IGNORED

How you THINK you're playing as opposed to how you're ACTUALLY playing...

Fairway_CY
Note: This thread is 3134 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So, I played in another tournament round yesterday and when I added up the scores from our group... it just seemed wrong.

Because it was a shotgun tournament, I didn't play the course 'in order'... instead, we started on the 14th hole.

I started out conservatively (because it was a short course)... but became more aggressive as time went on.

I hit a 4 iron from the 14th tee and then a 6 iron to the green, two-putting from 30 feet for par.  The next hole was slightly longer, and because I have ZERO confidence in my 3 wood or hybrid at the moment, I decided to hit my driver.  I pulled it slightly, and it ended up beneath a tree.  I punched out, then hit a great shot with my gap wedge that had just a little too much spin, and it rolled back to 20 yards below the green.  I ended up with a double bogey after a poor chip and 2 more putts.  I got a break on the next hole and hit a great pitch from a 'dead' area that saved me a bogey.  Then on the next hole, I hit my tee shot into a greenside bunker, bladed it out of bounds, and then holed out for another bogey.

So... despite hitting a few iffy shots, I had escaped with being 4 over through my first 5 holes.

Then, I guess I just kinda went into auto-pilot mode.  I was feeling like I was playing well, hitting 5 of 7 fairways on the front side, and blasting a few drives well beyond my average (297 and 291).  I knew I had a bad hole on one of the par 5 holes (triple bogey) but, otherwise, I felt pretty good about things.  And then we got to the 10th tee and we were adding up scores to compare cards and I somehow posted a 50.  Meanwhile, one of the guys in our group seemingly blew up every hole (cursing, throwing clubs, kicking out of bounds posts, etc)... but he posted a legitimate 45.

It just seemed REALLY off to me.  Not because I thought something was wrong with the numbers, but because I had been in my own kinda zone, and I expected a mid 40s score for that side. When I realized I had shot 50... I kinda crumbled.

I knew I had a shot at posting a decent back side score with only 4 holes to play... but seeing that score really took my mind out of things and I wound up closing with bogey - double - triple - double to post a 98.

I got home last night and was going over things on Game Golf and on my scorecard and realized that, despite hitting a bunch of fairways, I wasted a TON of shots from prime positions on that front side.

The 297 yard drive was on a 531 yard par 5.  The pin was up, and I had 204 to the hole.  I then chunked a 4 iron, then went completely beneath the ball from the bermuda rough with a wedge and carded a bogey.  The following hole was the 291 yard drive, and although I ended up just off the fairway, I still had a very simple shot from about 80 yards that I hit fat and left and put into a bunker.  I posted a double bogey from there.

It was just a really deflating feeling, and because I was keeping score for the group on our cart, I was asked to add the scores up to compare to the card being kept in the other cart... so there was no way to really avoid seeing my score at that point.

Anybody else have experiences like that where they feel they're playing one way and then the score dictates the opposite?

CY

• Upvote 1

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think the older I get, the better I was, but I also think I could play better if that makes sense. :-(

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I played a challenging executive course for the first time ever yesterday (only previous experience golfing on a a very flat, very short Par 3 course). The elevation and hills were brand new to me but I hit my irons really well. Hit an 8 iron on a downslope 140 yards uphill and onto the green and landed it five feet from the hole. Problem was the 7th hole I shot 9 both times on the Par 4. Add in 10 penalty strokes because of there being no opportunity to play a ball off the tee if you miss the fairway (woods) and that's 20 additional strokes. Even if I double bogey that hole both times and cut the penalties from tee shots out I've legitimately shot 15 strokes better. So yeah I hear you on feeling like you played better than the scorecard indicates. I should have realized the driver wasn't working early instead of attempting it again on every Par 4. Felt more like a 90 and ended up a 105.

I saw some scoreboards for an SCGA "Joke play" tournament as one really good golfer who was practicing next to me called it. He probably is one of the only players who could have broken par on this course rated 73/134. There were a surprising number of 68/69 scores on the scoreboard, and made me think back on what he said "Joke Play". This stuck in my mind, and got me thinking about this topics title independently. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

For me, a good round is low 80s, and a round where I kick myself for making mistakes is upper 80s.  That's not a wide difference, and I think that causes me some mental issues at the turn. Half of low 80s is say, 41, and half of upper 80s is say, 44. That's a small number to differentiate good play from bad play.

If I'm feeling good and hitting well, I might be low 40s. But then I psych myself out thinking, "Man I've gotta stay hitting really well just to shoot low 80's... I guess 70s will never happen."  Or if I'm playing well, but had one bad hole, I could think "Geez, I've played so well, but I'm still at 45, so that's a 90, if I repeat this on the back."

