IGNORED

I Really Dislike the "Golf Dinosaur" Commercials

iacas
Note: This thread is 3007 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

19 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the "Don't be a Golf Dinosaur" commercials?

• I haven't seen them, but I still dislike them.
    • I hate them.
    • I really, really hate them.
    • They make me want to throw the remote at my TV.
    • They're tolerable. ;)

I'm embarrassed to say, they're so goofy, that I like them... :doh:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm embarrassed to say, they're so goofy, that I like them... :doh:

Now THAT is the proper use of the doh icon. ;-)

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I almost hate them. Especially the one where the guy moans and chews on a tree. Ugh. Horrible. And since they're Golf Channel, you see them ALL the time…

That commercial's hilarious :-D

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Now THAT is the proper use of the doh icon. ;-)

Yeah, I got nothin'

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I find 99% of all commercials worse than these, so it's weird that these were singled out. At least they are somewhat clever (for a commercial).
  • Upvote 1

Is this really possible anymore?

Well, I think so - although, easier said then done. Consumers are a lot more informed. Certainly overpowering and repetitive suggestion is counterproductive IMHO. But that's where in lies the art of tasteful suggestion. How do you know when the 'critical mass' mass has been reached and the thing is going stale and to who? What's a nuisance to me now may continue being music to someone else. One fit's all has never worked and I think it is getting even harder. I sorta feel for the advertisers.

I think there are a lot of good commercials out there. But they all run their course. I think it helps to keep changing it up to keep it fresh. Interesting I have always noticed how insurance commercials always keep the same base jingle but change the 'episodes' - e.g. Progressive with Flo character, or the State farm guy. I think those stay relevant for a long time.

Vishal S.

Man I love that song though.  I start singing every time it comes on!

It gets stuck in my head every time. Last weekend was a nightmare. I had it stuck in my head for 3 days straight bc of the PGA Championship. I actually looked up the song to see the name and who performs it. [VIDEO]http://youtu.be/mk48xRzuNvA[/VIDEO]

I think they are clever and well done.

Gets their point across well and guess what, you are still talking about it so it was effective.

• Upvote 1

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

I don't love them, and they could have done better, but they are not horrible. They are marketing to golfers not already using the internet to make tee times which is an older generation and they are telling them not to be dinosaurs, Ehh, I am fine with that.

@SavvySwede practicality standpoint. Who is trying to make a tee time the day before? A person should expect to have trouble making a time on that short a notice.

Michael

I don't love them, and they could have done better, but they are not horrible. They are marketing to golfers not already using the internet to make tee times which is an older generation and they are telling them not to be dinosaurs, Ehh, I am fine with that.

@SavvySwede is right from a practicality standpoint. Who is trying to make a tee time the day before? A person should expect to have trouble making a time on that short a notice.

I make tee times the day off all the time.  Why is that a problem?  Seems like that would fit into the dinosaur mold they are referring to.

With their app, you don't have to plan days ahead and call the pro-shop, that is the whole point of the quick search to show open tee times when you can play...

• Upvote 1

Tony  

I hated them at first (mainly because I missed the Old Tom Morris "GO PLAY" corny commercials) ... but they've grown on me.    The blonde girl's expression when he gets in her face & does the dinosaur squauk is priceless.    The new one where the tall guy munches the tree leaves cracks me up.    Have to admit, I'm a fan now ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkolo

I hate making tee times myself. The extra $5 or $6 per person just strikes me a rip off, especially since I usually play in the late morning or afternoon. I get having a no-show fee, but charging 20 - 25% of your greens fees just to make a time bugs me. I've gotten in the habit of just showing up to play and either finding the course open or waiting an hour while I hit a bucket at the range. Better use of that money, haha.

Extra $$$? For golfnow maybe but many times I just go through the courses site without any additional charges. This weekend Golfnow ended up being slight cheaper even with the additional fee so I went through there. Some course here offer a lower rate for Tee Times booked online and a higher rate for not booking online.

At least at the dozen or so courses in my area that quit golfnow.com and force you to use their web site ... you'll NEVER get a hot deal price, just standard pricing, so I don't frequent those courses anymore.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

At least at the dozen or so courses in my area that quit golfnow.com and force you to use their web site ... you'll NEVER get a hot deal price, just standard pricing, so I don't frequent those courses anymore.

I usually get better overall pricing at the golf courses website due to the fee's charged by golfnow. I wouldn't be surprised if the golf course also has to pay a fee when you make the bookings through golfnow and they might even have to pay monthly charges as well. I would think (but readily admit I could be wrong) they should be able to do it as cheap or cheaper on their own site. The hot deal is nice but so is every 10th round is free like one of my local courses offers. Basically I use golfnow to see what tee times are available and then go through the courses site to make the booking. It sure is nice to have a bunch of different courses all on one site though.

Golf courses hate golf now. That's reason enough to know that you are getting a good deal.....

Yup!

When I can play a course for more than 50% off their normal fees, why would I ever pay full price again?

And in my experience, these are not artificially inflated prices to appear as a better deal than they are.

And look at that, their commercial started a thread where people are now talking about the benefits of their product.  Sounds like a darn good commercial to me.

Tony  

And in my experience, these are not artificially inflated prices to appear as a better deal than they are.

Really? I am looking at a tee time for one of favorite courses in the area for around 7am tomorrow. GolfNow has it listed at 20% off!!!!! Wow. I go to the courses website and click their tee time specials and lo and behold the course has it for the same exact price. It is 20% off their prime time price but still available on their site for the same price as GolfNow. If I go through the courses site there is no processing fee but through golfnow there is a $2.49 fee. It is cheaper to go through the course website and the course isn't getting dinged for a fee by GolfNow.

Note: This thread is 3007 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!