IGNORED

Share a Fact from Your Job

iacas
Note: This thread is 2867 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 2/3/2016 at 11:14 AM, onthehunt526 said:

Over easy eggs are a son of a bitch to not break the yolks on a flat-top grill, there is also a fine line between Over-easy and over-medium... Because when you crack the eggs, you mostly are cooking the white, you mostly are cooking the yolk after you flip it, and Over-easy eggs don't take long...

As a short-order cook for 8 years, I disagree with the former and agree wholeheartily with the latter. I actually find it much easier to make eggs on a flat-top than even in my own home, and I can't stand it when I go out and get overdone eggs.

As an aside, I loved that job. If it was able to provide my family with financial security (or if I won the lottery or something), I'd go back in a heartbeat.

On 2/4/2016 at 11:58 AM, GolfLug said:

One more interesting fact: if you run out of fuel in a diesel engine, it creates a vacuum (because of the high requisite internal 'pre' combustion pressure in the fuel system and has to be 'primed' before you can crank the ignition. Modern engines have inbuilt priming systems. But they are not perfect. This also makes diesel combustion a bit of hassle in extreme cold (if it creates air pockets especially).

It's funny, I learned all of the aforementioned diesel facts while working in a previous job, albeit only practically and not the technical details of everything. I used to give the guys hell when they ran a machine or our dump truck out of fuel because it was a pain in the ass to get it primed again. Also, block heaters FTW!

I don't particularly think my job is interesting to outsiders, but here's a random tidbit: high-limit controls are set to 425°F on fryers because shortening can autoignite at 475°F.

Also, that same shortening (which gets everywhere) can form stalagtites underneath equipment, which can harden up and bake into a black glass-like substance when exposed to constant heat over time. It's actually pretty cool to look at. I'll have to post some pictures when I get the chance.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrator
1 hour ago, billchao said:

Also, that same shortening (which gets everywhere) can form stalagtites underneath equipment, which can harden up and bake into a black glass-like substance when exposed to constant heat over time. It's actually pretty cool to look at. I'll have to post some pictures when I get the chance.

Yes please!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Yes please!

This one has been sitting on my dashboard for a while so it picked up a lot of dust and lost some of its sheen. I'm also holding it upside down because I wanted to catch the details in good light.

It's plastic-like. Hard and brittle in some spots, others are flexible to a certain extent. Still completely combustible. You have to pry and chisel the stuff off the equipment when it gets to this stage.

20160210_143309-1.jpg

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, billchao said:

This one has been sitting on my dashboard for a while so it picked up a lot of dust and lost some of its sheen. I'm also holding it upside down because I wanted to catch the details in good light.

It's plastic-like. Hard and brittle in some spots, others are flexible to a certain extent. Still completely combustible. You have to pry and chisel the stuff off the equipment when it gets to this stage.

I have an idea for you, and it involves etsy… ;-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

I have an idea for you, and it involves etsy… ;-)

Carbon Art. Each piece is one of a kind, perfect for decorating on a shelf or table. It's a conversation starter! Makes a great unique gift special someone in your life!*

*Must be kept at least 36" away from open flames

Bill

My Swing Thread

42 minutes ago, billchao said:

20160210_143309-1.jpg

What's it taste like?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

3 minutes ago, Ernest Jones said:

What's it taste like?

Chicken.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Mmmmmmmm........chicken.:drool:

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

A near-white metal blast cleaned surface, when viewed without magnification, shall be free of all visible oil, grease, dust, dirt, mill scale, rust, coating, oxides, corrosion products, and other foreign matter, except for staining as noted.

Random staining shall be limited to no more than 5 percent of each unit area of surface as defined, and may consist of light shadows, slight streaks, or minor discolorations caused by stains of rust, stains of mill scale, or stains of previously applied coating.

17 hours ago, billchao said:

*Must be kept at least 36" away from open flames

You can't just say shit like that and NOT make us a video of it on fire! ;-)

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

1 hour ago, jamo said:

+1

C'mon, fire that baby up! I wanna see video of it igniting from a proximity heat source!