The worst feeling is the scenario where you feel you are playing well and just not scoring. Missing that easy up and down, not converting on any 5-10ft putts, whatever.  That gets in your head, because you feel like you are playing better than your score indicates, which adds pressure to keep up your game, or the score could really go south.

Truth is, we just need to relax. There's lots of ways to score out there. Let the score happen and just focus shot to shot.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

For me, a good round is low 80s, and a round where I kick myself for making mistakes is upper 80s.  That's not a wide difference, and I think that causes me some mental issues at the turn. Half of low 80s is say, 41, and half of upper 80s is say, 44. That's a small number to differentiate good play from bad play.

If I'm feeling good and hitting well, I might be low 40s. But then I psych myself out thinking, "Man I've gotta stay hitting really well just to shoot low 80's... I guess 70s will never happen."  Or if I'm playing well, but had one bad hole, I could think "Geez, I've played so well, but I'm still at 45, so that's a 90, if I repeat this on the back."

The worst feeling is the scenario where you feel you are playing well and just not scoring. Missing that easy up and down, not converting on any 5-10ft putts, whatever.  That gets in your head, because you feel like you are playing better than your score indicates, which adds pressure to keep up your game, or the score could really go south.

Truth is, we just need to relax. There's lots of ways to score out there. Let the score happen and just focus shot to shot.

That makes me think about how whenever I'm putting I'm never actually thinking about the putt. The only thing going through my mind is "You're already on your fifth shot...this 10 footer is for double."...

Then I hit it three feet and end up three putting for a snowman.

I mostly feel well about my game when my ballstriking is good relative to my skills. It has very little to do with the actual score I post. If I'm staying out of trouble off the tee and getting nGIR often during a round, I'll feel good about it even if I pitched and putt like total garbage and shot 51 or something. The reverse also happens where I feel like my round sucked if I'm not hitting any full shots decently but manage to scramble well enough to card 45. Just what I enjoy most out of the game I guess.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I hate it when I am striking the ball well (for me) and my score doesn't show it. I feel like I wasted a round whereas if I putt and chip well and score well, then I made something out of nothing.

I mostly feel well about my game when my ballstriking is good relative to my skills. It has very little to do with the actual score I post.

If I'm staying out of trouble off the tee and getting nGIR often during a round, I'll feel good about it even if I pitched and putt like total garbage and shot 51 or something.

The reverse also happens where I feel like my round sucked if I'm not hitting any full shots decently but manage to scramble well enough to card 45.

Just what I enjoy most out of the game I guess.

+1. I think my overall satisfaction is directly correlated to # nGIR, and then boosted up more if GIR can be relatively high. That typically means better scoring, but not always.

This year, I'm averaging about 11/12 nGIR, and ~5GIR per round.

I had a 8 nGIR/5 GIR round, but shot 86.

I had a 14nGIR/4 GIR round, and shot 88.

The 88 felt better, partly because it was a tougher course, but mostly because I was near the green 14/18 times. Definitely enjoyable.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

+1. I think my overall satisfaction is directly correlated to # nGIR, and then boosted up more if GIR can be relatively high. That typically means better scoring, but not always. This year, I'm averaging about 11/12 nGIR, and ~5GIR per round.   I had a 8 nGIR/5 GIR round, but shot 86.  I had a 14nGIR/4 GIR round, and shot 88. The 88 felt better, partly because it was a tougher course, but mostly because I was near the green 14/18 times. Definitely enjoyable.

Well I think part of it is due to the fact that I don't add up my score until the end of the round so I'm not judging my performance based on my score, but I'm pretty sure I just like hitting the ball well most of all.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I've had rounds where I didn't score well, but I felt good about how I played. I've also posted good scores and felt like my game was crap. During a round, though, I pretty much know where I stand. I write my score on the card after every hole, so it's hard not to have an idea of where I stand.

Ok let me rephrase that. When I am striking the ball well and scoring the same as a successful scrambling day, then I'll take the ball striking day. But if it's a day where I was so-so ball striking and I shoot an 83 or a day where I am striking the ball well and I shoot an 89, I'll take the 83 every time. And that is because I had blow up holes and or went OB a few times, and nothing discourages me more. Edit: and this is because I have had some horrible rounds lately where I even striking the ball better than I ever have but have taken a 10 and a 9 during the round. Nothing like playing like a high 70's golfer for 16 holes but shooting an 88 or 90. And that's not a "well if I just would have made that putt or not pulled that ball into the water." It's a "I played the entire course at +5 and two holes at +11.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallT

+1. I think my overall satisfaction is directly correlated to # nGIR, and then boosted up more if GIR can be relatively high. That typically means better scoring, but not always.

This year, I'm averaging about 11/12 nGIR, and ~5GIR per round.

I had a 8 nGIR/5 GIR round, but shot 86.

