IGNORED

Share a Fact from Your Job

iacas
Note: This thread is 2902 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If they could figure out a way to store enough energy to power cities it would transform the world. Unfortunately they haven't even figured out how make a cell phone last more than two days on a charge, so it'll be a while.

I recently upgraded to the big IPhone and at least the figures out how to get it to last longer than an hour or two compared to my 5s so there's that lol.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Contrary to popular belief, $hit does not always run downhill....... Sometimes it's pumped...... :)

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

If copays were required for Medicaid the country would save billions.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Fun fact from my job is practical engineers are still needed in the United States. We still need hands on inventors. The people who become engineers in China are typically book smart non practicing engineers, while the factory technicians do all the actual work and design. It's a cultural thing for scholarly types to avoid getting their hands dirty.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strandly

In land surveying the curvature of the Earth starts to affect measurements at 500 feet.

Wow, that is interesting.

While piloting in the navy, we had a thumbrule that the distance to the horizon (in nautical miles, just over a regular mile) was a tad over the square root of your height (in feet).

So if you were 25ft up, and you barely saw a lighthouse that was 100ft high, you were about 5+10=15 nautical miles away. Or something like that. Close enough. Maybe it was 1.2 factor or something, but ballpark from memory!

Check GPS, or ask the Navigator for the real distance!

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

The company I work for owns and operates the largest airline on the planet. Passengers are not our customers.  Who do I work for?

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

The company I work for owns and operates the largest airline on the planet. Passengers are not our customers.  Who do I work for?

If you're not carrying passengers, then I assume you work for FedEx Express. I don't believe they're the largest airline in terms of fleet size, though.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Here is a question we get fairly often. What does "ton" of cooling mean? Copied and pasted from a website: Anyway, getting back to our main discussion, if you have a ton of ice, it takes (143 BTU/lb) x (2000 lbs) = 286,000 BTUs to melt it completely. You could do that in one hour or 10 hours or a year, depending on how quickly you pump heat into it. Somewhere along the line, though, someone decided to use 1 day—24 hours—as the standard time reference here. If the ice melts uniformly over the 24 hours, it absorbs heat at the rate of 286,000 / 24 hrs = 11,917 BTU/hr. Rounding that number up makes it a nice, round 12,000 BTU/hr. In air conditioning jargon, then, a ton of AC capacity is equal to 12,000 BTU/hr. There it is.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

New law here in N.Y. affecting teachers - we can't give kids an "unhealthy" treat (like a lollipop as a prize for playing vocab bingo) unless we also provide a "healthy" (like carrot sticks) alternative.

I guess I'm glad I don't teach in NY then. I offer candy instead of extra credit for tough optional questions (the ones I give are unlikely to be solved by anyone not already going to get an 'A' anyway, and my school doesn't recognize A+ on transcripts). I suppose if a student ever wanted carrot sticks instead I'd accommodate that.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

[quote name="billchao" url="/t/84158/share-a-fact-from-your-job/18#post_1195248"][quote name="dave s" url="/t/84158/share-a-fact-from-your-job#post_1195244"]The company I work for owns and operates the largest airline on the planet. Passengers are not our customers.  Who do I work for? [/quote]If you're not carrying passengers, then I assume you work for FedEx Express. I don't believe they're the largest airline in terms of fleet size, though.[/quote] [quote name="Braivo" url="/t/84158/share-a-fact-from-your-job/18#post_1195252"][QUOTE name="dave s" url="/t/84158/share-a-fact-from-your-job/18#post_1195244"]   The company I work for owns and operates the largest airline on the planet. Passengers are not our customers.  Who do I work for? [/QUOTE] UPS? [/quote] FedEx? I think UPS is almost as big?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

The closer you are to a water storage tank, the less pressure you will have at your house typically. Minimum pressure required at your house is 20 psi. Not a lot by he way. If you have more than 80 psi going into your house, it will more than likely blow apart your plumbing in your house.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Almost all testing for GPS functionality on a mobile phone is done in a similar manor to the Verizon guy asking "can you hear me now" commercial. Basically a team of two driving around to different locations all over the world and double checking the values are right.

Michael

No matter how the bad the economy is, people always have money for drugs and drug related products.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Note: This thread is 2902 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!