IGNORED

What NFL rule changes would you like to see?

saevel25
Note: This thread is 3163 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1)  10-yard bump/chuck zone for DBs.

2)  Field goal points:  10-25 yds. = 1 point.  25-40 yds = 2 points.  40-55 yds = 3 points.  55+ yds = 4 points.  This rewards the increased skill of longer FGs and also introduces a strategic element into when you're going to attempt the kick.

This makes no sense to me.  Why should the ineffective offense get a better scoring opportunity BECAUSE they are ineffective.  Why does the team that drives 90 yards and barely misses pushing it in on 3rd down only get a one point opportunity, while the team that receives a poor shanked punt, and then does absolutely nothing on offense gets a 4 point scoring opportunity?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamo

That rule was different until like 10 years ago. They used to try to split hairs about whether or not the receiver could have come down with it in bounds had he not been pushed.

Then again, maybe that's more practical now with instant replay.

I just think it's stupid. Philosophically I believe that the DB's should be able to use the sideline as a way to deny a catch.

Makes sense to me.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You misinterpret what we're saying. Neither of us said "not catchable" as in shouldn't have been a penalty, we said and meant they're not being caught (common sense because most deep balls aren't caught) so I'd rather shrink the penalty a tad because a bogus call undeserved is way worse than a good call that "only" gives them 15 yards and a new set of downs.

You lost me there.. That's not what newtogolf was saying at all.. He was saying that the specific instances where a penalty was called the ball isn't catchable anyway, he isn't talking about general deep plays.. And that is why he said he doesn't mind the distance penalty as long as they put some sort of provision saying that if the ball isn't catchable then don't call a penalty.. (Which I agree with since it would be dumb to call a penalty on a DB when the ball is sailing 30 yards into the crowds). However, if the WR puts a finger on it or it is within reach and he was interfered with then yeah it's a penalty and deserves all that yardage IMO (and the current rules say it is adequate as well) If I misunderstood what you said that is understandable because you were jumping on the back of newtogolf. He can clarify if I'm wrong in my understanding and I'll be willing to admit that I misunderstood though.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

I think just because a passers arm is in motion shouldn't exempt the player from fumbling the ball, as far as I'm convinced the QB has possession of the ball until it leaves his fingertips too much time is wasted during games reviewing and reversing these calls.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

You lost me there.. That's not what newtogolf was saying at all.. He was saying that the specific instances where a penalty was called the ball isn't catchable anyway, he isn't talking about general deep plays.. And that is why he said he doesn't mind the distance penalty as long as they put some sort of provision saying that if the ball isn't catchable then don't call a penalty.. (Which I agree with since it would be dumb to call a penalty on a DB when the ball is sailing 30 yards into the crowds). However, if the WR puts a finger on it or it is within reach and he was interfered with then yeah it's a penalty and deserves all that yardage IMO (and the current rules say it is adequate as well) If I misunderstood what you said that is understandable because you were jumping on the back of newtogolf. He can clarify if I'm wrong in my understanding and I'll be willing to admit that I misunderstood though.

We're venturing into ridiculous straw man esque territory here so never mind. I'll just repeat: I agree wholeheartedly with Boogielicious and lets just leave it at that.

You lost me there.. That's not what newtogolf was saying at all.. He was saying that the specific instances where a penalty was called the ball isn't catchable anyway, he isn't talking about general deep plays.. And that is why he said he doesn't mind the distance penalty as long as they put some sort of provision saying that if the ball isn't catchable then don't call a penalty.. (Which I agree with since it would be dumb to call a penalty on a DB when the ball is sailing 30 yards into the crowds). However, if the WR puts a finger on it or it is within reach and he was interfered with then yeah it's a penalty and deserves all that yardage IMO (and the current rules say it is adequate as well)

If I misunderstood what you said that is understandable because you were jumping on the back of newtogolf. He can clarify if I'm wrong in my understanding and I'll be willing to admit that I misunderstood though.

@Golfingdad I was referring to long passes, over 20 yards, a fly route is a long pass route.  Most deep passes and hail mary passes do not get completed.

