IGNORED

Player of the Year - Jordan Spieth? What would Jason Day have to do to win it?

Chilli Dipper
Note:Β This thread is 3120 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. If Jason Day wins again and wins the Fed Ex Cup, Who Should be POY, Jason Day or Jordan Spieth?

• Jason Day
    • Jordan Spieth

Let's say JD wins again in the Playoffs, and picks up the FedEx Cup title. That would give him five victories for the season; would he have a stronger claim to Player of the Year honors over Jordan Spieth?

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5Β° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17Β° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20Β° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60Β° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Let's say JD wins again in the Playoffs, and picks up the FedEx Cup title. That would give him five victories for the season; would he have a stronger claim to Player of the Year honors over Jordan Spieth?

Yes.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't know. Two majors, a runner up in the PGA and a 5-foot putt from a playoff at the British. That along with 4 wins and a win at the World Challenge which had an impressive field even though it was an unsanctioned event. I think Day will have to win at least two more events, including the Fed Ex Cup to make a strong case.

As much as it'd be cool to see Day win PoTY, I think there is no contest, even if he wins the remaining events by record margins and shoots two 59s. Give Spieth the PoTY right now.

To me, it's the majors and 2 wins is more than one, plus Spieth placed better than Day in the majors he didn't win, he was in serious contention. I'm very biased though. Once the PGA is done, I consider the season done, I'm not big on the events after it.

The upcoming Masters has a lot of plotlines - can an Aussie finally win it? Can McIlroy get the career slam? Will Spieth maintain his form? Can Woods pull off a Jack 46? And there will probably be a couple outside the up to now yet to be realized big three that have never contended directly against one another who will say, what are we, minced meat? I think golf's field is deeper than tennis that the big three will be challenged way more than the big four (joker, fed, murray, rafa).

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

As much as it'd be cool to see Day win PoTY, I think there is no contest, even if he wins the remaining events by record margins and shoots two 59s. Give Spieth the PoTY right now.

To me, it's the majors and 2 wins is more than one, plus Spieth placed better than Day in the majors he didn't win, he was in serious contention. I'm very biased though. Once the PGA is done, I consider the season done, I'm not big on the events after it.

The upcoming Masters has a lot of plotlines - can an Aussie finally win it? Can McIlroy get the career slam? Will Spieth maintain his form? Can Woods pull off a Jack 46? And there will probably be a couple outside the up to now yet to be realized big three that have never contended directly against one another who will say, what are we, minced meat? I think golf's field is deeper than tennis that the big three will be challenged way more than the big four (joker, fed, murray, rafa).

I agree, two major victories and two near misses is PoTY without a doubt. Look at the lines below, it doesn't really compare when you consider two of Spieth's victories were majors.

Jason Day:

Jordan Spieth:

Also, your point about the story lines is spot on. I have never looked forward to The Masters this much. This is a truly high point for golf right now. Throw in cool smaller stories like DL3 winning, etc. and you have a fantastic sport to follow.

- Mark

Doh. My apologies to Adam Scott. Can another Aussie win it?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

As much as it'd be cool to see Day win PoTY, I think there is no contest, ..........

To me, it's the majors and 2 wins is more than one, plus Spieth placed better than Day in the majors he didn't win, he was in serious contention..

and reaching #1 for any period of time

Bill -Β 

and reaching #1 for any period of time

Day can actually reach World No. 1 status with a win and help in Boston next weekend.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5Β° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17Β° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20Β° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60Β° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I'm not buying the attitude or motivation thing with Spieth, he's good on both counts, every golfer wants the FedEx cup very badly, because it's $10 million, that money is simply not something anybody takes lightly, and I'm amazed how many insist some golfers phone it in at this time of year, they don't.

Spieth is struggling right now because it's golf, and golf humbles us all, nobody is immune, win today, suck tomorrow.

I'm not buying the attitude or motivation thing with Spieth, he's good on both counts, every golfer wants the FedEx cup very badly, because it's $10 million, that money is simply not something anybody takes lightly, and I'm amazed how many insist some golfers phone it in at this time of year, they don't.