I had a 14nGIR/4 GIR round, and shot 88.

The 88 felt better, partly because it was a tougher course, but mostly because I was near the green 14/18 times. Definitely enjoyable.

Well I think part of it is due to the fact that I don't add up my score until the end of the round so I'm not judging my performance based on my score, but I'm pretty sure I just like hitting the ball well most of all.

If I remember, I'll try not to add anything up during the round. My next round is late this week with neighbors though, and they're bound to compare notes throughout to see who is up on who. Maybe the next round after that!

My Swing

Ok let me rephrase that. When I am striking the ball well and scoring the same as a successful scrambling day, then I'll take the ball striking day.

But if it's a day where I was so-so ball striking and I shoot an 83 or a day where I am striking the ball well and I shoot an 89, I'll take the 83 every time.

And that is because I had blow up holes and or went OB a few times, and nothing discourages me more.

Edit: and this is because I have had some horrible rounds lately where I even striking the ball better than I ever have but have taken a 10 and a 9 during the round. Nothing like playing like a high 70's golfer for 16 holes but shooting an 88 or 90.

And that's not a "well if I just would have made that putt or not pulled that ball into the water." It's a "I played the entire course at +5 and two holes at +11.

Yeah I get what you're saying. I crushed a 7I off the tee on a Par 3 that was listed at 156. Slightly downhill and ended up over the green and in the woods. Was one of the best 7I I ever hit and it ended up in a drop and a triple. It sucks when you feel like you're hitting it well and still can't make numbers.

Yeah I get what you're saying. I crushed a 7I off the tee on a Par 3 that was listed at 156. Slightly downhill and ended up over the green and in the woods. Was one of the best 7I I ever hit and it ended up in a drop and a triple. It sucks when you feel like you're hitting it well and still can't make numbers.

Exactly.

I mostly feel well about my game when my ballstriking is good relative to my skills. It has very little to do with the actual score I post. If I'm staying out of trouble off the tee and getting nGIR often during a round, I'll feel good about it even if I pitched and putt like total garbage and shot 51 or something. The reverse also happens where I feel like my round sucked if I'm not hitting any full shots decently but manage to scramble well enough to card 45. Just what I enjoy most out of the game I guess.

[quote name="Duff McGee" url="/t/84021/how-you-think-youre-playing-as-opposed-to-how-youre-actually-playing#post_1189571"]I hate it when I am striking the ball well (for me) and my score doesn't show it. I feel like I wasted a round whereas if I putt and chip well and score well, then I made something out of nothing.[/quote] In general, I have to agree with Bill. I definitely feel better about my game now no matter how I score primarily because I'm hitting a lot of near greens and at least 6 in regulation. I can putt 30 or 40 on any given day, but it doesn't make feel any better or worse. I've already broken 80 a few times on different courses, and like my game. I've already crossed my finish line. Sure I inexplicably do dumb stuff for triples and snowmen, but brain farts happen. It doesn't really bother me anymore. I'm very rarely unpleasantly surprised, but sometimes pleasantly surprised. It's pretty common for me to make my 6 GIR and decent number of near greens these days. In regard to the OP, 5 strokes on 9 is a huge discrepancy if you really think your competitor really scored higher. Is it possible that the scores were recorded wrong? This is kind of the feeling I got from the term "Joke Play". I have to admit that I prefer match play format, if I'm playing against someone. Stroke play is really only a benchmark to me, and it's meaningless if you enter the wrong score.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Nature of golf. Last round I shot 49 on the opening 9. Struck it well but didn't have short game down. Had 19 putts and messed up a par 5 badly and a par. Then got sloppy a bit on back 9 but rescued myself with some great irons closer chips and pitches and 1 putted 4 of the last 5 greens the other 2 putt being a 6ft save. The 18th summed up the back 9. Hit a nice 3 wood but left no line of sight. Hit a hybrid too far as it bent left into the green. Ended up under a tree branch with a second not far away. 150 yards to go so I hit hybrid choke down under both trees. Shoot through back of green. Behind a flag pole beside the green hit a high pitch filtering down to the hole. Roll a breaking putt 5ft for the par. Back 9 home in 41. I've learned that I don't get rewards from great shots it's just one shot. Playing tough golf making canny shot selection is the pay off. Think where the ball needs to go and how. Scoring sometimes doesn't reflect how well you hit it

"Repetition is the chariot of genius"

Driver: BENROSS VX PROTO 10.5
Woods: BENROSS QUAD SPEED FAIRWAY 15"
Hybrids:BENROSS 3G 17" BENROSSV5 Escape 20"
Irons: :wilson: DEEP RED Fluid Feel  4-SW
Putter: BENROSS PURE RED
Balls: :wilsonstaff:  Ti DNA

Note: This thread is 3134 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!