IGNORED

Player of the Year - Jordan Spieth? What would Jason Day have to do to win it?

Chilli Dipper
Note: This thread is 3127 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. If Jason Day wins again and wins the Fed Ex Cup, Who Should be POY, Jason Day or Jordan Spieth?

• Jason Day
    • Jordan Spieth

So he needs to win the Deutsche Bank, the bye week and the BMW championship?!

Deutsche Bank, BMW, and Tour Championship.

I don't think anything else does it for him.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Deutsche Bank, BMW, and Tour Championship.

I don't think anything else does it for him.....

Sorry it was a snarky remark because you said three weeks and there is a bye week in there.  I knew what you meant, just trying to be silly.

I think 2/3 does it for him, personally.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

Is this about the PGA player of the year or

the PGA Tour player of the year?

Because I've read that Spieth has wrapped up the PGA player of the year award (PGA of America, awarded based on a points system)

http://www.foxsports.com/golf/story/jordan-spieth-captures-pga-player-of-the-year-award-081815

Or is this about the PGA Tour player of the year (PGA Tour award, which is voted on by tour players)

Players play, tough players win!

Is this about the PGA player of the year or

the PGA Tour player of the year?

Because I've read that Spieth has wrapped up the PGA player of the year award (PGA of America, awarded based on a points system)

http://www.foxsports.com/golf/story/jordan-spieth-captures-pga-player-of-the-year-award-081815

Or is this about the PGA Tour player of the year (PGA Tour award, which is voted on by tour players)

Yes, this is strictly for the PGA Tour Player of the year, voted on by their peers.

Tony  

Two majors and almost 2 more. Done deal. Day would have to win the Tour Championship in Tiger like style to even have a chance.

I love Jason Day and his emergence in such a big way this year has been the 2nd biggest story in golf and most welcome. But there is nothing he can do the rest of the year to come close to Spieth's accomplishments. Nothing. Nada. Period.

But I think 2016 is set up really well with Spieth, Day, and McIlroy. McIllroy will certainly lose his number one (and further slide) because he'll start giving up points for his 2014 wins. So I think it could shape up as a Day/Spieth battle which would be great for golf since their playing styles are so different.

It's great to be a golf fan right now!

The thing about winning the playoff events is each passing event the field is halved. While it's a competitive field for the first round, whoever has the hot hand advances to the next round, so not necessarily top 60 or top 30 in the field. Plus the fact that it's 3 events in four consecutive events, it becomes a bit more of a war of attrition, whomever has more gas in the tank has the advantage. I just do not find the Fedex events very compelling and the above is why I think it's at best, an argument to be made if Day wins the rest.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

This whole end of season playoff thing is so contrived and artificial. I can't think of another so-called "playoff " in sports where you can skip "playoff events" like last week and still make it to the final. That's ridiculous. And to think that you get more points for winning The Barclays than you do for winning The Masters or the PGA? C'mon. That's just ridiculous.

This whole end of season playoff thing is so contrived and artificial. I can't think of another so-called "playoff " in sports where you can skip "playoff events" like last week and still make it to the final. That's ridiculous. And to think that you get more points for winning The Barclays than you do for winning The Masters or the PGA? C'mon. That's just ridiculous.

Of course it's contrived.  They're doing their best to retain interest after the PGA Championship and I think they're succeeding.  We still don't care about these events as much as the majors, and rightfully so, but they mean more than the tournaments in September and October did before the system was implemented, don't they?

Ummm the NFL has bye weeks in their playoffs. How is that any different?!

Tony  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiethismyhero

Really?  It's different because an NFL team can't just arbitrarily skip a scheduled playoff game because they don't feel like playing or have injured players or whatever.  It would be a forfeit and instant elimination from the playoffs.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Not remotely the same. The NFL doesn't allow individual teams to say "heck, we don't want to play this week or that week but can we keep our place and go directly to the finals?"

Ridiculous.

Damn, Jason Day is on fire this morning. He's really in the ZONE.

Really?  It's different because an NFL team can't just arbitrarily skip a scheduled playoff game because they don't feel like playing or have injured players or whatever.  It would be a forfeit and instant elimination from the playoffs.

[quote name="Spiethismyhero" url="/t/84181/player-of-the-year-jordan-spieth-what-would-jason-day-have-to-do-to-win-it/30#post_1194664"] Not remotely the same. The NFL doesn't allow individual teams to say "heck, we don't want to play this week or that week but can we keep our place and go directly to the finals?" Ridiculous. Damn, Jason Day is on fire this morning. He's really in the ZONE. [/quote]I started writing a post similar to these last night but then realized that I was incorrect. It actually is quite similar because the division winners earn the right to skip the wild card weekend - just like somebody like Spieth could do if he so wanted. Not as dissimilar as you guys think.

I started writing a post similar to these last night but then realized that I was incorrect. It actually is quite similar because the division winners earn the right to skip the wild card weekend - just like somebody like Spieth could do if he so wanted. Not as dissimilar as you guys think.

They don't "earn the right to skip" they have to skip. That's how the system is set up. That can't say "oh we want to play ..." they can't play. Different situations entirely.

They don't "earn the right to skip" they have to skip. That's how the system is set up. That can't say "oh we want to play ..." they can't play. Different situations entirely.

Not sure you understand the concept of "bye". They play all season to earn the bye week. No one would want to play when they can get a bye and move onto the next round. The top Fed Ex golfers have also earned the opportunity to skip a playoff event and move on to the next round. It's not mandatory, no, but it is quite similar.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Not sure you understand the concept of "bye". They play all season to earn the bye week. No one would want to play when they can get a bye and move onto the next round.

The top Fed Ex golfers have also earned the opportunity to skip a playoff event and move on to the next round. It's not mandatory, no, but it is quite similar.

Exactly.  You guys (speithis and mac) can nitpick all you want to say that their not identical ... but nobody would disagree with that.  Of course they're not identical.  However, they are a lot more similar than you're making them out to be.

Exactly.  You guys (speithis and mac) can nitpick all you want to say that their not identical ... but nobody would disagree with that.  Of course they're not identical.  However, they are a lot more similar than you're making them out to be.

I don't think it's nitpicking to point out all the ways it's different and not remotely similar. Another of the main differences is that you get points if you play in the tournament and if you do well you can "leapfrog" in the standings above someone who doesn't play (and according to your arguments gets a "bye"). In the NFL, those who play don't get a chance to get more points and "leapfrog" over those who take the bye. So, no, not remotely similar.

I don't think it's nitpicking to point out all the ways it's different and not remotely similar. Another of the main differences is that you get points if you play in the tournament and if you do well you can "leapfrog" in the standings above someone who doesn't play (and according to your arguments gets a "bye"). In the NFL, those who play don't get a chance to get more points and "leapfrog" over those who take the bye. So, no, not remotely similar.

It is nitpicking because you're pointing out the ways in which they're different and then concluding that they're not "remotely" similar.  If you want to say that they are very different, then that's fine, I agree.  They are very different.  But there are also similarities, so you're conclusion that they are not "remotely similar" is incorrect.

Also, consider backing up a week into the last week of the season and comparing the team sports to the Fedex Cup.  Teams that have locked up a big enough lead to assure themselves a certain seed get to rest their best pitchers or their QB or any of their players nursing injuries, whereas the teams on the bubble that are fighting to make it to the postseason HAVE to scrape and claw just to get there.  They don't have that same luxury, they can't "skip events."  Not a dissimilar situation to, say, Jordan Spieth and Tiger Woods a couple of weeks ago, or Rory McIlroy and Eric Compton last week.

Note: This thread is 3127 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!