Spieth is struggling right now because it's golf, and golf humbles us all, nobody is immune, win today, suck tomorrow.

Not everybody is motivated by money alone. Β I can see some people slacking off a bit after a long summer season and 4 majors.

People like Rory and Tiger get way way way more money from endorsements than they do from winning golf tournaments anyways.

Tony Β 

:titleist:Β  Β  | Β  :tmade:Β  Β | Β  Β  :cleveland:Β 

If Day wins one more time + the fedex cup, it'll be TOUGH to choose between he and Spieth for PotY. 2 majors + 2 random wins + 2 top 5s in majors = 1 major + 1 top 5 + 1 top 10 (can he get something for battling vertigo?) + 1 WGC + 1 random win + 2 Playoff wins. I call the 2 top 5s in majors a wash due to the vertigo, I think 1 WGC + 2 playoff wins = 1 major. It's Spieth by a head at this point in time, but if Day wins the Fedex Cup, it goes to 50/50.

He could also be burned out a bit.Β Β He's had a great season but he's also had to grindΒ out every tournament to win.

Joe Paradiso

If Day wins one more time + the fedex cup, it'll be TOUGH to choose between he and Spieth for PotY. 2 majors + 2 random wins + 2 top 5s in majors = 1 major + 1 top 5 + 1 top 10 (can he get something for battling vertigo?) + 1 WGC + 1 random win + 2 Playoff wins.

I call the 2 top 5s in majors a wash due to the vertigo, I think 1 WGC + 2 playoff wins = 1 major.

It's Spieth by a head at this point in time, but if Day wins the Fedex Cup, it goes to 50/50.

For me personally,

I think Day takes POTY if he wins the FedEx Cup.

T28 at The Masters

T9 at The US Open (which we all know the story there)

T4 at The Open

1st at The PGA (only player to finish a major at -20)

Victories at Β FedEx Cup - Barclays, RBC Canadian Open and Farmers.

Throw in one more playoff victory AND the season-long points race of the FedEx Cup and to me, he is easily the best golfer of the year. Β  Spieth had a great season with the two majors, but I think Day was the better overall golfer through the year.

Tony Β 

Duval with 4 wins beat out O'Meara w/2 majors in 1998, so there's precedent, but Spieth has been much more consistent than O'Meara.

Here's Spieth vs Day, majors wise, in chronological order:

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/tour-confidential-can-jason-day-pass-jordan-spieth-player-year

http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2015/8/31/9231809/jordan-spieth-jason-day-player-of-the-year-award-the-barclays

Steve

Duval with 4 wins beat out O'Meara w/2 majors in 1998, so there's precedent, but Spieth has been much more consistent than O'Meara.

Here's Spieth vs Day, majors wise, in chronological order:

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/tour-confidential-can-jason-day-pass-jordan-spieth-player-year

http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2015/8/31/9231809/jordan-spieth-jason-day-player-of-the-year-award-the-barclays

If the PGA want the FedEx Cup to be a major deal they would have to take into account playoff wins and FedEx Cup wins much much higher than normal events. Β Not saying equal to a major victory but significantly more important than a Farmers trophy.

That is why I think Day needs to win at least 1 more playoff tournament and the overall FedEx Cup.

Tony Β 

If Day wins the Tour Championship and, thus, the Fedex Cup Title, and Spieth doesn't win one of the weeks prior ... I really don't think you could go wrong picking either. Β I say it's a coin flip.

If Day wins the Tour Championship and, thus, the Fedex Cup Title, and Spieth doesn't win one of the weeks prior ... I really don't think you could go wrong picking either. Β I say it's a coin flip.

This.

If it was decided today, Spieth easy. If neither wins the Tour Championship, probably still Spieth, but much closer.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 SΒ Β Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;Β Β Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts-Β TT AMT Red S300Β ;Β WedgesΒ Vokey SM8Β 56-10DΒ Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5Β Β Ball:Β Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Nah, two majors trumps 1+ the cup.

Also, no offense to the PGA but the Masters and US Open are the bigger events, Jordan has POTY locked already IMO.

Note:Β This thread is 3120 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!