-4

Your opponent used to control your ball but that was changed years ago. You now have the right to mark and lift. Maybe he is an old timer who doesn't know Sorry - just saw this was already posted
  • Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 3145 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!