Joe Paradiso

@Golfingdad is right,  I was referring to long passes, over 20 yards, a fly route is a long pass route.  Most deep passes and hail mary passes do not get completed. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/130338/] [/URL]

If that is what you meant with the below post then I am truly confused, but ok.. Thanks for clarifying.. [quote name="newtogolf" url="/t/83965/what-nfl-rule-changes-would-you-like-to-see/0_10#post_1188186"]The problem with PI is that the rule "assumes" that the WR will catch the ball. I've seen too many PI calls where it was unlikely the WR would have caught the ba ll if he had not been interfered with.  I am okay with the penalty being the distance of the pass but I think they need to tighten the part about the pass being catchable had the interference not occurred, maybe subject it to review if PI occurs in last two minutes of half or game. [/quote]

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

I think just because a passers arm is in motion shouldn't exempt the player from fumbling the ball, as far as I'm convinced the QB has possession of the ball until it leaves his fingertips too much time is wasted during games reviewing and reversing these calls.

I think the ball should be coming forward, not the arm. I think a few fumbles have been overturned because the QB has started his arm motion forward, but the ball hasn't actually moved yet. I don't mind this rule. I can see how if the ball was still on the fingers and got swatted there is a strong case that it should be an incomplete pass.

@Golfingdad is right,  I was referring to long passes, over 20 yards, a fly route is a long pass route.  Most deep passes and hail mary passes do not get completed.

On @Golfingdad 's post. How the heck is a 20 yard pass considered  Hail Mary situation!

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

None that I can think of. They have the game pretty well managed. If anything I'd like to see the rules they do have enforced more accurately.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Look at the rules changes over the last 15 years and you will see they heavily favor the offense. [LIST] [*] Defensive players used to be able to make contact with WR for 10 yards, now it's 5. I agree to an extent but this is mainly the one listed that affects offense scoring [*] Contact with QB is restricted to chest to thighs, hits above or below those areas result in 15 yard penalty and first down.  Even lineman on the ground cannot make contact with QB below the knee. safety issue [*] Offensive lineman may now line up 2 yards behind line of scrimmage [*] Offensive lineman were permitted to extend their arms for blocking are you implying olineman could not extend arms before?? Did they block with their elbows? [*] Hits to outstretched WR's or prone receivers are penalized 15 yards and first down.  Defenses basically have to allow a WR to catch a ball before they hit them. safety issue(concussions) [*] Tuck rule rule has been rescinded [*] Balls can now touch the ground and be considered a catch if the WR is deemed to "maintain control" you see issue with this? [*] Horse collar tackles including grabbing of jersey are made illegal safety issue [*] Emphasis on defensive holding and illegal contact. [/LIST] Just look at the offensive stats of players over the last five years.  Do you really think the uptick in scoring and yards gained is just a result of the offensive players being better athletes?

Teams like Seattle still manage to play good defense. I think the spread offense has a heck of a lot to do with scoring noow going along with the first rule you mentioned, but defense is still winning football games as evident by most of the last 10 years of winners(Seattle,Pittsburgh,Giants,Ravens,

I would like to see all chop blocks cut blocks and generally all blocks below the waist penalized at least 10 yards. Don't care if it a running back we or online man.

Teams like Seattle still manage to play good defense. I think the spread offense has a heck of a lot to do with scoring noow going along with the first rule you mentioned, but defense is still winning football games as evident by most of the last 10 years of winners(Seattle,Pittsburgh,Giants,Ravens,

• Offensive lineman could not extend their arms and had to keep their arms inside the width of their shoulders.  Watch some football from the 70's and 80's, they blocked with their forearms.

I also disagree all the rule changes were safety issues as there weren't reciprocal rules passed that penalized an offensive player for lowering his helmet into a defensive players head.  A diving defenseman trying to hit a moving target is responsible for where his helmet hits but a 200lb+ RB running full speed is permitted to lower his helmet into the defender without any concern what part of the body his helmet comes in contact with.

Joe Paradiso

I also disagree all the rule changes were safety issues as there weren't reciprocal rules passed that penalized an offensive player for lowering his helmet into a defensive players head.  A diving defenseman trying to hit a moving target is responsible for where his helmet hits but a 200lb+ RB running full speed is permitted to lower his helmet into the defender without any concern what part of the body his helmet comes in contact with.

Didn't they just change this so that a RB could be penalized for leading with his head?  Or am I mis-remembering something?

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Didn't they just change this so that a RB could be penalized for leading with his head?  Or am I mis-remembering something?

You are correct, the NFL did pass a rule in 2013 called the Crown Rule but it's application is limited to outside the tackle box or more than three yards down field.  I also am not aware of a single instance where the penalty was called in 2014.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 3163 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!