Yours in earnest, Jason.

2 hours ago, jamo said:

You buy it and I'll light it on fire for you ;-)

1 hour ago, Ernest Jones said:

+1

C'mon, fire that baby up! I wanna see video of it igniting from a proximity heat source!

Has to be direct flame and probably pretty hot, too, by the time it gets to this stage. I've seen them catch fire when they get underneath the fryer and into the firebox. There's a lot of heat right at the burners.

That reminds me of the one time I lit a fryer on fire. I cleaned out the burners because a crew member had complained about the recovery on it and the higher heat output started to melt the hardened grease deposits inside the firebox and they started to catch fire. I wish I took a video of that, it was like watching lava flows. Liquid fire oozing and dripping everywhere.

Of course I was fairly new at the time and didn't realize that there shouldn't have been grease inside the firebox to begin with, but I didn't think anything of it because I was so used to seeing it everywhere under the fryers. I put the fire out with an extinguisher and we condemned the fryer (had to whether it caught fire or not because the pot was leaking... into the firebox). That was a fun day actually. 

Bill

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, billchao said:

You buy it and I'll light it on fire for you ;-)

Has to be direct flame and probably pretty hot, too, by the time it gets to this stage. I've seen them catch fire when they get underneath the fryer and into the firebox. There's a lot of heat right at the burners.

That reminds me of the one time I lit a fryer on fire. I cleaned out the burners because a crew member had complained about the recovery on it and the higher heat output started to melt the hardened grease deposits inside the firebox and they started to catch fire. I wish I took a video of that, it was like watching lava flows. Liquid fire oozing and dripping everywhere.

Of course I was fairly new at the time and didn't realize that there shouldn't have been grease inside the firebox to begin with, but I didn't think anything of it because I was so used to seeing it everywhere under the fryers. I put the fire out with an extinguisher and we condemned the fryer (had to whether it caught fire or not because the pot was leaking... into the firebox). That was a fun day actually. 

When I was in college, the worst job in my fraternity was having to clean the fry-o-lator. I always cooked so I didn't have to do that. :-P

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 11:06 AM, billchao said:

I don't particularly think my job is interesting to outsiders, but here's a random tidbit: high-limit controls are set to 425°F on fryers because shortening can autoignite at 475°F.

Yeah, see, your job is more interesting to others that you thought. 'Black royale crowne' stalagtite is a quite the man-made/natural/unintended piece of art!

:-D

Vishal S.

Ive got a couple maybe a few of you may already know!

Incoming fire has the right of way.

When in doubt, empty your magazine.

Once you are in the fight it is way too late to wonder if this is a good idea.

Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than yourself.

Never forget that your weapon was made by the lowest bidder.

O.E.F VET 11B East Texas!

On 2/11/2016 at 0:51 PM, GolfLug said:

Why is cleaning the fry-o-lator so hard, its actually easy, the oil does most of the work, (the hose is a pain in the ass to get on sometimes), I clean ours an Friendly's from time to time. Sometimes to food bits get stuck in the drain and you have to take a pipe cleaner to it, but its not  hard.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track

Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°

I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110

Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

paradoxal bank fact :

in our banks in france if you take a mortgage of 100 000 euros for 20 years at 2,5 interest rate you will probably pay close to 30 000 euros of interest.

this seams huge to customers.

nevertheless the bank might loose money or have à max a 200 euros margin per year.

the only way we make money is on the mortgage insurance policy part and getting a long time customer in the bank.

5 minutes ago, bubble said:

paradoxal bank fact :

in our banks in france if you take a mortgage of 100 000 euros for 20 years at 2,5 interest rate you will probably pay close to 30 000 euros of interest.

this seams huge to customers.

nevertheless the bank might loose money or have à max a 200 euros margin per year.

the only way we make money is on the mortgage insurance policy part and getting a long time customer in the bank.

How does the bank lose money? Is inflation that bad that the 30,000 euros of interest is not enough to cover it? Is it because the bank no longer has that money at their disposal to invest for a potentially larger return on their investment when compared to a mortgage?

Note: This thread is 2867 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!